Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat re-upholster VS new seat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcaschera
Hey all,
I recently purchased a pretty hacked up 914, the wind shield and the targa bar are CHOPPED OFF. So i got the beast running and will soon reweld the windshield back on so i can play and sort the drive train until i receive my doner shell. In the meantime the short, "bugs in my teeth" test drives i have taken it on resulted in a feeling like i was hit in the liver with a Louisville Slugger. Can anyone point me in the direction of a relatively inexpensive upholstery kit that includes new seat padding, or am i better off looking for a used race bucket seat? I am probably looking to spend about $200 or so. Am i dreaming or is this a reasonable budget for the project at hand. I will AX and or DE at some point but not too soon as i am going to swap almost the entire car to a different shell due to the chop, and i am not ready to spend a grand on seats just yet. I just want something that will not kill my back and keep my ass in the basket through the twisties. Any advise or suggestions welcomed . Thanks.
bcaschera
Anone heard of this brand? there are several on the same web site: andysautosport.com this seat is only $150 confused24.gif cant really go wrong at that price, unless I can find an upholstery kit with the padding for less or close to the same price.
Click to view attachment
silk autoracing
messix
strip the stock seat and glue some neoprene where you need it for comfort. cheap race seat.
Lennies914
Our local Kragen Auto parts has those seats for $150.00 ea. I was curious as well if they would fit. Seams awful cheap.
tat2dphreak
if they fit, that's a hell of a deal... I would check with a local upholstery shop, get a quote or 2 there smile.gif
bcaschera
Local upholsterers charge 2-5 hundred dollers plus the kit ... or were you saying to get a price on the kit??
tat2dphreak
wow, some local ones here will do it for much less sad.gif sorry.
effutuo101
I was quoted 400, I provide the material and a good pattern (or the original seat that has not been disassembled). I think it would be cheaper to go to a taylor...I told the guy that for a couple of hundred more, I could get brand new seats in the color and style I wanted. But, that is how he makes his money.
bfrymire
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Mar 17 2010, 08:34 PM) *

Local upholsterers charge 2-5 hundred dollers plus the kit ... or were you saying to get a price on the kit??

I am local to you (Sunnyvale) and I had a guy in San jose do it for $75 per seat. I can look for the name, if you want it.

How about used seats? You can usually find some good 914 seats for very little money. Shoot, I have an extra lying around. I saw some sell very, very cheap not that long ago.

-- brett
underthetire
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Mar 18 2010, 12:53 AM) *

I am local to you (Sunnyvale) and I had a guy in San jose do it for $75 per seat. I can look for the name, if you want it.

How about used seats? You can usually find some good 914 seats for very little money. Shoot, I have an extra lying around. I saw some sell very, very cheap not that long ago.

-- brett

Shoot, I want it. Sunnyvale is only an hour for me. I just bought a sewing machine to try myself, the guy up here wanted 900 blink.gif just for the two seats.
cobra94563

-- brett

if you find the name of the place, can you PM me with it? I need some seat work. Thanks.
bcaschera
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Mar 18 2010, 08:34 AM) *

-- brett

if you find the name of the place, can you PM me with it? I need some seat work. Thanks.

$75 w00t.gif just for the labor? or the upholstery too? Post the guys contact info here then we can all get some fresh seats.
bfrymire
The whole ball of wax:

I bought seat kit from GPR for around $250 (for both), and then I paid the guy in San Jose (Custom Upholstery) install the new covers for $75 each. (This was around 2004 or so. Need to adjust prices slightly)

I can call and make sure he is still there or get another guy to do it. (I have some friends in the industry who give me lists of people to go to.)

-- brett

QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 18 2010, 07:21 AM) *

-- brett

Shoot, I want it. Sunnyvale is only an hour for me. I just bought a sewing machine to try myself, the guy up here wanted 900 blink.gif just for the two seats.

bcaschera
Custom Upholstery? on El Camino Real? did you kit from GPR include padding?
bfrymire
Best to call Jonothan and see what he has in seat kits. As I mentioned, it was back in 2004 that I did this.

No, that must be someone different. I went to someone near J-Town. Just down the street from Metric Masters.

I am at work so, don't have the phone number on me.

-- brett

QUOTE(bcaschera @ Mar 18 2010, 11:47 AM) *

bfrymire
Sorry I wasn't so clear on this. I reread my posts, and I thought you had the kits already.

So, it cost me, in 2004, $250 for the kit and then another $150 ($75/seat) to have it installed. At the time, I was happy with the price.

This is not too far from what some people have quoted. (Someone mentioned about 200 over the cost of the kit.)

The place is called Custom Upholstery, and the guy's name is Tony. 408 529 3720 If he asked about who referred, it was my friend, Ernie.

-- brett

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Mar 18 2010, 12:56 PM) *

Best to call Jonothan and see what he has in seat kits. As I mentioned, it was back in 2004 that I did this.

No, that must be someone different. I went to someone near J-Town. Just down the street from Metric Masters.

I am at work so, don't have the phone number on me.

-- brett

QUOTE(bcaschera @ Mar 18 2010, 11:47 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.