Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel Bearing Puller For Rent?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
Hey all,

My '74 914 is in dyer need of new rear wheel bearings and i need the extractor tool to pull them out. Really don't feel like shelling out the $250 to buy one or taking off the entire trailing arm to have a shop press them out. Anyone willing to rent one to me? Not sure what the going rental is on these things, but I'm in TN and would pay for shipping both ways.

Thanks

Trevor
dangrouche
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...conversion2.htm

you don't rent a puller, you need a BFH preferably a 3 lb. sledge, some steel pipe or solid bar stock if got it, a little PB blaster and hammer away. The bird board listed above desribes in detail the R&R process. My first rear bearing removal was the improvised use of a large monkey wrench as a driving pin and a regular 16oz hammer and lots of pounding. I learned then, 24 years ago, get the right tool for the job. so either fabricate or buy what's listed above in the bird article or see what you have in your shop that you can improvise.
underthetire
This is all you need. Makes the job easy
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=5223
and it goes on sale all the time. No damage, no headaches.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 18 2010, 01:32 AM) *

Oooh - cool link...
I need to pull an axle on the Titanic and I've been looking at hub pullers (I already have a slide hammer but most of the little screw-on bits have migrated through the years...). But that's got the other useful bits and accessories, a cute box to put it all in, _and_ the hub puller, for about what I've been ready to pay for the puller alone. I have no doubt those are better hub pullers - but I don't need one very often (so far this lifetime - once).
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 17 2010, 09:32 PM) *

This is all you need. Makes the job easy
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=5223
and it goes on sale all the time. No damage, no headaches.

Awesome.

It makes a handy beer drinking game too... beerchug.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 18 2010, 04:18 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 18 2010, 01:32 AM) *

Oooh - cool link...
I need to pull an axle on the Titanic and I've been looking at hub pullers (I already have a slide hammer but most of the little screw-on bits have migrated through the years...). But that's got the other useful bits and accessories, a cute box to put it all in, _and_ the hub puller, for about what I've been ready to pay for the puller alone. I have no doubt those are better hub pullers - but I don't need one very often (so far this lifetime - once).

Thats just it, HF is great for those of us that do something once a year, the living wrenches probably want a little better.
IronHillRestorations
Where are you at? I'm in Parsons, TN. I have a rear bearing puller that doesn't require removing the trailing arm.
sean_v8_914
Eric Shea has a video on his PMB performance site about how to get teh race off the stub.
if you heat teh trailing arm around teh bearing it comes out like butter.
ghuff
My favorite method for race removal is to use a dremel, and slice it going | looking down at hte race almost all the way through, then using a flathead scrwedriver in the gap twisted to break it free and slide it off.

No heat applied, no issues and super quick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.