Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: '75 L80E California car with 48K original miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
johnnie5
Up for sale is my 1975 Light Ivory 914. Originally shipped to California as a 1.8 and lived here all of its life (many of its years in a warehouse). The odometer reads just over 48,000 ~ supposedly original ~ documented only by old smog certificates, appearance and stories from the p.o. The car really does show well. It has had one respray before I acquired it, and the paint is in excellent condition - not withstanding a few chips and blemishes. Last January the car saw a major transformation with a new 2056 and a 5 lug conversion, as well as many other odds and ends... pretty much whatever else it needed.

So lets start with the powerplant:

Its a McMark 2056 built on a GA case with a 9580 Raby cam. The 2.0 heads were machined by Adrian at Head Flow Masters and are stock with the exception of a 12mm plug conversion. I am currently running 40 IDF Italian Webers that were fully rebuilt and jetted per Jake's spec, controlled by CB hex bar linkage. The 9580 will support carburators or aftermarket FI, such as Megasquirt, just not stock FI. For ignition, I am running a Mallory optical dizzy with spiral wires and an MSD 6A module, no tach adaptor needed. I was lucky enough to find a pair of nos 2.0 ssi heat exchangers from a member here on the board, coupled with a new 2.0 Burch exhaust - both back dated '73. This motor runs amazingly, and seems to just have broken in at about 4K total on it. I would highly recommend a McMark $5K 2056 to ANYONE looking for a substantial upgrade from stock in a very reliable motor. I just can't say enough good things about this motor and the guy who builds them.

On to suspension:

A fresh 5 lug conversion was done correctly with 911 front struts, new vented rotors and rebuilt M calipers from Eric Shea. I also purchased a pair of rebuilt 5 lug trailing arms and new 914-6 rotors from Eric. He is quite the perfectionist, but we all know this. Brand new Bilsteins went in all the way around, as well as a new pair of Weltmiester 100LB springs. I had US Wheels here in San Diego refinish a set of 15 X 6J Fuchs and wrapped them with brand new Goodyear EagleGT 195 60 15's. Brand new alloy lug nuts fasten them on. The rear calipers were replaced (because of frozen ebrake hardware supposedly) about 4 years ago by the p.o. from the dealer, at the tune of $450 a piece... I have the receipts. Speaking of that, I actually have pretty much every reciept pertaining to the build of this car in a file. Obviously new pads were installed all the way around at the time of the conversion (Jan '09). On a side note... I did not originally replace the master cylinder when I did the conversion, but did just recently buy an Ate 19mm from Mr. Shea and install it. I also recently did the tedious job of installing a factory sway bar with Weltmiester adjustable drop links, which made a noticable difference. In addition, when I had the front suspension apart, I installed Lemforder turbo tie rods from Mr. Shea. I had Jay at Mirage International corner balance and align the car after it came down off the rack.

Interior:

I took out the original carpet kit and addressed some minor surface rust that had started behind the seats due to the rear window having lost its seal. I obviously resealed it with 3M butal tape while in there. I then installed a new black carpet kit from James at 914 A&P. I also installed some of his great speaker pods (more on the stereo in a minute). There is an Engman pedal board on the driver side as well as an aftermarket gas pedal, dead pedal and clutch/brake pedal covers. I replaced the top bearing in the steering column (due to some wheel play, broken plastic bearing sleeve) as well as the wiper switch that had stopped functioning. I also converted the wiper squirters to electric. The steering wheel is a Momo Montecarlo in perfect condition. For gauges, I am running the stock voltmeter and a rebuilt clock in the a/c style center console, with an Aircraft Spruce cht. Just above where the a/c console stops short is a perfect spot for a 2 gauge VDO bracket holding VDO temp and pressure guages. I did choose to install the Weltmiester short shifter in this car... and I love it. However, I do still have the stock shifter that I will include in the sale. There is an Alpine head unit in the dash, along with a pair of 6" Alpine speakers in James' pods. I also cut two more 5 1/4" MB Quartz speakers into the center console. There is also a Sony Explod 10" sub box in the passenger footwell. A 4 channel Alpine amp powers the mids and a Fosgate amp powers the sub - neatly mounted in the front trunk. The seats had already been re-upholstered by the p.o., in black and white houndstooth... and an extremely sanitary job, I might add. There were a few minor cracks in the dash - So I had it re-upholestered as well. I made a wise purchase in yelo914's (Raul) door threshold sills and carpet rails, they are simply beautiful workmanship, and look great with the Engman pedal board and aftermarket pedal assembly. The floorboards have a pair of Lloyds floor mats in charcoal with a white 914 emblem custom cut and piped on the driver side to show off Marks beautiful pedal board. Also a few pieces of weatherstripping were replaced as needed.

Transmission:

The tranny has always shifted perfectly, so I have only changed the gear oil and run it!

Miscellaneous:

I added a passenger factory mirror that I got from Bruce Stone, as well as changing out the door strike and trunk hardware with his great replated inventory. I also swapped out the factory USA rear lenses for factory Euro rears to match the Euro fronts that were already in place. The p.o. had installed a rear reflector, which I am ok with. Someone had rigged a manual trunk release pull into the engine compartment, which I was not ok with.... So I installed an Engman trunk release - another great product from our talented vendors here on the World! Speaking of... I also installed a beautiful fiberglass copy of the LE front valance from James, which fit perfectly. When I was installing the 2056, I broke down both half axles to the shafts and fully rebuilt all of the cv's with new hardware, boots and grease. I also replaced the speedo and clutch cables with Terry cables. Immediately upon reciept of this vehicle, I realized a rust problem in the gas tank. I removed it and treated it with an Eastwood tank treatment kit as well as replacing all of the rubber fuel line under the tank and in the engine compartment, a new fuel pump, regulator and filters. The plastic fuel line appears to be in exceptional condition and did not warrant replacing. There is a CB PCV vent box venting both valve covers and back to the oil filler neck. Space saver spare and original jack.

Well that is all I can think of right now, I am sure I am forgetting something. I am not too happy to be offering this car up for sale, but I need working capital for other adventures... and this will surely not be my last 914 ~ perhaps just my nicest.

This car is in exceptional condition, and runs wonderfully. It needs absolutely NOTHING but to be driven and enjoyed!

$16,500 is my asking price. REDUCED TO $15,900. SOLD!

Thank you,
John Hopkins
Cairo94507
Very nicely done car. Good luck.
johnnie5
Thank you Cairo. I spent countless hours and plenty of $$$ getting this car to where it is now. It was a practically rust free, obviously low mile platform to to begin with though. It was kept in a bubble. I have very mixed feelings about letting it go. I would like to flare and maybe /6 a car, but this one is just too clean to do that to - I refuse to cut into this beautiful example. The new owner will be getting a solid teener!
Michael N
I keep going back to look at the car. I don't need another but think that car is stunning. drooley.gif

Bumped.
johnnie5
Thank you Michael. The pictures don't do the car justice, it looks even better in person!

johnnie5
Sunday icon_bump.gif for a very sweet 914. Any realistic offer welcome... send your ppi's, or even better yet ~ c'mon down and drive away happy! driving.gif
bcheney
Very nice looking 75. The houndstooth instserts are way cool. Best of luck with the sale. Someone is going to get a nice one!
AZ914
Very nice! Best of luck with the sale.
IronHillRestorations
Nice, very nice! Good luck with the sale.
johnnie5
Thanks guys!
jjbunn
I wish my L80E looked as good as yours smile.gif
johnnie5
icon_bump.gif
johnnie5
Sunday icon_bump.gif
johnnie5
icon_bump.gif Had a few offers, but she's still for sale!
johnnie5
icon_bump.gif PRICE REDUCTION - $15,900
johnnie5
icon_bump.gif SOLD!
GTeener
pretty. someone is mighty lucky.
william1764
VERY nice. Had it not been on the left coast I would have been all over it. Just not that comforatble moving fast without seeing in person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.