Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Gasket Set - Why 2 Sets of Head Gaskets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
Bought a Victor Reinz gasket set for my 1.8 from Pelican. Why does it contain two sets of head gaskets?
ConeDodger
Two different bolt patterns for different heads.
type47
? I was thinkin' that the gasket set works for both 1.7 and 1.8 so instead of stocking 2 gasket sets, stock just one that works for both.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Sailor @ Mar 17 2010, 10:53 PM) *

Bought a Victor Reinz gasket set for my 1.8 from Pelican. Why does it contain two sets of head gaskets?

maybe head gaskets and cylinder base gaskets.
Sailor
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 18 2010, 07:27 AM) *

One set of head gaskets were packaged with the cylynder base gaskets the other with what I think are carburator manifold gaskets. My concern, and I hate to admit this, is that I put one set in already and have the heads and pushrod tubes installed. If they are for different heads, 1.7 vs 1.8 I assume they are different diameters. Which means I may have put the wrong ones in. Don't really want to tear the heads off to find out, but I am afraid the nagging doubt will force it unless there is a reasonable explaination for two sets of the same size. headbang.gif
ME733
QUOTE(Sailor @ Mar 18 2010, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 18 2010, 07:27 AM) *

One set of head gaskets were packaged with the cylynder base gaskets the other with what I think are carburator manifold gaskets. My concern, and I hate to admit this, is that I put one set in already and have the heads and pushrod tubes installed. If they are for different heads, 1.7 vs 1.8 I assume they are different diameters. Which means I may have put the wrong ones in. Don't really want to tear the heads off to find out, but I am afraid the nagging doubt will force it unless there is a reasonable explaination for two sets of the same size. headbang.gif

....................well salor....Were the head gaskets actually the same size, as you state...meaning WAS the O.D. the same AND the I.D. the same for BOTH SETS?....
HAM Inc
The 1.7 head gaskets are 5mm smaller than the 1.8/2.0 gaskets making it very obvious that something is wrong if you try to install the wrong ones.

And let me ask you this... why are using the head gaskets anyway?
Sailor
Think I have this figured out, Ham you're right the 1.7 seals are much smaller and would have been obvious. Apparently some of these kits are packaged to accomodate 1.8 and 2.0 engines. The spec's I have seen show these seals measuring 93x104 and 94x105mm respectively. based on this I did put the correct ones in.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Sailor @ Mar 18 2010, 09:00 PM) *

Think I have this figured out, Ham you're right the 1.7 seals are much smaller and would have been obvious. Apparently some of these kits are packaged to accomodate 1.8 and 2.0 engines. The spec's I have seen show these seals measuring 93x104 and 94x105mm respectively. based on this I did put the correct ones in.

This is actually what I was saying, badly apparently. All three sets I have bought, including the one in the garage were set for any of the three engine configurations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.