Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 engine shroud and front valance question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgrisanti
Is the stock front vanlance the exact same from 1970 through 1976. Is the 914-6 black engine shroud the exact sme as the one used in the same year 1970 911?
IronHillRestorations
Yes, on the valance. The engine shroud is the same as a 69 911T
type47
QUOTE(9146986 @ Mar 18 2010, 05:27 AM) *

The engine shroud is the same as a 69 911T

What would I look for to tell if it would fit a 69T?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Green is CIS engines like 2.7's.

Black is what I think you want to look for?
Mark Henry
If you want original use the '69 shroud, for better cooling use the later shroud, but it won't matter much on a stock 2.0
sixaddict
Isn't green also early E ...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 18 2010, 07:57 AM) *

Green shrouds were introduced with the 1969 911E (2.0) and red shrouds of the era designated the 911S. 911T shrouds were black until the 1972 911T (2.4), when the yellow shroud was introduced. The 1973 2.4T CIS engines had black shrouds. With the introduction of the 2.7, the plain 2.7 had a black shroud, IIRC, and the S had a red shroud. Seems to me the "Carrera" version had a red shroud as well, but that makes sense as the 1974 Carrera was a tarted up 911S. Same car with modest rear flares and trim options.
Later shrouds (post 1971, I think) offered improved cooling, and can be identified by the removable oil cooler "bump", as opposed to the fixed style.

The Cap'n
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 18 2010, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 18 2010, 07:57 AM) *

Green shrouds were introduced with the 1969 911E (2.0) and red shrouds of the era designated the 911S. 911T shrouds were black until the 1972 911T (2.4), when the yellow shroud was introduced. The 1973 2.4T CIS engines had black shrouds. With the introduction of the 2.7, the plain 2.7 had a black shroud, IIRC, and the S had a red shroud. Seems to me the "Carrera" version had a red shroud as well, but that makes sense as the 1974 Carrera was a tarted up 911S. Same car with modest rear flares and trim options.
Later shrouds (post 1971, I think) offered improved cooling, and can be identified by the removable oil cooler "bump", as opposed to the fixed style.

The Cap'n

Yup! Kinda remember now. Jeff (sixnotfour) filled me in on the color coding years back. Couldn't remember. I also remember the later shroud thing about better cooling.
Mark Henry
So one I have is a black '69 T shroud (no bump or doghouse)

And a green shroud....I think, about a dozen layers of black paint. It was suppose to be off of a '75S CIS??? confused24.gif
It has the dog house, bump and the hood for the back of the alternator. Pretty sure it's the one in the middle picture.
IronHillRestorations
The 914-6 doesn't have the removeable piece over the oil cooler, which makes it a PITA if you have to remove the oil cooler.

What you use depends on the level of "correctness" you want. Unless you are going for a "as delivered" look, I'd opt for the later shroud and paint it black.
sgrisanti
Thank you guys. What about the front valance
Cap'n Krusty
I believe they're all the same. Might wanna check with the guys who hang out in the originality forum, elsewhere on this site. The Cap'n
Scott S
I just finished fitting a raw amber shroud to my motor. Came out uber cool. Got it from Getty. Fit was great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.