Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I am intersted in mufflers for my six/ but info should be applicable for a four as well
i currently have one that from my perspective is to loud
one sold in classifieds that from his perspective was too quiet
some have more restrictive designs
some are made of better stainless
some are made of plain ole mild steel
so put your thoughts and preferences down
or if you have charts of db and horsepower ratings lets get it all down in one thread
muffler dealers/manufacters welcome
tat2dphreak
as much as I'd like to speak from my own usage, I cannot, I've had a monza which was too loud by anyone's standards, AND a HP killer.

and I have something "custom" on mine... it looks like the former owner took a bursh, and cut out the muffler part, and had a flowmaster welded back on it's place... so who knows wtf it really is....

when I go to buy tho, my first choice is the Triad, and I think they have both a -4 and a -6 version.
PeeGreen 914
M&K gives the perfect mid level tone without being too loud Steve. I love the Triad myself but I know some feel it is too much. M&K's regular Muffler is the best I have heard while being on the quiet side.
whatabout1

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102693
dflesburg
I have an m&k sport muffler.

I dont use it much. I usually run megaphones (yes its a street car)

I live in Ohio, its no louder than my neighbors harley.
ME733
..........I have both ...(2)..of the Bursch 4- cylinder systems....their" Quiet" street muffler/system is presently on the car. for me it,s just right......the other one.(Bursch)... is also a street system, but has the "tubular" mufflers., and is a little more "noisey".....the reason I am using Bursch is that Roger Bursch has been making -4- cylinder systems for years.(35maybe)?....and I know he has developed the designs from customer feedback, and on track racing and testing.The bursch STREET systems are well built and a good value for the price...I have NOT had any of the "droning at certain RPM ranges"/ "resonance"....Other people have had and with OTHER manufactures on OTHER threads on 914 world....A significant aspect of "what works best" and "it,s too loud" and "the muffler blew apart" ...etc...relates too what engine modifications were done (compression ratio and cam changes are biggies) and an exhaust systems ability to achieve every demand placed on it.(" 'X"- system is so quiet you cannot hear the engine running-AND puts out 400 more HP.!!!!.)...those systems do not exist and never will....I have found that the Bursch systems are an excellant compromise In noise abatement and engine HP outputFOR a STREET SYSTEM.....Chris Folley(s.p.) makes the best RACING system, as it,s specialized design...and quality..., allows for MAXIMUM hp output----obviously it,s NOT QUIET!!!!....my 2,5 cents worth......Murray.
ClayPerrine
Betty has a Bursch on her 4, and likes it. I have had both a Bursch and a stock 911 hotdog muffler on my six, and of the two I prefer the stock 911 hotdog muffler. It is quieter at idle and low speeds, and it doesn't have the resonance at 3k that the Bursch does. And that is where I spend most of my time when on the freeway. But when you get it up above 3k, then it gives a nice growl.....

Just my $.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.