Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone measure temperature of thier calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
just curious what temperature differential between the front and the rear brakes are???

i've heard and read that even with some of these big heavy european cars (non-Porsche) that doing the big brake upgrades in the rear of the vehicle is pretty much a waste of money ($3000 in some cases)

has anyone done a 911 front or big brake upgrade and have to put vented rotors in the back due to overheating????
Brad Roberts
Yes. When you have the brake bias dialed in the fronts are usually only 50deg or so hotter than the rears.

(which is why I know a Tee works well for most everyone.)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 28 2004, 09:21 PM)
(which is why I know a Tee works well for most everyone.)

except me sad.gif

gotta get myself some bigger brakes in the back ...
Andy
campbellcj
Kind of OT but I have been mildly freaked by how MUCH smaller the rear brakes are on my Audi than the fronts. The fronts are fairly friggen huge, and the rears are "mini me" sized...visually look smaller than 914/4 rears and this is a 3400lb car...

Obviously most newer cars are tuned from the factory with massively front-biased brakes (and massive understeer). It "feels" safer to your average joe american driver.

On the other hand, it definitely took a while to get used to having rear brakes on the 914 actually contributing to braking.
Brad Roberts
Or put smaller calipers on the front...LOL

B
machina
I have never been a big fan of putting huge rotors and calipers on cars that just don't need it.

The guys with british cars at the track think my stock solid rotors are HUGE because they have even small rotors with drums in back.

One of those shows on speed added some big rotors on a compact car with about 200hp. When they dynoed it after the brake upgrade, it lost 7hp due to the added weight and circumference of the rotor.

If you have 300+hp and run tracks with long staights (and your class allows it, mine doesn't), get some big reds, otherwise learn how to slow the car properly.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.