Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Inserts on Fuch 2.0Ls
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dank
I've read the Fuch 2.0L Alloys didn't come with the inserts painted black. Is it difficult to paint them black yourself?

I guess it's a question of painting over chrome (blasting the chrome off and priming). Does painting the inserts black affect the value? What seems to be more in demand?

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(dank @ Mar 18 2010, 08:01 PM) *

I've read the Fuch 2.0L Alloys didn't come with the inserts painted black. Is it difficult to paint them black yourself?

I guess it's a question of painting over chrome (blasting the chrome off and priming). Does painting the inserts black affect the value? What seems to be more in demand?

Click to view attachment

Assuming that they're genuine Fuchs 2L forged alloy wheels & not knock-offs, then the highest value on those wheels would be a perfectly preserved or restored factory finish, neither of which above pix are correct OE, as the background is a matte or stain finish, while the rim & petals are semi-polished.

The one on the right looks like the repro version, but some folks paint up the real ones that black & other colors too. The one on the left looks like a fully polished one - either real or repro - & is not the correct original finish either.

Also, the real ones are not chromed, but are polished/satin finish and anodized alloy. This is the correct original finish, center caps & lugs:
IPB Image

Look here for more shots of a perfectly preserved set above on Sahara Beige 73 914-2.0 -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101921

... and look here for these Fuchs 2L & other OE wheels & tires info. -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74857

Hope this helps! biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
At the dealership where I worked, the lot boys painted 'em with rattle cans. No prep other than washing them and masking them off. The Cap'n
dank
Thanks guys for the info and links. Thought I did a pretty good search but I guess not.

From the second link, post #16:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=894665

When Mark says the "black backgrounds are not original", what does that mean? What would an original black background mean, if they weren't done at the factory?
rjames
QUOTE(dank @ Mar 18 2010, 08:40 PM) *

Thanks guys for the info and links. Thought I did a pretty good search but I guess not.

From the second link, post #16:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=894665

When Mark says the "black backgrounds are not original", what does that mean? What would an original black background mean, if they weren't done at the factory?

These wheels never came from the factory with the black background. 'Original black background' is meaningless. If the backgrounds are painted black they are either reproduction wheels, or they were painted at the dealership or by a previous owner.
dank
Thanks Robert. Since I want mine with black inserts (and they're currently not), I'm debating whether I should paint them or maybe trade with someone who already has ones that are...
ConeDodger
If you come on down to WCR 2010 "Teeners in Tahoe" Harvey Weidman of Weidman Wheels will be speaking. You can ask him all about it but he will tell you interesting tidbits about the 914 wheels and Porsche wheels in general.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 19 2010, 08:29 AM) *

If you come on down to WCR 2010 "Teeners in Tahoe" Harvey Weidman of Weidman Wheels will be speaking. You can ask him all about it but he will tell you interesting tidbits about the 914 wheels and Porsche wheels in general.

That's worth it in itself....
iamchappy
I personally like the factory finish of satin background polished paddles, the blacked out backgrounds on a four spoke or paddle wheel just doesn't look right to me.
URY914
Never liked the black inserts. But what do I know.....
7TPorsh
Painted mine and wish i hadn't...wanna trade??
IronHillRestorations
I don't like the black paint on 4 lug Fuchs. Original style anodized, or fully polished, but try and make them look like 5 lug wheels??? barf.gif
Katmanken
I loved the shape of the wheels and only saw the black/silver version at first.

Then later I saw the all silver ones in pictures and liked them better.

But when I found and bought a matched set of 5 perfect originals with the anodize/polish factory finish......

it was LUST..........

That subtle polish/anodize finish is perfect......

The black paint will make people think you have the cheap Rivieras......

But it's your car, have at it.
dank
Gary, sent you a PM.

Hm...WCR 2010 sounds cool, will have to read more on that.
john grier
I learned something from this post biggrin.gif
Back in the 70's when we were just learning about these cars.
That is to say, checking the different type wheels.
Way back when I chose the Fuch over all others,
Not knowing thing about it but the looks.
I was told then that it came from the factory with the black pattern.
I said no, I do not like that.
I like it better all shiney,
Not todays standard of all chrome.
Just goes to show that black on the wheel was wrong!
Wrong then, and wrong now.
Just my 2 cents worth.
John
dank
For those who have painted their inserts black, did you use a glossy or a matte black paint? I've never actually seen any in person and so am not sure which I want to go with. TIA
carr914
I did Matte, very simple to do depending on the condition of the wheel.

Granted, it's not original. But it's your car and whatever allows you to enjoy it more.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
When I redid mine, I used glossy. Came out better than expected.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Krieger
I used a satin. I loved the look! I got a lot of compliments.
underthetire
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 19 2010, 08:29 AM) *

Lennie and I got to hang out with the Weidmans during Bugorama, those guys sure do know there stuff. And super nice guys to.
benalishhero
Perfect. I just picked up a used Fuch. PArt number stamped on the back. The inserts are black, and was wondering if this was normal. Now I know.
pete-stevers
you can paint em, polish em, strip em, paint em again
do what you want ...it is easy to change it... it just takes time
i have changed my wheels almost every year that i have owned the car

i have a few issues... that much i know... blink.gif
carr914
Pete, we all have Issues, we own 914s biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Porsche dealers use to sell Fuch Black paint in rattle cans. Wonder if they still do?
jsayre914
i painted mine with a flat black, came out awesome. smile.gif

after months of driving as my dd i got tired of touching up the paint sad.gif

now i stripped them and polished them, they have been perfect ever after piratenanner.gif

here was my restoration thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=83937&hl=
carr914
Saw this car at Petit LeMans, I was impressed with the nice polish finish

Click to view attachment
DanT
like this biggrin.gif
jsayre914
this is mine with all the black paint stripped, i like it better all polished smile.gif
mjl1147
I recently bought a set that was painted, and I wanted to get back to original. It only took part of a day to strip the paint off using aircraft stripper available at most auto parts stores. So as mentioned above, paint them to your satisfaction, and if you change your mind, strip the paint off and move on.

There was thread on this sometime back that talked about how to paint wheels, and included a link to a Dupli-Color video on how to prep, paint, etc. It was a few years ago; but may be helpful if you can find it.
bembry
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 19 2010, 08:43 AM) *

I personally like the factory finish of satin background polished paddles, the blacked out backgrounds on a four spoke or paddle wheel just doesn't look right to me.

agree.gif black inserts look like ass
DanT
QUOTE(bembry @ Jun 17 2010, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 19 2010, 08:43 AM) *

agree.gif black inserts look like ass

geeze,,,,,tell us how you really feel..

It is up to each person as to how they want to have their wheels appear....none is any better or worse than the other, just different.
Your car, make it the way you want it. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.