Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Know This Car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
Anyone Know This Car???

I hope this clown isn't someone here, a ex-show car, yes, the thing is 3 different colors. Sounds like a WANNA-Be Big boy who read an Exellence market update but doesn't understand what it takes for a "real" 914-6 to be worth $14K minus the engine & tranny.. I'm sorry, this guy comes across as a total ASS-WIPE

REAL 1970 Porsche 914-6 complete roller Price: 14000
Selling my real 1970 Porsche 914-6.
-One of, less than 3,800 shipped to the US From Stuttgart, Germany.
-No engine, or transaxle.
-Complete roller, ready to drive once engine/trans are installed.
-Great condition ex-showcar.
-fuchs are great, glass is great, interior is good, brakes are AMAZING, and the suspension is too.
-Was driving before we pulled the motor/trans.
-Bare shells with NOTHING are selling for $10k

Here are some more detailed shots to view. Vin plate is pictured clearly.
Porsche 914-6 1970 - a set on Flickr

NO:
1.BS about its legitimacy or if it is real or not... GFYourself if you don't know about this car.
2. Lowballing. Period. If you know about these cars, you know what it is.
if you lowball me, you OBVIOUSLY can not play with the big boys.. get 4 cylinder model, please
3. Time wasters.

FIRST person to show up at the shop with $14,000.00 in hand and a trailer to take her, gets her. RARE OPPORTUNITY to own an appreciating gem of a collector car.

Tom_T
deleted, see next post for links ....
Tom_T
Never mind, I found it on Samba here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=939315
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishooteveryth...57622683642358/

He won't win any personality contests, that's for sure - plus that 914-6 is far from perfect & you've got at least $10-20+K to bring it up to a 9-10.
Note white CA plates - not black & gold, as well as no pic at Flickr of Karmann Plate to figure out the OE color code.

He must've converted it to front wheel drive, judging by the transaxle in the front trunk! lol-2.gif av-943.gif

IPB Image
SirAndy
Originally "Signal Orange". The car was for sale here last year ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100563

shades.gif Andy
Tom_T
"Sounds like a WANNA-Be Big boy"
agree.gif

Note that he's really a Dubber, with the pix showing his 60's Bug on the curb & in the garage. Nothing against Vintage VW enthusiasts, just his attitude ..... and he never bothered to follow up on his post nor to join here.

I guess he figured after he got no traction here - where the "real" /6 Big Boyz congregate - last Oct 09 at $15k for an OK /6 roller in need of a new interior, proper strip & repaint to OE color, /6 engine & maybe 901 work or new transaxle, unknown rust condition, etc., etc. .... then he thought he'd find a bigger fool at $14k by intimidation on TheSamba - his true "Dubbers' Home"! biggrin.gif

idea.gif
So Andy - am I nutz or is this price way high!!?? confused24.gif

I see this one in what I think is the original color, nice Mahles (not Fuchs as he says - unless he means an extra set of wheels), & actually has a correct 2.0/6 engine & transaxle for $22,500 - & think that this red one is a better deal for another $8500, even though it probably needs some work to put it back to original & CW - am I right? confused24.gif

Ooops - sorry folks - forgot the link before blink.gif - here ya go:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=809919

... IMHO that red/black 70 914-6 is a better deal & better prospect for a fresh resto! smile.gif
ClayPerrine
There are lots of them out there....

I know a local guy who has a real 70 914/6 with no engine or trans. Never been titled, spent its whole life as a race car. Has not been run in 20 years, missing the interior and windshield hoop. No engine tin, no door glass no back window. Vintage 70s roll bar, but no front hoop. Vintage 70s racing seat and harness. Fiberglass flares. Has SCCA logbooks from the 1970s, but it was just club racing, no one famous ever drove it, and it never won anything. Everything is dry rotted or worn out. Sitting on 4 flat 70s vintage racing slicks.

I offered him 5k and thought I was being generous.

He wanted 20K for it, because it has "racing history". :cracksmokingsmiley:

I gave him my number and told him if he changed his mind to call.

URY914
This could be the first time I ever saw rust on a steering wheel lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
I'm a VW guy too, and a buddy contacted him on this roller, said the guy is a total flaming ass-hole who said that his phone is ringing off the hook with people offering him money... I also know a lot of VW guys, hell, been playing with them since high school, but haven't run into any klock-suckers like this guy..
dr914@autoatlanta.com

Sixes have gone out of sight as collector cars and just not worth it any more (and you heard ME say it!!!!) Thankfully I bought all of mine before things went haywire. Stupid thing is is that the guys will probably get the money for these cars, europeans being even stupider as the exchange rate is so in their favor!
Tom_T
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 19 2010, 02:49 PM) *

I'm a VW guy too, and a buddy contacted him on this roller, said the guy is a total flaming ass-hole who said that his phone is ringing off the hook with people offering him money... I also know a lot of VW guys, hell, been playing with them since high school, but haven't run into any klock-suckers like this guy..

agree.gif
You can tell that much from his Samba post, although his earlier post here was more restrained. .... & Byron, I'm also an 88 Westy guy myself - no dissing intended ! smile.gif

BTW - the "rust" on the incorrect Momo Wheel (meaning as a stock narrow body /6 that is) - is "Show Rust" from the 70's!
... as are the "Show cracks" on the dash, "show tears" & general ratty-ness of the seats, "extra show guages" cut into the dash, "show speakers" holes in the door panels, "show rust" & "show mulit-colors" & "show chips" on the paint elsewhere on the body, etc., etc.!! lol-2.gif
Tom_T
I added this link for the Red/Black 70 914-6 on TheSamba above, where I forgot to do it originally! .... sorry, must've been a brain fart! blink.gif

http://www.thesamba.com/vw//classifieds/detail.php?id=809919
racerbvd
Thanks for the Link Tom.. So, you guys think this is a good deal if the car checks out??

europeans being even stupider as the exchange rate is so in their favor!

That market has busted, the value dropped 15% and guys who were sending cars over there are now stuck with them.
Tom_T
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 19 2010, 11:55 PM) *

Thanks for the Link Tom.. So, you guys think this is a good deal if the car checks out??

That market has busted, the value dropped 15% and guys who were sending cars over there are now stuck with them.

Hey Byron, I was talking to another guy out here in SoCal yesterday who thought that 914-6 roller you first posted was a good deal - so who knows!!?? confused24.gif
... he restores 6's & has a factory racer GT.

Sir Andy is trying to sell a twanged & straightened bare shell -6 for $5k IIRC.....

For my thinking, that red one is a better start, then the $14k shell from the bootyshake.gif - & IIRC he was asking $25k last Fall/Summer.

It's all a sign of the times & economy, but I've seen enough of these cycles, to know that things will go back up & above what it was in the mid-2000's peak - always happens ........ eventually! biggrin.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 20 2010, 08:25 PM) *

Hey Byron, I was talking to another guy out here in SoCal yesterday who thought that 914-6 roller you first posted was a good deal - so who knows!!?? confused24.gif
... he restores 6's & has a factory racer GT.

Sir Andy is trying to sell a twanged & straightened bare shell -6 for $5k IIRC.....

For my thinking, that red one is a better start, then the $14k shell from the bootyshake.gif - & IIRC he was asking $25k last Fall/Summer.

It's all a sign of the times & economy, but I've seen enough of these cycles, to know that things will go back up & above what it was in the mid-2000's peak - always happens ........ eventually! biggrin.gif

I'm really thinking on the red one. To me, the one ass-clown one I posted is maybe an $8K tub, notice he said the int. was perfect, yet the passenger seat is ripped, so I already know that he has a much lower view of prefection than me, plus, comes off as a total asshole.. He clearly has no idea what the word original meaNS..
Gustl
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 21 2010, 06:34 AM) *

I'm really thinking on the red one. To me, the one ass-clown one I posted is maybe an $8K tub, notice he said the int. was perfect, yet the passenger seat is ripped, so I already know that he has a much lower view of prefection than me, plus, comes off as a total asshole.. He clearly has no idea what the word original meaNS..

here's more info on the red one - sales ad from Nov 2009:
1970 914-6 Restored Price: $22,500
real 1970 914-6 restored 1985-driven since-original engine/transmission. no cracks in dash. original 14" fuchs,
tool kit,footrest,and spare. there is no rust under the body of the car nor in the structural parts, doors, etc.
there are small surface rust bubbel spots at the bottom of the targa bar, around the windshield opening and
door handle area. The paint is over 20 years old and while people love it the way it is, I would repaint if I
was keeeping it. I assume you would repaint, also. It is a very nice driver as is, but a repaint would make
it a very nice street show car. I would also have the driver's seat cushion recovered, and the Weber carbs
rebuilt, it does pop at the exhaust.

Here are some questions/answers from previous emails---
1. VIN #-9140432240
2. Is the color original? BLUISH SILVER
3. What is the mileage? 106,000
4. I believe the wheels shown are Mahle. Are the Fuchs available too? THE CAR HAS FUCHS ON IT
5. Are there any rust issues? BUBBLES IN PAINT AT SIDE TARGA POST BASE AND AT DOOR HANDLE, SMALL SURFACE RUST
SPOTS AROUND WINDSHIELD & ON COWL.
6. Do you have a clean title? YES
7. Is it matching numbers? yes
8. am I correct in figuring that the original color was bluish silver, not red? YES
9. do you have pix of the car during the restoration? YES
10. What documents do you have for the car? Repair and Parts from 2000 to date.
11. Are 106,000 miles original, or has the speedo been changed/disonnected? original miles
12. Has the car ever been raced? No. autocrossed at porsche parades? Yes
13 How long have you owned the car? Couple of years
14. What so you know about the owner history? know the owner from 1978/79. he had the car untill mid 90s
15. Is the Hell hole rusted? NO
16. Are the longitudinal in good shape? YES
17. Does everything work as it should? YES
18. What kind of radio is in the car? I think its the original, but I dont use them so I never looked...
will have to get back to you on this.
19. Where are you located? Janesville,WI
20. Are the original carbs on the car? Yes
21 Any damage to the car (past wrecks, etc) that you know of? No
22. engine number-6405448

Original engine which was also rebuilt at restoration period to standard specifications. Car had Fuchs and has
Fuchs 5.5 X 14. I tried the Mahles off my 356 on it for a short period ...like Fuchs much better!

beerchug.gif
Tom_T
Sounds from the description below, like the ill advised color change to red should be reversed to the original color - need a color code on that & if it's a 98 or 99 customer order color, then you'll need an as original area for a color match (unless original documentation from new are available. Might as well do that while you're having the rust taken care of to preserve that /6! There's probably more rust in hidden nooks & crannies too!

For my tastes - I prefer the 5-Lug Mahle Gas-burners specifically designed for the 914/6 as the purr-fect wheel look on the narrow body /6's! biggrin.gif I also love that metallic blue on 914/6 & /4's!! drooley.gif

Of course - whomever ponies up for this or any one should pick what they want! smile.gif

Last word of advice: since you're in FL & it's in WI - have someone very familiar with 914's,/iss /6's & their problems & issues from up in that area where the car is check it out very closely first, then go do so yourself if it passed first muster!
beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 20 2010, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 21 2010, 06:34 AM) *

here's more info on the red one - sales ad from Nov 2009:
1970 914-6 Restored Price: $22,500
real 1970 914-6 restored 1985-driven since-original engine/transmission. no cracks in dash. original 14" fuchs,
tool kit,footrest,and spare. there is no rust under the body of the car nor in the structural parts, doors, etc.
there are small surface rust bubbel spots at the bottom of the targa bar, around the windshield opening and
door handle area. The paint is over 20 years old and while people love it the way it is, I would repaint if I
was keeeping it. I assume you would repaint, also. It is a very nice driver as is, but a repaint would make
it a very nice street show car. I would also have the driver's seat cushion recovered, and the Weber carbs
rebuilt, it does pop at the exhaust.

Here are some questions/answers from previous emails---
1. VIN #-9140432240
2. Is the color original? BLUISH SILVER
3. What is the mileage? 106,000
4. I believe the wheels shown are Mahle. Are the Fuchs available too? THE CAR HAS FUCHS ON IT
5. Are there any rust issues? BUBBLES IN PAINT AT SIDE TARGA POST BASE AND AT DOOR HANDLE, SMALL SURFACE RUST
SPOTS AROUND WINDSHIELD & ON COWL.
6. Do you have a clean title? YES
7. Is it matching numbers? yes
8. am I correct in figuring that the original color was bluish silver, not red? YES
9. do you have pix of the car during the restoration? YES
10. What documents do you have for the car? Repair and Parts from 2000 to date.
11. Are 106,000 miles original, or has the speedo been changed/disonnected? original miles
12. Has the car ever been raced? No. autocrossed at porsche parades? Yes
13 How long have you owned the car? Couple of years
14. What so you know about the owner history? know the owner from 1978/79. he had the car untill mid 90s
15. Is the Hell hole rusted? NO
16. Are the longitudinal in good shape? YES
17. Does everything work as it should? YES
18. What kind of radio is in the car? I think its the original, but I dont use them so I never looked...
will have to get back to you on this.
19. Where are you located? Janesville,WI
20. Are the original carbs on the car? Yes
21 Any damage to the car (past wrecks, etc) that you know of? No
22. engine number-6405448

Original engine which was also rebuilt at restoration period to standard specifications. Car had Fuchs and has
Fuchs 5.5 X 14. I tried the Mahles off my 356 on it for a short period ...like Fuchs much better!

beerchug.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 20 2010, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 20 2010, 08:25 PM) *

agree.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

See my notes on Gutsl/wolfgang's added info.

For my 73 2L resto - I decided to go back to the original L80E - even though I'm NOT a "refrigerator white car" kinda guy (much prefer Marathon Blue Metallic - if I'd ordered new in 73, but alas, that was still college dry.gif ) - but then I found the values on nicely restored color change 914s were 1/2 to 70% of original color resto/preserved ones! blink.gif So now I'll be an L80E 914er! biggrin.gif

That differential has to be even more dollars on a pricier & more rare 914/6 - so it's best to go back to the original color IMHO.

What worked for me was about 6+ months of desensitizing work looking at pix of nice L80E 914s & putting one on my desktop of this notebook! ... maybe that will work for you if you don't like the "silvery blue" or "bluish silver" the owner says it was isn't quite your cup-o-tea!? biggrin.gif
racerbvd
Thanks Tom, but the WI guy hasn't returned any calls or e-mails, and yes, going back to the OEM color would be the plan..
racerbvd
Just thought I would let you guys know, we did buy the car out of WI, the PPI looked good, the PO is a real solid guy. It will need a few things and yes, it is going back to the OEM color (my 74 was that color) and will end up with both the Fuchs and a set of Mahle Gas-burners piratenanner.gif

Can't wait for it to get here smilie_pokal.gif
Thanks again for the heads up!!!!
Tom_T
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jun 19 2010, 06:06 PM) *

Just thought I would let you guys know, we did buy the car out of WI, the PPI looked good, the PO is a real solid guy. It will need a few things and yes, it is going back to the OEM color (my 74 was that color) and will end up with both the Fuchs and a set of Mahle Gas-burners piratenanner.gif

Can't wait for it to get here smilie_pokal.gif
Thanks again for the heads up!!!!

Congrats Byron - when you can, put up pix of the car here or a new topic for the resto, along with the color code & all the fun particulars you can find! biggrin.gif

Also, how well does it run?

Get 'er back to the OEM steering wheel & change back the other additions & personalization done on it. For my tastes - those Mahle gas-burners designed specifically for the 914-6 is the perfect wheel for the shape of the body (I do realize many prefer the Fuchs, but my tastes are Mahles).
JoeSharp
Is it just me and I'm missing something? I sold a -6 that amounted to what was a basket case for 6K. This asswipe want my left nut for a roller. Sorry....
Beauty has matching numbers and is only worth 20K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.