Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air dam spoilers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
What's the consensus regarding the best air dam spoiler to run on a street 914?

I'm currently running a "flexdam," with a fiberglass top and rubber skirt but, fiberglass being fiberglass, it's not very durable. One encounter with a high curb or an object in the road and crunch goes the fiberglass.

Automobile Atlanta used to sell a hard rubber spoiler which they claimed was so hardy that it would survive a high-impact collision, but it's NLA.
BMXerror
If durability is what you're after, the flex dam is probably your best bet. Anything else you get would probably be solid fiberglass. I've run the fiberglass ones for quite a while and they're plenty tough. I don't know what you're planning to run into with it... My $.02
Mark D.
campbellcj
I like the "LE" style in fiberglass for street cars, because they look good but are not so deep that they catch on every single driveway or parking lot barrier.

I actually have 3 different front dams/spoilers I can put on my car via removable fasteners. One "LE" type for street and the two others are much deeper for track usage.
AZ914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 19 2010, 09:18 PM) *

I like the "LE" style in fiberglass for street cars, because they look good but are not so deep that they catch on every single driveway or parking lot barrier.

I actually have 3 different front dams/spoilers I can put on my car via removable fasteners. One "LE" type for street and the two others are much deeper for track usage.

What type of fasteners to you use? I'm particularly wondering about the ones behind the bumper as I'd like to pop off the valance without removing the bumper from time to time.
campbellcj
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Mar 20 2010, 09:21 AM) *

What type of fasteners to you use? I'm particularly wondering about the ones behind the bumper as I'd like to pop off the valance without removing the bumper from time to time.

I should premise this by saying that my car is not stock and has been cut, drilled and riveted-on a fair amount.

The sides of the airdam are attached via dzus fasteners and at present the center is attached with two thumbscrews into rivnuts in the remaining sheet metal in the oil cooler inlet area. Next time I remove the oil cooler shroud, which is a bit of a PITA, I may switch the rivnuts + screws to dzus fasteners as well.

I don't have any close-up pics but you can kinda see it here. Obviously this is the LE spoiler "street" setup.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.