Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Replace Catalytic converter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
My catalytic converter on my Dodge Ram is coming apart and raddling around. If it continues I'm told, it could screw up the muffler and clog the pipes. The truck has 108,000, so it is out of warrenty.

So the questions are:
a. Do I be a good friend of the Earth and spend +/-$500 to have it replaced?
b. Replace it myself, can't be that hard right?
c. Do I replace it with a stright pipe for $20, screw Mother Nature and pocket the change?

Is there other options?
Whata think?

Paul
GWN7
Here you can't sell it if the original equipment is missing. Think aftermarket. You should be able to find a aftermarket unit for a lot less.
seanery
c. (but don't tell anyone)
Rusty
C.

Then drive it until it falls apart. For a Dodge, that should be a good long time.

-Rusty smoke.gif
SLITS
If you don't have bi or annual smog checks - gut the puppy and continue on down the road. Fuck the tree-huggers and Spotted Owl Lovers (Spotted Owl makes a great sandwich). Replace it when you sell it. If ya wind up junkin' it - don't bother.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 29 2004, 10:40 AM)
C.

Then drive it until it falls apart. For a Dodge, that should be a good long time.

-Rusty smoke.gif

agree.gif

if your state has a "visual" inspection (like most of TX) you can take the cat-converter and jam a straight pipe THROUGH IT... it will still pass VISUAL inspection... you are screwed if they switch to a full(hooked up to a dyno-looking machine) inspection, you are screwed...

but if you *want* to do it "right" rolleyes.gif it's not hard to replace.
Dave Bell
I had to do the CAT on my 75 teener one more time last year... rolls into the 30 year CA exemption after that.

I picked up an after market unit for about $90 at a FLAPS and welded it in myself... I imagine that it wouldn't cost more than about $50 - $70 to get a cheap muffler shop to do the same welding... total cost would likely be less than $200 for whole thing done by a muffler shop if you let them source the CAT.

I doubt that the remains of the little platinum coated catalytic screens, blown into the muffler, would clog it up... but someone else may have had a bad experience. The little screen bits from the converter can and will stay in your muffler and can rattle a bit in there..... On my 914, its really hard to hear the rattle of a few tiny pieces of metal in the bottom of the muffler... on your Dodge it may be different.

If you have to pass smog... you will likely have to fix it before the test.
anthony
Is there a smog check in your area?

Personally, I'd be inclined to do the right thing and replace the cat - with a much cheaper aftermarket unit. Afterall, you have to breath the air too.
URY914
Thanks everyone for your input. I called around to a few muffler shops and if I go with a univeral cat unit it will be in the $200 range. I really didn't want to do it myself. I'll do anything to my 'teener but when it is the truck, I'll pay others to get dirty.

And to answer the question on the inspection issue, Florida doesn't have emission tests.

Thanks again

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.