Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: auto parts store knowledge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nbscooters
so i go to the auto parts store and i ask the guy, i need 4mm, 13mm, and 22mm hoses. he asks me, whats that in fractions?
Mark Henry
Americans are the ones that are 40+ years behind the whole rest of the world.

I can measure in three ways... metric, imperial and standard. Most Canadians my age can.
My kids can only measure in metric.
blitZ
I think it is more than just measuring knowledge missing from the average auto parts employee these days. Back in the day, auto parts employees actually knew something about cars. Now, they only know how to look up parts on the computer.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(nbscooters @ Mar 19 2010, 10:05 PM) *

so i go to the auto parts store and i ask the guy, i need 4mm, 13mm, and 22mm hoses. he asks me, whats that in fractions?

You've been hanging around here for nearly 5 years and you still go to your FLAPS in search of parts for your 914? Who's the slow learner? Besides that, those aren't typical metric hose sizes, for the most part.

The Cap'n
URY914
But he could tell you who won the NASCAR race last weekend....
codices
In most cases they can't give change unless a machine tells them how much and then it is not counted out but given with a curt "here." Saying "thank-you" is also a lost art unless you are the one saying it.

Sorry, too much old man rant and rave.

Dave
Lou W
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 20 2010, 08:28 AM) *

No race last weekend lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
So you're a closet racertainment fan ..........................

The Cap'n
RoninEclipse2G
Sadly, speaking from experience, your average parts counter guy doesn't know his head from his backside. I was one of the exceptions. The sheer stupididty of some of the people that were hired and "placed" in my store made me want to hurt small animals
URY914
QUOTE(Lou W @ Mar 20 2010, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 20 2010, 08:28 AM) *

No race last weekend lol-2.gif

Knowing that fact is not good for you....
Gint
And we all want cheap parts too don't we? You get what you pay for. Cheap crap form China served up by young kids that are just barely making minimum wage.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 20 2010, 10:04 AM) *

And we all want cheap parts too don't we? You get what you pay for. Cheap crap form China served up by young kids that are just barely making minimum wage.

"And we all want cheap parts too don't we?" Not me. I want quality parts backed by a solid source. "All" means people with the Wallyworld mentality, and I REFUSE to be infected or included in the broad strokes of your generalization.

The Cap'n
URY914
Spoken as only The Cap'n can....
Gint
Oh for pete's sake I have a pretty good idea you don't feel that way John. I don't either actually. Which ultimately was the point of my post. I'd rather pay up front for quality and experience and I do exactly that. I have no doubt that you do also.
jmill
I think the truth here is most people want instant gratification. Ordering up the right part takes time most don't have the patience for. They want it now. Even if it's not quite right. I'm not saying it's logical, but it is the sad truth. Patience is a lost virtue.
whatabout1
I worked in a major part supplier warehouse back in the '60s. wacko.gif
Their name reminded me of wine country.

The parts there were 1 step better then J.C. Whitless.

But now all of the autostore parts seem really junk.
r_towle
I find it really odd that with all the metric cars in this country...asian and european, that you cannot for to Autozone, VIP Autoparts, NAPA, or the other large one that skips my mind and have access to metric hoses.

None of them carry metric hoses of any size at all. The only place that does around here closes at noon on saturday and they dont carry metric water hoses....which just makes me wonder...

Rich
black73
QUOTE(nbscooters @ Mar 19 2010, 11:05 PM) *

OK, first thing, "I need 4mm etc...." is not a question. happy11.gif

championgt1
QUOTE(nbscooters @ Mar 19 2010, 10:05 PM) *

So, did you just walk out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.