Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '71 Six - restore now or drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Cairo94507
OK, just for discussion sake, my car would be on the road and driving with a few things:

1. Fuel system complete rebuild - Gas tank boil, seal and powder coat, fuel lines replaced with steel, fuel filter.

2. Brakes: new master cylinder, rebuild front calipers (rears appear recently redone), stainless steel brake lines, front rotors, pads and flush.

3. Oil and filter, remove and boil and seal oil tank. Fix multiple oil leaks and transmissions leaks.

4. Engine tune/valve adjustment

So my thoughts are if I do this stuff now, I could conceivably drive the car and enjoy it around town. But the above things are going to be a bit of money. So am I just throwing that money away now to be able to drive it for a couple of years first before I completely strip and rebuild the car?

I really do want to drive the car before it comes apart and while I collect parts to do the rebuild. For instance I am going to likely sell the 3.0 SC engine with Webers and 901 transaxle and replace them with a stock 3.2 w/Motronic injection and a 915 transaxle.

Anyway, just thought I would get some feedback from all of you. Thanks in advance. Cairo94507 (Michael)
URY914
Look out!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 20 2010, 04:47 PM) *

OK, just for discussion sake, my car would be on the road and driving with a few things:

1. Fuel system complete rebuild - Gas tank boil, seal and powder coat, fuel lines replaced with steel, fuel filter.

2. Brakes: new master cylinder, rebuild front calipers (rears appear recently redone), stainless steel brake lines, front rotors, pads and flush.

3. Oil and filter, remove and boil and seal oil tank. Fix multiple oil leaks and transmissions leaks.

4. Engine tune/valve adjustment

So my thoughts are if I do this stuff now, I could conceivably drive the car and enjoy it around town. But the above things are going to be a bit of money. So am I just throwing that money away now to be able to drive it for a couple of years first before I completely strip and rebuild the car?

I really do want to drive the car before it comes apart and while I collect parts to do the rebuild. For instance I am going to likely sell the 3.0 SC engine with Webers and 901 transaxle and replace them with a stock 3.2 w/Motronic injection and a 915 transaxle.

Anyway, just thought I would get some feedback from all of you. Thanks in advance. Cairo94507 (Michael)

Going trough some these same things myself. Have been through this with a 911 too. Waited on the 911, but no more on the 914-4.

I'm going to get the tank boiled & resealed, replace all fuel lines & boots & out it on the road. Then, over the winter (if it needs it) the brakes will go to Eric.

Once the tank& lines are done I'll fire it up and, hopefully, it will start evenly. Then, I'll take it to a source I've located locally for a complete tuning & valve adjust.

Frita has been on stands for no good reason for 4 years. He WILL be outed this summer.

And, if I were you, I'd make it go this year for grins. Longer you wait, the more inclined you are to wait a little longer. Belive me, I know first hand!
P
Cairo94507
So I have spoken with a few people I respect in regards to Porsche cars. I also discussed it with my wife too. I believe I am going to cancel the "get it on the road" idea and just go ahead and do the full build/restoration. As much as I want to just drive it, I am too concerned that some old line, wire or seal is going to let go and turn my car into a ball of flames or something like that. Also, to be honest, the thought of little unseen rust demons working away on the car while it sits bothers me too.

So, now I have to shop for a shop that can do the rust work, though only a very small amount is visible, I am sure there are a few surprises awaiting under the paint. I still plan to do this as a media blasted restoration. I am collecting parts and have a line on a 3.2 motor but have yet to get the details on the engine so I will know if it is the right motor for me. I believe I have also located some later 73+ clean doors which I intend to put on the car. Locating and collecting parts is part of the fun. Writing the checks... not so much.

Anyone aware of any good shops here in the SF Bay Area, preferably in the East Bay Area? I would love to have it close enough to keep tabs on it during the blasting, cutting, welding and grinding process when it begins.

I expect this is going to be a 2 year project once it begins. I will do it with a monthly budget and pay as I go. Keeps the wife off my back and I still have to be able to buy new shoes for the wiener dogs (eyes left)!
914runnow
Hmmmmm I figured Pat might have railed you for the incorrect motor???

BUT it will be fun when done!!!
The woes of total resto are aging on a mans soul and his mate...
You have certain parts that are now unobtainium for that car,
(although your 3.2 does make it easier in that regard)....
Seals , some lighting parts , and some interior parts are
available in repro....Paint and rechrome etc. good to go..
Just depends how 'Stock' all else is.....
NOS parts do show up here and on eBay once in a while.......
And the '6' group here on World is a great resource...
With the takeover of VW real soon..
What will happen to the basterdchild 914??
Will they embrace, or discard???
Sooooooo now is a great time to collect parts and pcs......
As the future is certain, the NOS parts are going away fast!!!
Good Luck with your project..
Cairo94507
Unfortunately, the original engine was removed in the early 80's and the seller had no idea where it went. So the car has a 3.0 SC motor in it with webers now. Changing to a 3.2 with Motronic not a big deal in light of that. That does not mean that when my COA arrives, and hopefully includes my original engine number, that I won't make efforts to locate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.