Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freakin' taildraggers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
Now, I know I work slowly. Just one of those things that makes me "special", I suppose. But I can whip out a clutch job on a 914 in an afternoon--I did just that a little while ago on my blue car!

I'm in the middle of replacing the clutch on Lisa's SC. Not only do the parts cost double what the 914 parts do, but you have to pull the whole freaking drivetrain to get access to the clutch! And there's a fair bit more stuff to deal with in the way than on the 914... That funky- munky- motion setup they have for the 915 clutch is really bizarro! It's been frustration after frustration on this job, let me tell you.

Once I had gotten everything (and there's a lot of it!) unbolted and the engine and trans were on the ground (more or less), I found I needed more clearance so I jacked up the body some more. And as I'm trying to get them bolted back up again, I find my floor jack doesn't go high enough with the body up where it needs to be to get the motor under it. So now I've got to get everything supported again, get the jack(s) back out from under the car, and lower the car down to where it was before.

Sadly, much of the frustration is due to my own lack of experience with this job, so it's self-inflicted. Grr. But it is really irksome to realize that I've spent five or six times as long on this as on a 914 clutch, and I've still got a ways to go.

Just had to vent about this one.

--DD
zymurgist
I feel your pain Dave. I really need to do a full engine drop so I can relieve the tunnel to get the 915 transmission to fit properly. When I replaced my shift tube, though, I only dropped it enough to slide the old one out and the new one in, mostly for the reasons you stated.

I'd sell mine if the economy were a little better.
914Sixer
Yep, a real pain in the ass.
plas76targa
Yep. Actually btdt. Had the car up in the air. Lowered the engine/tranny and couldn't put the whole mess out from under the car. Removed the bumper and valance to just fit. was a long time ago on my 76 targa. I feel your pain.
Joe Bob
You need to extend your pinky finger more....
scotty b
hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif Do a 944 clutch some time....better yet do a 944 TURBO clutch some time. Make sure it is an early turbo too. You'll LOVE 911 clutches after that shades.gif
Dave_Darling
Scotty, I ain't dumb enough to volunteer to replace a 951 clutch. No way no how. I already know about that one... (Not first hand, thankfully!)

--DD
iamchappy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 21 2010, 07:39 PM) *

hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif hissyfit.gif Do a 944 clutch some time....better yet do a 944 TURBO clutch some time. Make sure it is an early turbo too. You'll LOVE 911 clutches after that shades.gif

I couldn't agree more, and i only had to replace the starter ring on the 924S auto transmission, which required that you remove everything on the car to get to it.. No kidding EVERYTHING.(just about)
brp986s
Yep. Master cyl with vac assist is a barrel of laffs, too. I have the balancing pedal/omega springs contraption on my 914. hissyfit.gif
Ferg
working on a 911, so easy a 4 year old can do it poke.gif bye1.gif

Cap'n Krusty
You replaced the thermostat o-ring and the oil pressure switch while you were in there, right? And the calcified breather hose? If not, you're gonna be glad you had the practice this time ................................... Might make that job go a little easier. BTW, old time Harley mechanics know how to adjust that clutch, 'cause it's the same as theirs. Follow the book, use the feeler gauges, and set it right. The Cap'n
jasons
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 21 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder how many 944's are in the junkyard because of the labor expense for a stupid clutch.
Rand
I love it when Dave vents.
Please, bro, come to wcr2010.
SLITS
Assdraggers are only good for conversion parts! piratenanner.gif
Porcharu
My buddy's car has been down for at least 5 years now because of what a PITA the clutch replacement has been. It's so bad he wont even ask for help. This job is up there with a Volvo 240 heater core replacement - a LOT of 240's are in the junkyard for a blown heater core - it's a 2-3 day job and would cost more than most of those great cars are worth.
Steve
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 21 2010, 04:39 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]
jcd914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 21 2010, 05:39 PM) *

I'll take 2) 911 clutch jobs over any 924/944/951/968 clutch any day.

I traded labor to do a clutch on a 944 Turbo and an Audi 90 Quattro for the labor to re roof my house. I spent 2 full days they spent 4 days, 1 of me, 3 of them.

Of course I had full shop, lift and tools at my disposal, I did not work there anymore but they let me do projects.

Jim
Dave_Darling
Ugh. Is there some SOOPER SEKRIT trick to getting the trans mounting bolts started? Those buggers just will not go! I'm using a light to make sure I have the hole through the mount lined up with the threaded hole in the chassis, and I still can't get the stinking bolt to start!

More of the same frustration tomorrow.... Is this supposed to be fun? I forget.

--DD
jcd914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 21 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Ugh. Is there some SOOPER SEKRIT trick to getting the trans mounting bolts started? Those buggers just will not go! I'm using a light to make sure I have the hole through the mount lined up with the threaded hole in the chassis, and I still can't get the stinking bolt to start!

More of the same frustration tomorrow.... Is this supposed to be fun? I forget.

--DD

Long (mine is about 15 inches) tapered bar shoved thru the mount into the threaded hole on 1 side and used to move the trans & mount around until you feel the bolt on the other side push into the threads. Then turn the bolt and maybe wiggle the bar some to take the tension off the threads. It does not take much misalignment to keep the bolts from starting.
Is the engine all the way up in the ass end? An angle on the engine and trans will make it hard to start the bolts.

Good Luck
Jim
Root_Werks
[quote name='jasons' date='Mar 21 2010, 08:56 PM' post='1289978']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 21 2010, 05:39 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder how many 944's are in the junkyard because of the labor expense for a stupid clutch.
[/quote]

There never seem to be any less than 5 944's in a local Bone-Yard up here that really do look like they should be in car lots. They look that nice. They all have "Bad Engine" shoe polished on the windshields. Just not worth fixing.

DD - Done a handful of 915-tranny 911 clutches. Yes PITA, gotta line up the little clutch forks just right, not forget to remove the shifter rod (oops!).

I'd replace 4 914 clutches before ever doing another 911 clutch again.
davep
I think the "book time" for a 951 clutch job was the fastest time out of 100 attempts by an assembly line mechanic.
Eric_Shea
I'm in the middle of replacing the clutch on Lisa's SC

Ohhhhhhh... you got one of those "New" ones. There's your problem.
Dave_Darling
The Pelicans are suggesting that I start the motor mount bolts first (which will require the engine end to be pretty much all the way up first), and loosen the bolts holding the rubber isolator mounts onto the transmission crossmember. All to allow the bolts to line up more easily. So that's what I'm gonna do...

--DD
ClayPerrine
It could be worse....

I did a transmission on a 71T for a customer years ago. Easy stuff, I had been fixing 914 transmissions, and this was a 901 with a pull type clutch.

Got that sucker back in, and I had 5 reverse gears and only one forward gear! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

Needless to say, I had to pull it back apart to flip the ring and pinion over. chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.