Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Questions (problems)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
My Optima 34R battery only lasted for 5 1/2 years. I only drive about 1000 miles a year, which may be part of my problems? Anyway, last month I bought a Battery Tender Jr. which will charge the battery, but within one day, the battery looses it's charge. I check battery voltage with a Fluke meter and a it reads 12.34 volts at rest, and 13 volts at 1100 RPM. So I assume this is a good charging voltage?

I have been researching batteries online and have seen many poor reviews for the Optima batteries. Is there a better battery for 914's? Where is the best place to buy a new battery?

Thanks.....
smooth_eddy
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
QUOTE(smooth_eddy @ Mar 21 2010, 05:11 AM) *

My Optima 34R battery only lasted for 5 1/2 years. I only drive about 1000 miles a year, which may be part of my problems? Anyway, last month I bought a Battery Tender Jr. which will charge the battery, but within one day, the battery looses it's charge. I check battery voltage with a Fluke meter and a it reads 12.34 volts at rest, and 13 volts at 1100 RPM. So I assume this is a good charging voltage?

I have been researching batteries online and have seen many poor reviews for the Optima batteries. Is there a better battery for 914's? Where is the best place to buy a new battery?

Thanks.....

rebelmdot
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925.htm

This was in a thread this morning called "I got a new 914, thanks camp"

I have no experience with them but you might pm that guy to see what his thoughts are. Apparently he is running that battery in several cars including the teener. Hope it helps.
bfrymire
QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Mar 23 2010, 05:14 PM) *

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925.htm

This was in a thread this morning called "I got a new 914, thanks camp"

I have no experience with them but you might pm that guy to see what his thoughts are. Apparently he is running that battery in several cars including the teener. Hope it helps.

I have this battery, and it's very small, light and has plenty to start the car. Can't really comment on it's lifetime, though.

-- brett
Tom_T
Battery life isn't so much dependent upon miles driven, as type of use & age ..... they all age, which is why the mfgrs. warranty them for a certain number of months. Some folks go with the deep cycle or marine batteries when their car sits long between uses, as yours sounds like you do, because they stand up better to the intermittent use..

If that Optima were warrantied for 60-66 mos., then you got what you paid for & you'll have to replace them every so often in time (not miles). If the warranty was for a longer time, take it back & get a prorated discount on a new one.

I've used Interstates in my other cars for years with good luck, & the last one in the 914 before she went on stilts in 85 - all with good luck over the warranty period. They sell some in 75 mo. warranty - but just had one in my kids' Honda go after 15 (partly due to a failing Alt.) which they replaced at no cost (their warranty is free replacement in the first 18 mos, then prorated out to 75). I also had one from 2001 in our 88 Westy last up to last year (8+ years). It just varies.

That said, I'll go with an Optima or other non-liquid-type battery in my 914 after my resto, so as to avoid the risk of battery acid damage in the hell hole.

Optima's are a gel cell (i.e.: not a traditional water in the cells lead-acid), whereas the Interstates are standard water cell type.

I don't know about the Odyssy discussed above, as it says dry cell - which may be better yet, if not too big for the battery tray & limited space in a 914.
smooth_eddy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2010, 04:45 PM) *

Battery life isn't so much dependent upon miles driven, as type of use & age ..... they all age, which is why the mfgrs. warranty them for a certain number of months. Some folks go with the deep cycle or marine batteries when their car sits long between uses, as yours sounds like you do, because they stand up better to the intermittent use..

If that Optima were warrantied for 60-66 mos., then you got what you paid for & you'll have to replace them every so often in time (not miles). If the warranty was for a longer time, take it back & get a prorated discount on a new one.

I've used Interstates in my other cars for years with good luck, & the last one in the 914 before she went on stilts in 85 - all with good luck over the warranty period. They sell some in 75 mo. warranty - but just had one in my kids' Honda go after 15 (partly due to a failing Alt.) which they replaced at no cost (their warranty is free replacement in the first 18 mos, then prorated out to 75). I also had one from 2001 in our 88 Westy last up to last year (8+ years). It just varies.

That said, I'll go with an Optima or other non-liquid-type battery in my 914 after my resto, so as to avoid the risk of battery acid damage in the hell hole.

Optima's are a gel cell (i.e.: not a traditional water in the cells lead-acid), whereas the Interstates are standard water cell type.

I don't know about the Odyssy discussed above, as it says dry cell - which may be better yet, if not too big for the battery tray & limited space in a 914.

I looked at the Odyssy in the link above. It does not have conventional terminals. I want to keep things as stock as possible. I checked the warranty on my Optima and it was "N/A". I guess that means I am SOL. If someone has a photo of the Odyssy please post. Do they have a convention battery post model? what about the hold down? Will is fit in a 914 battery tray w/o modifications?

Thanks, Eddy
bfrymire

I looked at the Odyssy in the link above. It does not have conventional terminals. I want to keep things as stock as possible. I checked the warranty on my Optima and it was "N/A". I guess that means I am SOL. If someone has a photo of the Odyssy please post. Do they have a convention battery post model? what about the hold down? Will is fit in a 914 battery tray w/o modifications?

Thanks, Eddy

You can get the Odyssey battery with standard terminals, and it's smaller than the 34R, and easily fits on the stock battery tray. You will need a custom mount. If I get home at a reasonable time, I will take a picture of mine in the stock location. (No mount at the moment, as this one will go into the trunk with a custom mount.)

Click to view attachment

Link to battery at Summit racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ODY-PC925MJT/?rtype=10
Tom_T
Eddy, per the Optima website, your 34R should have had a 72 mo. (6yr.) warranty, with the first 36 mos. free 100% repl. & next 36 prorated. See here:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_prod...anty/preFeb.php

Note that when you go there, that the new post Jan 09 warranty drops significantly by dropping the 2nd 36 mo. prorated period, per here:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_prod...nty/postFeb.php

You should either have the original receipt from your/PO's purchase, or it's marked or punched on the battery label by law. It's possible that a PO had it for 6 mos. or so before you, negating any possible remaining warranty time. Otherwise, the only reason I can see that a warranty would show up as n/a, would be an NOS or black market sale??

BTW - I think they sell terminal adapters for non-standard batteries like that Odyssy.

At the high cost of Optimas, that new POS halved warranty could make me change my mind in favor of Interstate sealed or another battery type! dry.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(smooth_eddy @ Mar 21 2010, 06:11 AM) *
I check battery voltage with a Fluke meter and a it reads 12.34 volts at rest, and 13 volts at 1100 RPM. So I assume this is a good charging voltage?

If that's across the battery posts themselves, it's a bit on the low side. A fully charged battery should be reading something like 12.65V with nothing hooked up to it. At idle, you should see at least that much, and at 2000 RPM you should be seeing about 14V. I'd be worried about the 12.34V...

--DD
pbanders
FWIW, I use a conventional Sears Diehard lead-acid battery, which is what I've used since 1982 when I bought the car. My battery tray is original and has no acid or rust damage. I put the battery on an acid-neutralizing mat, and use treated felt terminal rings to reduce corrosion at the posts. I have taken a wire wheel to all of the chassis, transmission, battery, and fuel injection ground points to clean them for a good contact. I also replaced the ancient copper battery ground strap with a new heavy gauge strap - the old one broke in my hands when I removed it. I have an additional heavy gauge ground wire from the alternator directly to the chassis (normal alternator ground path is through the pivot to the engine, then to the chassis, about a 0.35 V drop path). I have a new rebuilt stock alternator, and I'm using the transistorized replacement from Bosch for the factory mechanical voltage regulator.

Net result is my system voltage is 13.85 V, and my battery stays charged at 12.75 V (after surface charge removal). No leaks, strong starting.
pbanders
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 23 2010, 10:00 PM) *

QUOTE(smooth_eddy @ Mar 21 2010, 06:11 AM) *
I check battery voltage with a Fluke meter and a it reads 12.34 volts at rest, and 13 volts at 1100 RPM. So I assume this is a good charging voltage?

If that's across the battery posts themselves, it's a bit on the low side. A fully charged battery should be reading something like 12.65V with nothing hooked up to it. At idle, you should see at least that much, and at 2000 RPM you should be seeing about 14V. I'd be worried about the 12.34V...

--DD

I'm not sure what the Optima batteries are supposed to read, but for a lead-acid battery, 12.34 V would correspond to a battery at only about 50% of full charge. See:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/ChargingSystem.html

A fully charged lead-acid battery will read 12.75 V after you remove the surface charge (i.e. turn lights on for 15 minutes while sitting off, turn lights off, then measure the battery voltage). Anything less than this indicates the battery is at less than 100% charge state.
smooth_eddy
I will check Remi Battery and see if they will warranty the battery. I purchased the battery myself and still have the original receipt. I will also check terminal voltage at a higher RPM.

With all the damaged Hell Holes in 914's, I am not going back to a convention lead acid battery. Not worth it to save a few dollars now. All 914's should have some kind of a sealed battery IMHO.

Eddy
Root_Werks
Eddy, go to a Pacific Power Batteries locally. Look at one in person.

I'll be getting one for the 914 I just picked up. It's not just about the size and wieght, but the fact it's a dry cell.

Not the cheapest out there, but worth the money. I've had a few 914's with the 925 series, they do just fine.
Tom_T
QUOTE(smooth_eddy @ Mar 24 2010, 12:27 PM) *

I will check Remi Battery and see if they will warranty the battery. I purchased the battery myself and still have the original receipt. I will also check terminal voltage at a higher RPM.

With all the damaged Hell Holes in 914's, I am not going back to a convention lead acid battery. Not worth it to save a few dollars now. All 914's should have some kind of a sealed battery IMHO.

Eddy

agree.gif
Any "approved" Optima seller should honor the warranty, just find the closest on the Optima website I posted above. If they won't, then report them to Optima (they drop dealers who won't honor or add BS charges), & try another. If Remi is close by - go to them since it's their sale.

WARNING - WARNING, WILL ROBINSON!!!! very_first_smiley[1].gif (sorry, couldn't find the robot) .......
I used to use Delco's back in the 70's & early 80's before Interstate & sealed lead acids were around, always kept a pad under it & treated felt rings on the posts - then it was garaged on blocks in "sunny" SoCal since May 85 with a clean & a then rust free battery tray & the last Interstate sealed lead acid battery/etc. removed - even washed everything off with baking soda & water to neutralize it & dried it off as per storage reccos! dry.gif

So - flash forward - & I check back in April 09 ~ 25+/- years later & here's the result from residual old acid fumes, etc.!!!!! sad.gif

Click to view attachment

hissyfit.gif

underthetire
I've heard a lot of bad about the Optima red tops. I picked up a Excide Orbital sealed battery for free and it has been perfect. I drive mine a little more though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.