Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why substantial door bars / side cages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Bad NASCAR accident.

That accident could happen on any track. Great reason for having NASCAR type side cages if you're doing wheel to wheel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/20/l...o_n_507206.html
URY914
and it wasn't even in a real race.
byndbad914
yeah, I was talking to my mom on the phone and watching that on Speed at the same time and saw that crash - it was brutal.

Technically tho' I would say it was a real race, just cuz it was "old timers" doesn't make it not a real race, those guys were really running the cars in a W2W format.

You are 100% right tho' Randal and why I have so much door bar in my car! Our 914s are so damn narrow to begin with I put bars out to the doors with angled reinforcement down to the floor AND move the seats inboard 2" so the shoulder supports are damn near touching each other. I hit 160mph in the front stretch at Willow Springs and 140+ at the track here in CO which is what drove me to a tube chassis car to begin with, but that just goes to show you can be doing zero and get T-boned by a car going much MUCH less than 140mph and end up in rough shape, even WITH tons of safety stuff in place.

I was damn glad to hear that they were both OK (broken bones heal up so I consider it OK in terms of how violent the accident was) - if that was a typical track teener I see at race events with a single, angled door bar at best that would have been really bad for the driver.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 21 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Great reason for having NASCAR type side cages if you're doing wheel to wheel.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.