Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: distributer cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
I was checking my trigger points, trying to figure out why I'm only running on two cylinders and decided to take apart my distributer and clean it real good. All parts moved freely and were well lube, although it seemed like an over abundance of lube (and little bits of plant leaves). So know that I have it spotless, what are the only parts that should get lubricated? The advance plates, the little ball bearing thing, and the cams for the trigger points. Any other places? And would a moly-lube work well or is there something specific. My trigger points seemed fine. Also I was surprised to see my dist was a 205F and I have a '73 2.0. The 205f per Mr. Anders is from a '70 1.7. But they're pretty much all the same, right? confused24.gif

Thanks for your help
underthetire
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Mar 21 2010, 09:56 AM) *

I was checking my trigger points, trying to figure out why I'm only running on two cylinders and decided to take apart my distributer and clean it real good. All parts moved freely and were well lube, although it seemed like an over abundance of lube (and little bits of plant leaves). So know that I have it spotless, what are the only parts that should get lubricated? The advance plates, the little ball bearing thing, and the cams for the trigger points. Any other places? And would a moly-lube work well or is there something specific. My trigger points seemed fine. Also I was surprised to see my dist was a 205F and I have a '73 2.0. The 205f per Mr. Anders is from a '70 1.7. But they're pretty much all the same, right? confused24.gif

Thanks for your help

Light grease for the points block, like white Lubriplate. Oil in the felt under the rotor, and I oil my weights, not grease them. 3n1 oil or sewing machine oil. Moly is no good for this, too heavy. Make sure the advance shaft actually moves, and snaps back in to place.
scrz914
Okay, so an oil is better than grease for the plates and weights. I have Bosch cam grease which I can use for the points and triggers.
Thanks my man.
Cap'n Krusty
Use Bosch or Delco point grease for the distributor cams. Motor oil for the felt pad in the shaft. The Cap'n
scrz914
where is the felt? Are you talking about what rides on the cam for points? I actually have a Pertronix and am not seeing any felt.
Jeffs9146
where is the felt?

under the Rotor inside the shaft!
tod914
Should run better with the proper distributor. Curves are different as well as the vaccume advance unit. 73 2.0, you should have also have a 2 ports on your throttle body for adv. and retard.
scrz914
under the Rotor inside the shaft!

Inside the shaft? Nope nothing there.

Should run better with the proper distributor. Curves are different as well as the vaccume advance unit. 73 2.0, you should have also have a 2 ports on your throttle body for adv. and retard.

TB only has one port. But I think it's from a '75. One thing I'm trying to do is get all of the FI components compatible. Hopefully all from the same year.
scrz914
So it sounds like the felt inside the shaft acts as a reservoir for lubricating oil. Also sounds like although I changed every part on in my FI system except the dist, TB, Fuel pump, and MPS I still have will still be on the lookout for some more replacement parts. Almost there. blink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.