Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Butyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
I got the windshield out safely using techniques that I found with the search function but I would like to know the best way to clean up the butyl left on the windshield and body.
Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(PH1 @ Mar 21 2010, 01:19 PM) *

I got the windshield out safely using techniques that I found with the search function but I would like to know the best way to clean up the butyl left on the windshield and body.
Click to view attachment

Get the excess off with a sharp putty knife and razor blade. Carefully!

Secondly try all the normal stuff to see if anything touches it, i.e., paint thinner, acetone or lacquer thinner.

Lastly call 3M and ask for their technical support people. They make a great adhesive remover, I mean really great, and probably have something that will work or know of something.

http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/indtap...echsupport.html
jt914-6
agree.gif
On my NAPA butyl package it says..."Any residual butyl material may be removed from the hardest surfaces with 4070 Universal Adhesive Cleaner." That must be a NAPA number....
SUNAB914
Rubbing alcohol
iamchappy
Roll up some of the butyl in a ball and use that to pull up most of it. That tackiness to itself will lift a lot of it off for you.
McMark
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.