Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help/ need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
Hello all: On my 74 2.0L 914, I am not getting power to the elec injector plugs on # 1 & # 4 cylinders thus I am running on 2 cylinders. I am just finishing putting the car back togetther from a bunch of work and had it running fine yesterday then all of the sudden this? happened. I switched injector wires and the problem moved with the #1 set of injector plug/wires. No power to # 1 & 4 injectors. I took the distributor off, removed the fuel injector trigger points and cleaned them and cleaned the three ground wires on the top-back of the engine, still only two cylinders. Anyone have advise? Than you, Joe
brant
its either those trigger points or else a break in the wires coming out of the distributor (to the same points)

I'd test the wires for continuity and then if they are good you will probably need some different lower fi points.....

you can probably test the points themselves for continuity also.

brant
ILM914
thank you will lookinto it more
scrz914
this is my story as well...except I have a brand new FI harness
Tell us how it goes for you
ILM914
OK
JeffBowlsby
Also check that all three ground wire connections are intact where they attach at the rear of the engine case.
pbanders
If the trigger contact points, grounds, and the harness check out OK, then the problem is your ECU. Most likely it's a failure of one of the germanium power transistors that drive the injectors. See the following schematic:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/ecu1.jpg

The transistors I refer to are the unlabeled pair below D502. It also could be another component failure in the ECU circuit path from the trigger contact points to the injection logic, but such failures are usually in the output stage.

If this is the case, you'll need a replacement ECU. From what I know, finding replacements for these germanium transistors is difficult, you may be able to salvage one from a scrap ECU.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(pbanders @ Mar 22 2010, 02:48 PM) *

If the trigger contact points, grounds, and the harness check out OK, then the problem is your ECU. Most likely it's a failure of one of the germanium power transistors that drive the injectors. See the following schematic:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/ecu1.jpg

The transistors I refer to are the unlabeled pair below D502. It also could be another component failure in the ECU circuit path from the trigger contact points to the injection logic, but such failures are usually in the output stage.

If this is the case, you'll need a replacement ECU. From what I know, finding replacements for these germanium transistors is difficult, you may be able to salvage one from a scrap ECU.

Sorry for the hijack

Brad. Do you know the transistor part number? I have some To3 2N2144 PNP germanium transistors and a few others.
ILM914
Thanks folks, I'm pretty sure it's the trigger points - no power coming from the wire coming out of the 3 pin distrubutor plug to # 1& 4 injectors. Does this seem right?
underthetire
Thought they were switched ground? confused24.gif
Anyway, you would really need to pull them and check continuity between the center pin and the right and left pins. They may check open in the Dizzy if the lobe has them open.
DipShit
I had this same problem last summer and I chased it for MONTHS. Originally the Capt posted ground, I felt the strap and it APPEARED good. BUT, after months of chasing all kinds of shit it (as far as replacing the wiring harness) ended up being the damn ground strap. It was split at the bolt and did not make a solid ground.

Check and double check the ground strap.
ILM914
Thanks will check again but everything is really clean and tight, just put engine and tranny back in after overhaul. Good idea though I'll check again, may have missed somthin. I am almost sure it is one side of the trigger points in the dizzy.
dflesburg
Did you find it?

Our car isnt running 2 or 4.

blowing lots of fuel out exhaust

can get it to idle new plugs points condensor rotor.

at idle pull each plug wire one at a time 2 and 4 make no diff pulling 1 or 3 make it die.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.