Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tunnel Tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
Well, I have to replace the entire tunnel. While working on it, I cut into the tubes headbang.gif so I cut the tunnel out of my parts car. I thought I had a good clutch tube in the parts car.... WRONG... So now I am trying to figure out how I am going to replace that, and while I'm at it, I am figuring on the likelihood that I will f' up the rest of the tubes.

So, has anyone replaced the tubes with something other than OEM? If so, what works good? I will be basically rebuilding the entire tunnel with it out of the car, so has anyone devised a particularly efficient way of anchoring the tubes while the tunnel is out? I want to rebuild this right the first time since I did it all the wrong ways so far.

By the way, the car is a 72, the replacement tunnel is from a 74. I am using the complete shift setup from the 74 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gigamight @ Mar 21 2010, 08:26 PM) *

Well, I have to replace the entire tunnel. While working on it, I cut into the tubes headbang.gif so I cut the tunnel out of my parts car. I thought I had a good clutch tube in the parts car.... WRONG... So now I am trying to figure out how I am going to replace that, and while I'm at it, I am figuring on the likelihood that I will f' up the rest of the tubes.

So, has anyone replaced the tubes with something other than OEM? If so, what works good? I will be basically rebuilding the entire tunnel with it out of the car, so has anyone devised a particularly efficient way of anchoring the tubes while the tunnel is out? I want to rebuild this right the first time since I did it all the wrong ways so far.

By the way, the car is a 72, the replacement tunnel is from a 74. I am using the complete shift setup from the 74 if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Do your tunnel fuel lines with the SS ones from Tangerine Racing - a member vendor on here. IIRC - the clutch tube may still be available new from Porsche, AA, PP, Pelican, etc. - otherwise either used or a cut-to-length of SS or mild steel tube & weld in place of stock.
Gigamight
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 21 2010, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Gigamight @ Mar 21 2010, 08:26 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

Do your tunnel fuel lines with the SS ones from Tangerine Racing - a member vendor on here. IIRC - the clutch tube may still be available new from Porsche, AA, PP, Pelican, etc. - otherwise either used or a cut-to-length of SS or mild steel tube & weld in place of stock.

Any idea what size tubes will work? I am looking to replace all of them (clutch, throttle, etc. ) as well as the fuel lines.

I did figure on doing the fuel lines in SS while I have it so easily accessible, thank you for the referral.
Gigamight
I'm sure trial and error will suffice to get the right sizes, but if anyone knows the sizes off the top of their heads for all those tubes, please chime in.
Bartlett 914
The correct metric steel tubing is available from McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com). It is not expensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.