Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas gauge won't work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
My gas gauge was down to almost zero maybe for about a few years, after I put about 5gal. It only moved about a 1/4 confused24.gif
what are the first things to look at?
Tom_T
Another 10 gals? confused24.gif

... notoriously inaccurate senders don't discern between 1/4 & 1/3 full on the 16.4 gal tank, then suddenly you're on RESERVE!!!! dry.gif
orange914
i'd bet your sending unit is coated over from sitting. not sure about 914 s.u.'s but every car i've seen, you can ground the wire @ sending unit, to the gauge input get full read. g.m. is opposite.

mike
dangrouche
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...der_replace.htm

check out the bird board procedure; cleaning it helps. make sure to blast air on the outside of the gas tank so minimize any grit going into the fuel tank. do in a well ventilated area, no smoking, etc. cleaned the sender on a tail dragger and the teener. these things are expensive, but you can find them used and new.
nsr-jamie
I had a similar problem too, what I did was fill up my tank to full completely and it seemed to work after that...I was always putting in 10 bucks here and 5 bucks there....see if it works....once it goes up to the full mark it may work again, sounds crazy but a small chance it could work.
914Sixer
Pull sending unit out of tank. There is a little hole on the base. Pour some lacquer thinner in there. Hold you finger over the hole on the side. Slosh it around and let it clean the wires and float. Drain out and gently move the tube side to side and listen and feel the float sliding up and down the wires. Reinstall and you are ready to go. As for the gauge, pull it and swap it with another or send to repair.
tod914
Once you clean it good, if it still is sticking, you can take the bottom off per the Pelican article and slightly bend the sliding bar/wire back in shape. Once the float slides up and down with ease, your good. Sometimes they will warp just enough to make the float stick.
underthetire
Um, ya put more gas in it. confused24.gif I've put as much as 16 gallons in mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.