Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-8 emblems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RJMII

shipped 4/7/2010. first run of 914-8 emblems closed.
rick 918-S
Jim, How long are you offering the special price. Wife cut me off for awhile. Just spent 2K on Abby (Alien baby alien_2.gif )
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 22 2010, 11:43 AM) *

Jim, How long are you offering the special price. Wife cut me off for awhile. Just spent 2K on Abby (Alien baby alien_2.gif )

She cut YOU off because you drove thousands of miles through hurricanes and blizzards to pick up HER car? Where's the justice? poke.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 22 2010, 01:43 PM) *

until my wife realizes I should be charging more. lol-2.gif

The end of march... then I'll be finishing the run of them and starting a run of something else. i missed seeing you at route 66; i was disappointed that the weather caused your rush in another direction.
burton73
Are your parts going to have high and low areas like the factory units?

Bob
RJMII
QUOTE(burton73 @ Mar 22 2010, 10:23 PM) *

Are your parts going to have high and low areas like the factory units?

Bob

Yes, they are. smile.gif
karlo
More pictures, please! I'm very close to shelling out the money for this, just need that extra little bump to put me over the edge...
McMark
So far so good! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
RJMII
QUOTE(karlo @ Mar 25 2010, 05:53 AM) *

More pictures, please! I'm very close to shelling out the money for this, just need that extra little bump to put me over the edge...

Here is another wooden one that I cut out, testing the multi layers gcode. The black one is the loaner for reference.

My new metal end-mill bits should be here soon to where I can cut some out of aluminum.

RJMII
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 25 2010, 07:42 AM) *

So far so good! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thank you, Mark! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product as well. aktion035.gif I'm getting closer.
Mike Bellis
agree.gif aktion035.gif

I'm in! when will they be ready? when do you need paymant? Does the price include shipping?
gothspeed
That looks great!!! I will be needing one that says 914 - GT in the future smile.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 25 2010, 05:45 PM) *

agree.gif aktion035.gif

I'm in! when will they be ready? when do you need paymant? Does the price include shipping?

I'm hoping to have them ready to ship on April 4th.

The price includes shipping in the lower 48 states.

payment can be made anytime between now and shipping day.

I have enough aluminum to do a run of 10.
RJMII
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 25 2010, 06:21 PM) *

That looks great!!! I will be needing one that says 914 - GT in the future smile.gif

Thank you! I might play with the design of yours in wood while I wait for my carbide bits/end mills to show up.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 25 2010, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 25 2010, 05:45 PM) *

agree.gif aktion035.gif

I'm hoping to have them ready to ship on April 4th.

The price includes shipping in the lower 48 states.

payment can be made anytime between now and shipping day.

I have enough aluminum to do a run of 10.

Just sent my Paypal, Thanks!
karlo
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 25 2010, 11:49 PM) *

Here is another wooden one that I cut out, testing the multi layers gcode. The black one is the loaner for reference.
You have me convinced. Money sent via Paypal.

- Karl
RJMII
Thank you Mike and Karl. =o)
burton73
Paypal sent.

Bob
kconway
What is the attachment plan? Will there be pins like on the earlier emblems or adhesive tape?
RJMII
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 25 2010, 10:59 PM) *

What is the attachment plan? Will there be pins like on the earlier emblems or adhesive tape?

Great question!

Right now they are just flat pieces of metal that would need adhesive tape. (now included)

I can look into using pins if someone wants them.
McMark
Just use emblem tape, like EVERY modern car. Forget the pins. They're too much work.

3M emblem tape
RJMII
Mark, thanks for the tip.

adhesive tape it is, then. =o)
karlo
If you can make them with pins, I'd be interested in paying a little extra.
RJMII
QUOTE(karlo @ Mar 26 2010, 12:45 PM) *

If you can make them with pins, I'd be interested in paying a little extra.

Do you already have holes in the back of your car? If so, how far apart are they?

I'm looking into options for pins for you; it looks like I could make shallow holes and then silver solder them or epoxy them into the holes.
computers4kids
914-Automatic ? idea.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 26 2010, 08:46 PM) *

914-Automatic ? idea.gif

Let me see if my x-axis will travel that far. =o) I might have to do it in a couple of stages, but... yeah. I'll give it a shot.

the CNC mill runs off of a different computer than what I do my designing on, and I just got some strips of aluminum that would probably be long enough.
RJMII
I've been playing with the 914-GT script in wood while waiting for the end mill bits for the aluminum.

Here's a pic:

It pushes the limits of my little mill; I'm thinking anything longer will have to be done in a couple of stages.
RJMII
and trimmed...
BKLA
Jim-

these are looking great! Great Job!

Send me an email with a price for the 914-6 and the 2.7. I'll paypal the same day!
karlo
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 26 2010, 10:56 PM) *
Do you already have holes in the back of your car? If so, how far apart are they?

I'm looking into options for pins for you; it looks like I could make shallow holes and then silver solder them or epoxy them into the holes.
Very nice!

The previous owner either closed up the holes, or the car never had them. Just place the pins in a manner similar to the original "914" emblem.

- Karl
gothspeed
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 27 2010, 03:10 PM) *

I've been playing with the 914-GT script in wood while waiting for the end mill bits for the aluminum.

Here's a pic:

It pushes the limits of my little mill; I'm thinking anything longer will have to be done in a couple of stages.

It looks awesome biggrin.gif!!!!! Maybe I should get one just to motivate me to finish my GT replica ..... smile.gif!!!
gothspeed
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 27 2010, 03:42 PM) *

and trimmed...

This is great smile.gif!!! Now I dont' have to make one myself ..... wink.gif
gothspeed
So what will the price be for the 914-GT tag? They are looking so beautiful .......... I can't wait ........ smile.gif
marks914
I like the 914-GT, I am in for one. Move the T closer to the G though
Mark

As for making the tape nice, we can laser cut it so that it will fit niceley on the back. I like to tay 1.0mm underflush of the emblem all the way around.
RJMII
QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 28 2010, 04:53 PM) *

Mark

As for making the tape nice, we can laser cut it so that it will fit niceley on the back. I like to tay 1.0mm underflush of the emblem all the way around.

Okay, will do. How much closer would you like it? I should probably remove the dash between the G and the T as well?

laser cutting sounds nice. I wish I had those capabilities. =o) maybe someday.
RJMII
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 28 2010, 10:21 AM) *

So what will the price be for the 914-GT tag? They are looking so beautiful .......... I can't wait ........ smile.gif

$65 for the GT ones, they are taking a bit more work.

and thank you! I'm really looking forward to cutting out of aluminum this week.
RJMII
I'm setting up the mill to cut this one out right now. =o)

I get to start cutting aluminum first thing tomorrow!

The mill is heading out to my dad's shop so I didn't have to build a shrowd to catch the chips flying off of it. It'll be good to have the noise out of the apartment, too.

I'm ahead of schedule for getting these done, and should have some aluminum chips soon enough.

I'm pretty excited about getting to make these; thank you everyone so far for your support and questions and suggestions.

The green lines are the tool path; and the blue ones are the lines that they are following. As you can see here, I still need to pocket out the insides of the 9 and the 6.
gothspeed
QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 28 2010, 03:53 PM) *

Mark

I am ok with the distance between the G and the T ......... though absolutely no dash between the letters.

Here is what I want in the font you are using .... smile.gif

914-GT

Will this be bare aluminum, powder coated or anodised?
RJMII
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 29 2010, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(marks914 @ Mar 28 2010, 03:53 PM) *

Mark

I am ok with the distance between the G and the T ......... though absolutely no dash between the letters. Will this be bare aluminum, powder coated or anodised?

Here is what I want in the font you are using .... smile.gif

914-GT

Okay! I can do that. =o) I can work on that next, while the 914-6 is running through the wood version to check the tool paths.

Bare aluminum.
RJMII
Here is the 914-6 out of wood.

The cheeto's thumb print is going to buff right out. I also need to add the tail back onto the '4'. and that's why I do them out of wood first.

the second picture is for the 914-GT modifications.

gothspeed, Mark, what do you two think? Should I make a wood one for your twos' approvals?

BKLA
Great job Jim!

Send mine just raw aluminum as I am rethinking what I want as a finish. I may just polish the snot out of them!
- or plate them
- or powdercoat them
- or anodize them....

Maybe they won't even go on the car! wink.gif
RJMII
Thanks, Brett! I'm aiming to please. =o)

Here's the first one in rough form. Playing with aluminum is a bit different than wood, that's for sure.

This one won't be going anywhere, it was for the sole purpose of practicing with the aluminum so the ones that leave will be perfect. =o)

More pictures will come as more of them are made.
PeeGreen 914
Very nice Jim beerchug.gif
kconway
You ought to try putting the 3M emblem tape on the aluminum stock before you mill it or do you think it would tear it up?
RJMII
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 30 2010, 10:40 AM) *

You ought to try putting the 3M emblem tape on the aluminum stock before you mill it or do you think it would tear it up?

Kevin;

It would tear it up, and it would change the distance between one end of the emblem and the other end by too many .001's of an inch to mill evenly. (I gave that idea some thought as well, and vetoed it myself)

However, applying the 3m tape afterwords and taking a razor blade to it will work wonders.

I need to go back and edit about it not coming with the tape, I realized I can pick it up at cost from NAPA so it would be cheaper for me to do it and more beneficial to you guys that are buying/have bought.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 30 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Very nice Jim beerchug.gif

agree.gif

It's cool when you can use your toys to make things for other peoples' toys.
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif Awesome! And I'm really glad to hear you'll provide them with the adhesive already installed. thumb3d.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 29 2010, 05:06 PM) *

Here is the 914-6 out of wood.

The cheeto's thumb print is going to buff right out. I also need to add the tail back onto the '4'. and that's why I do them out of wood first.

the second picture is for the 914-GT modifications.

gothspeed, Mark, what do you two think? Should I make a wood one for your twos' approvals?

I like it smile.gif!!!
kconway
Yeah, badass. I'll take a GT version.
RJMII
Getting closer to perfection...

If someone wants to claim this one as is; I can drop it in the mail tomorrow with a piece of sticky tape. (like what McMark linked to, or something very similar)

I can get some hi-res pics, too. my mom has a 12mp camera, and I have webserver space to upload to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.