Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: original 914-6 GT on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
check out auction 150426331925

dr914@autoatlanta.com
And the sad thing is that I placed this car in its new home about four years ago after declining to buy it from Howard Dehaven for $95,000 because I could not verify the id number.
r_towle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 22 2010, 05:01 PM) *

And the sad thing is that I placed this car in its new home about four years ago after declining to buy it from Howard Dehaven for $95,000 because I could not verify the id number.

OUCH!!!

Cant win all of them.

Rich
gothspeed
Is it really worth 275k? ............. 95k sounds more like it IMO .......... though I don't follow the market on these very much.
Gustl
it's always the same ... it's worth as much as somebody pays for it smile.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 22 2010, 02:45 PM) *

it's always the same ... it's worth as much as somebody pays for it smile.gif

True!! as much as someone is willing to pay ........ or as little as someone is willing to sell ........... smile.gif
Root_Werks
I didn't know all those records were "stolen" in the 80's. That really sucks.
9146BRUCE
275k and no 916 trans. ?
SirAndy
Older pic of the same car ...

IPB Image

driving.gif Andy
carr914
Frank in CT was the last owner and he would put it on eBay every once in a while. The last time was for $325k down from $375k. I had heard a month or so ago that this car was going to be sold. I've got a lot of pictures of this car.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 22 2010, 04:31 PM) *

Frank in CT was the last owner and he would put it on eBay every once in a while. The last time was for $325k down from $375k. I had heard a month or so ago that this car was going to be sold. I've got a lot of pictures of this car.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

I would buy it if the price was right and probably the right price to me is more than many as I would like to add it to my collection, but the fact that it is not a recorded factory number PLUS has no race history makes it an odd one to say the least.
sixnotfour
95k was a deal
looks pretty well documented here.
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_9146gt...zani_pa_dehaven
URY914
Same reasons I'm not bidding on it.
tod914
Says or best offer. Let me put on my thinking cap. Now if his best offer is a $1.00, is he legally bound to sell it?
davep
QUOTE(9146BRUCE @ Mar 22 2010, 01:55 PM) *

275k and no 916 trans. ?

No, it is not a 916. This is a 1970 model, and the 915 was not out until 1972.

The chassis # is missing the last digit. You can barely see a hint of it.
maxwelj
I've been acquainted with this car since it was first put on the road in 1971 or early 1972. The original owner was Charles Grimes. Charlie was a collector and driver, having owned a 904, a 906 and then a 908 at the same time he had this car. When he died, the GT went to his business partner, Howard. I'm sure there are others on this board that knew of the car and its long stay at Rennsport werkstadt in Tulsa and can add more to the history.
maxwelj
I guess I should have read the auction posting before I chimed in! The posting sounds right to me. Trying to keep up with Charlie in the twisties on club outings was a real treat!
1968Cayman
It's a shame all of that documentation was stolen. Now I'll NEVER be able to confirm the car I just bought for $250 is an original GT.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 22 2010, 05:54 PM) *

The chassis # is missing the last digit. You can barely see a hint of it.

From the last time it was for sale:

VIN#9140431571
PROJECT:914/42
ENGINE:6400636 (TYPE901/26)
GEARBOX:7501583 (TYPE 914/01)
BODY# 131597
PAINT CODE:"29" CANARY YELLOW

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=11123

shades.gif Andy
ChicagoPete
Didn't Bill Noon sell this car to Frank Gallogly about 18 months ago???

And now it is back in Bill Noon's hands?? Or maybe it is back at Symbolic on consignment? I just checked Frank's website and it is still listed there as well?

http://www.thegarageatlr.com/car_for_sale/..._yellow_sm.html

Anyone know this story??

Peter
TheCabinetmaker
Howard has been a personal friend of mine for 40 years. Don't you dare believe he sold that car for 95K!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carr914
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Mar 23 2010, 03:45 PM) *

And now it is back in Bill Noon's hands?? Or maybe it is back at Symbolic on consignment? I just checked Frank's website and it is still listed there as well?

Anyone know this story??

Peter

I think it is Frank that has it on consignment at Symbolic.

I think they overlooked the Frank Gallogly ownership as nothing was accomplished except sitting next to the Steve McQueen 911. As I said in my earlier post, I knew something was in the works and that was through a friend that has inspected and almost bought the car. And the source for my pictures!

T.C.

Click to view attachment

javadog
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 22 2010, 05:38 PM) *
I would buy it if the price was right and probably the right price to me is more than many as I would like to add it to my collection, but the fact that it is not a recorded factory number PLUS has no race history makes it an odd one to say the least.

You really ought to consider this car. Don't let the missing information fool you, this is a real GT and, at the time Howard sold it, it was easily the most original and untouched example out there. Very few people knew about this car until Bill bought it. It's value didn't lie in it's history; it was all in it's condition. If you ever wanted to know how the factory did something, all you had to do was look at this GT, as Howard kept it pretty original. Since Bill bought it, some of that originality has been lost.

Frankly, I was a little annoyed when Bill bought it, as I had spoken to Howard about it on a number of occasions. The problem with Howard has always been that if you weren't standing next to him the minute he decided to sell something, it went elsewhere, no matter how many previous conversations you'd had with him in the past. I lost out on three cars he sold, although I managed to buy the other two, in the end.

I'm a little sad that Bill and Frank have decided to part with it so quickly. It needs to find a good, long-term home.

JR
tat2dphreak
275? for a REAL FACTORY GT (not 6 +M471 package), seems like a decent price for something so rare.. and the car looks immaculate wub.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Mar 23 2010, 11:45 AM) *

Anyone know this story??

Peter

I've past by this place in the past and 2 years ago they had this car in the front window. I may have been doing 50mph but it still caught my eye.

I was never quite sure what that building was for. It's always locked and no one is ever there. They just have big windows so you can peek in.
bandjoey
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 24 2010, 11:49 AM) *

275? for a REAL FACTORY GT (not 6 +M471 package), seems like a decent price for something so rare.. and the car looks immaculate wub.gif

OK Wayne. Let's sell both our houses, hock our retirement fund, and get this car into a partnership and bring it to Texas!

Oh wait, ran this by my wife and she said KMA.gif and then chair.gif chair.gif

sorry, Bill
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 22 2010, 05:00 PM) *

95k was a deal
looks pretty well documented here.
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_9146gt...zani_pa_dehaven

It is now but back then it was not.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Mar 23 2010, 12:45 PM) *

Anyone know this story??

Peter

yeah I found out the complete story. I talked to Bill the night before last. He had called me originally about finding a GT.
Again I wish I knew back then what I knew now. I was looking for a FACTORY gt to add to my collection and at the time this had NO documentation. Bill went to the effort to prove the car. Now it is out of my price range with all of the other 914 hardware I own, that is just sitting here on display. I can drive my Ford everyday but not this one!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 23 2010, 01:04 PM) *

Howard has been a personal friend of mine for 40 years. Don't you dare believe he sold that car for 95K!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally sold very close but was offered by Howard at 95 to me. At the time a fair value, now way below market
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.