Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How reliable is the 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buhs914
I was just curious at the reliability of the 914. I know currently mine isn't but that's because i'm still ironing out the kinks the POs caused. But what about you guys and your 914s?
Root_Werks
Like most older cars you have the good:
Simpler, easier to keep going.
Generally, parts will cost less because there are less parts to fail

The bad:
Rust, earlier the car, the less rust preventative they have.
Parts sourcing, parts do get harder to find.

I had a 914-4 2.0 FI all stock I bought with just under 100k on it back in 1994 or 1995? I drove it daily, rain, snow, sunshine etc. Went through one clutch, couple of brake jobs, endless tune-ups, some rust repair.

When I sold it, it had 212k miles on it. It was leaking oil and leaving spots in the garage. Nothing all that bad though. BUT, still stock, it would fire and idle the FIRST time. I worked 2 full time jobs back then and pretty much lived in that 914. It's the longest I've ever owned a car at one time and by far, the most miles I've ever put on a car.

If you keep up the care on your 914, I see no reason why it wouldn't outlive you and me.
biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
It is as reliable as any other 35 year old car.
I would not want to have to rely on one as my only DD. As like anything mechanical and old, it will run like a top so long as you are willing to put time in to keep it running. But it won't run like a modern car, as it is not a modern car. It is more likely to leave you stranded then a newer vehicle.

Zach
jmill
As with almost everything mechanical, If you keep on top of the periodic maintenance it will be reliable. If you treat your car right you will be rewarded. Most of us make the mistake of while we're in there type work. If you fall into that trap buy a great set of jackstands. Mine has been sitting on a beautiful set for almost a year now. rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Mar 23 2010, 10:33 AM) *

How reliable is the 914?

How handy are you with tools? The two are closely related.

Having a AAA card doesn't hurt either ...
shades.gif Andy
buhs914
I was asking because i'm thinking of selling mine since i have no time and barely enough money to keep up with it since i'm in college. I haven't decided on whether or not i'll sell it.. but thanks for the replies.. I might end up just keeping it since i love it so much and the majority says i should hold on to it..
buhs914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2010, 11:39 AM) *

How reliable is the 914?

How handy are you with tools?

The two are closely related. Having a AAA card doesn't hurt either ...
shades.gif Andy

Haha well i can do just about any task related to mechanics. My only weakness is welding.. lol but my girlfriend is absolutely amazing at welding so i'll have her do it biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Going to college, drive a 914 driving.gif and your girlfriend in a good welder. welder.gif wub.gif Aaahhh, what was the question again?? WTF.gif
KELTY360
I've had my '74 2.0 FI since early 2006. In that time I've replaced the fuel pump, starter, battery, flasher and some fuses. I've got some bearing whine in the tranny and I'll replace the clutch when the tranny gets rebuilt. It's a 3-season DD and I always feel like I can take it on a 2000 mile trip with just the usual fluid changes. It's not pristine by any measure, but it's a good, solid driving machine. I drive it fairly hard at times and I never baby it. I had a brand new '73 1.7 that gave me more trouble than this one, but that was primarily vapor lock related that the dealership finally fixed.

Get you car sorted out and you'll be very pleased with it IMHO.

driving.gif
Tom_T

I was just curious at the reliability of the 914. I know currently mine isn't but that's because i'm still ironing out the kinks the POs caused. But what about you guys and your 914s?

I couldn't afford a new 914 while in college 70-74, nor shortly after with the rising prices on them 75-76 while the performance was worse due to added smog controls. So after I graduated & had a good job, I got a 3 yr old 73 2.0 in Dec. 75 with 45k on it as 2nd owner, & drove it as my only DD 12/75 - 5/85 up to 172k - kept it well maintained by a Porsche/VW factory trained German mechanic & did a rolling resto/overhaul 80-83 to the tune of $6500 ($20k+ today just with inflation & not counting NLA pricing!) - when a sorority ditz not paying attention rammed it in a parking structure while I was in MBA classes! sad.gif

So it's been on blocks in my SoCal garage since then, until I started working on repairs & resto recently. Everything will get refreshed & all electrical & soft parts replaced - but the parts availability & cost today are the big things. .... & I've got about 25 years of "deferred maintenance" to catch up on! dry.gif

It was a great DD 75-85 everywhere rain, shine, snow (ski trips), etc. Hopefully it will be a great driver again when the in progress resto is done, if at a reduced use, since I'll have 3 cars (all classics btw) & office at home! biggrin.gif

If you keep up on it, then you won't have as much cost & other issues as I do, as the others above have stated! If it's a solid 914, then I'd stick with it if you can, then when you're out & working & can afford a second DD - you can semi-retire to less than daily & more just for fun driving! biggrin.gif driving.gif

BTW - 914 parts are much easier to come by at a better cost, than for a same period 911/912 - which is why so many tail-dragger poofters get 914's for AX, race & DD use - not to mention that our 914s will run circles around 911s/912s in most cases! Also, keep in mind that many 914 parts are the same on VW 411, 412 & Bus ones - depending upon the part & model 914 vs. the VWs - so you can often save some coin by getting the equivalent VW part through a VW source.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
bandjoey
If it's paid for either store it or work on it yourself. It's an easy car to work on and lots of free help -- and an occasional free part -- from us. Find Harbor Freight for cheep tools, real all of the technical posts on World and Pelican, get a Haynes manual, and you can do anything. biggrin.gif

I sold my 914 out of college and now kick myself years later.
Katmanken
I think they are darned reliable.

After all, how many of todays modern cars are reliable enough to last 35 years???

Quality- works good....
Reliability- lasts long....
jd74914
My 914 is my DD. Its left me stranded once in the past 2.5 years (I don't think that is too bas a record) and that was an easy fix, but it was really cold out and I didn't notice the obviously broken wire. laugh.gif It does occasionally not want to start, but I've gotten really good at quickly cleaning/replacing/gapping points and know how to fake out pretty much every electrical component to get going in a pinch. My car is still fuel injected and does run like a top. I'm about 2 cranks from starting on even the coldest days.

I am in college (graduating soon) and drive probably 8k miles a year. A large portion of those miles are on somewhat poorly paved back roads and I'm not a very gentle driver so its reliability has really impressed me. Since I'm really busy with school/work/wrenching on other cars I don't really do anything but regular maintenance and haven't had any problems. smile.gif

Sorry for the long winded post, but in summation, I do think its extremely reliable for being 34+ years old. biggrin.gif
buhs914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2010, 02:15 PM) *

I couldn't afford a new 914 while in college 70-74, nor shortly after with the rising prices on them 75-76 while the performance was worse due to added smog controls. So after I graduated & had a good job, I got a 3 yr old 73 2.0 in Dec. 75 with 45k on it as 2nd owner, & drove it as my only DD 12/75 - 5/85 up to 172k - kept it well maintained by a Porsche/VW factory trained German mechanic & did a rolling resto/overhaul 80-83 to the tune of $6500 ($20k+ today just with inflation & not counting NLA pricing!) - when a sorority ditz not paying attention rammed it in a parking structure while I was in MBA classes! sad.gif

So it's been on blocks in my SoCal garage since then, until I started working on repairs & resto recently. Everything will get refreshed & all electrical & soft parts replaced - but the parts availability & cost today are the big things. .... & I've got about 25 years of "deferred maintenance" to catch up on! dry.gif

It was a great DD 75-85 everywhere rain, shine, snow (ski trips), etc. Hopefully it will be a great driver again when the in progress resto is done, if at a reduced use, since I'll have 3 cars (all classics btw) & office at home! biggrin.gif

If you keep up on it, then you won't have as much cost & other issues as I do, as the others above have stated! If it's a solid 914, then I'd stick with it if you can, then when you're out & working & can afford a second DD - you can semi-retire to less than daily & more just for fun driving! biggrin.gif driving.gif

BTW - 914 parts are much easier to come by at a better cost, than for a same period 911/912 - which is why so many tail-dragger poofters get 914's for AX, race & DD use - not to mention that our 914s will run circles around 911s/912s in most cases! Also, keep in mind that many 914 parts are the same on VW 411, 412 & Bus ones - depending upon the part & model 914 vs. the VWs - so you can often save some coin by getting the equivalent VW part through a VW source.

Cheers! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 23 2010, 02:34 PM) *

If it's paid for either store it or work on it yourself. It's an easy car to work on and lots of free help -- and an occasional free part -- from us. Find Harbor Freight for cheep tools, real all of the technical posts on World and Pelican, get a Haynes manual, and you can do anything. biggrin.gif

I sold my 914 out of college and now kick myself years later.

QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 23 2010, 08:51 PM) *

I think they are darned reliable.

After all, how many of todays modern cars are reliable enough to last 35 years???

Quality- works good....
Reliability- lasts long....

haha well it looks like i'll be holding on to my 914! I'll just fix up the not-as-important-for-daily-driving-but-still-needs-attention-areas little by little as i progress through college. Now all i have to do is find a damn job! IDK why it's so freakin hard to get one out here...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(buhs914 @ Mar 23 2010, 01:45 PM) *

Haha well i can do just about any task related to mechanics. My only weakness is welding.. lol but my girlfriend is absolutely amazing at welding so i'll have her do it biggrin.gif

If you don't marry her immediately you are a fool....... welder.gif

The 914 is very reliable. My wife has been driving hers as a daily driver for 23 years and 300K miles.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.