Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas for repairing the carnage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
If you have installed the inner triangle mounts for a front swaybar you had to hack up the ledge in the gas tank compartment so the triangles will fit in the right place. I had a real hard time getting my die grinder in there and ended up cutting more than I intended to. I have about a 1/4" gap on the ledge around the triangle plus an additional notch where the nut had to pass through. What did you do to patch up the carnage? Was thinking of welding in a small sheet metal patch, but was looking for some ideas.
jonferns
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Post some pics of the damage, and we'll go from there.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Mar 23 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Was thinking of welding in a small sheet metal patch...

Thats exactly what I would do.
davesprinkle
What you describe is pretty typical. It doesn't affect the integrity of the car. Just cover it up with the fuel tank.
1968Cayman
Post some pics of this if you can- I was thinking about performing that upgrade next week and would like to perceive the potential pitfalls before I proceed.

Wow. That was a lot of p's.
bobhasissues
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Mar 24 2010, 07:02 PM) *

Post some pics of this if you can- I was thinking about performing that upgrade next week and would like to perceive the potential pitfalls before I proceed.

Wow. That was a lot of p's.

Sorry, I can't get any pictures tonight. Look at the Pelican tech article on this topic and they show a pretty typical picture of the cuts you have to make. I used an old Dumore die grinder and had a lot of interference with the tool and car body. I would have been able to make a much more precise cut if I could have found the angle adapter for my Dremel. I think a small angled cutter is the key to doing this really well.
r_towle
Drill a hole on each end of the proposed cuts.
Use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel, or a dremel to make the cut...done.

Rich
strawman
I just did this mod on my tub. I drilled 1/4" holes for each "corner," and then used a combo of an air die grinder, an air angle grinder and a Dremel to connect the holes. For the vertical cuts, I used a round burr bit to grind out the spot welds and a square burr bit to cut the straight lines. Hard to describe, but it worked. I'll post some pics on my build page when I get back home from a trip to S.F. to help my blind mother with my stepdad's recent stroke -- it sucks getting old, but he's recovering pretty quickly.

Count your blessings daily (although my 8 y.o. yellow lab died today -- what next?). Time for another beer!

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.