Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radios in 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
When I sold my Boxster, I pulled out the CDR220 deck unit. Now, it sits in my 914!

Who's done other similar installs? I love the fact the deck says "Porsche". biggrin.gif
Porcharu
I'm looking for a period correct AM radio. Just want news and traffic - no distraction from tunes.
Elliot Cannon
Who needs a radio when the machine makes the music. It goes beep beep vrooooooom. driving.gif lol-2.gif
'73-914kid
I'd have to admit I don't need a radio, but since my 914 is my daily driver, I kinda started looking around. Wasn't too worried about the looks, but found a pretty nice looking Sony radio that isn't extremely flashy and ricer. Still haven't put it in due to I need to build a center console for gauge space though.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 23 2010, 08:44 PM) *

When I sold my Boxster, I pulled out the CDR220 deck unit. Now, it sits in my 914!

Who's done other similar installs? I love the fact the deck says "Porsche". biggrin.gif

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif Great interior!

I want to do the EXACT same thing after seeing the radio in my old Boxster. Are you going to add all the speakers somehow too?

computers4kids
Dan,
I love the look of your new teener...especially the interior. It's pretty easy to connect an ipod to a period specific radio if you want.

So I have to ask...are you going to keep the bumpers?...looks great with them!
Mark
patssle
I just put in 2 speakers into the stock locations, then placed a small cheap amplifier in the front trunk - then ran a cable to the cabin - right into an mp3 player. No dashboard receiver needed.

It has an old style sound to it with no bass due to crappy 4x6 speakers biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
GREAT looking radio!
I have a hidden face Sony...still haven't put it in, same with the 6.5" speaker pods. I usually tend have no radio so I can listen for things going wrong with my car, haha.
Root_Werks
Yes, keeping the BUB's and leaving this 914 pretty much alone. I spent an hour getting the CDR-220 deck unit installed fabbing up a little bracket behind for support just so nothing on the 914 would have to be modified.

The wiring on the back of this deck is exactly the same as VW's from the same period. Going to a local bone-yard this weekend to snip off a plug and wire it up.

Speakers and amp - Just getting some nice speakers for the stock locations and no amp. Nothing fancy here. Same as was mentioned above, nice to get the news in the morning, I do have some CD's and on a trip will be nice to have some tunes.

Not a big stereo guy, but thought it was WAY COOL the CDR-220 Porsche deck fit like a glove. Just had to share it.

BTW - I still pinch myself everytime I sit in this 914, the interior is drooley.gif

I don't want to do anything to mess it up.
Porsche Rescue
CDR 220 is a great fit for 928's as well and they are often on Ebay in the $200 range. Many Boxster drivers are wanting newer/blue tooth units. However, I am told that the display can be difficult or impossible to read in a 928 unless it is modified. Something to do with the angle of the unit in relation to driver's eyes. Any problem in a 914?
Root_Werks
None that I've noticed, I've only powered it up and input the security code. Ilumination seems great. I still need to find some speakers and then I'll have tunes!

Even a CDR210 would be kinda cool. Those are a dime a dozen.
Zundfolge
I have a Kerry Hunter Header with a Supertrapp. No way I could hear a radio even with a big amp and subs.

IPB Image
jt914-6
Here's my stereo.......

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 23 2010, 10:44 PM) *

I really like that. ipod capable?

I was planning an alpine unit similar to the one I use in my DD.
Porsche Rescue
Wayne, go here http://forums.rennlist.com/ and search 928 forum for "CDR 220", then go to the thread "fighting bling...". Everything you need to know. Their is an aux input. Not sure about the display when radio is in a 914. Maybe no problem as with the 928. Jim Corenman offered to modify my faceplate for a very nominal charge.
Root_Werks
Yes, I know you can update the CDR220 to accept an i-pod jack. It's pretty common.

I won't bother with mine, 90% of the time I flip through local stations. The other 8% of the time it's off and the last 2% is CD. Plenty good for me.
Jakeodoule
I left my stock radio alone.
I added an amp and a ipod cable. I just ran the output of the earphone jack into the input of the amp. Then you use the volume on the IPOD to control it. Works like a champ. My amp has gain,bass and high adjustments so I can fine tune it that way, or with the ipod EQ.
The Ipod hook-up comes out next to my shift lever and it sits right there in the console.
I then installed a couple of Jame's speaker boxes. I have the tweeters mounted up where the coat hooks were. Coat hooks??? Never figured that one out.
Anyway I can listen to my IPOD or I can turn on the stock radio and its wired directly to the speakers, I just shut off the ipod and work the radio.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=211
824]Click to view attachment
gasman
You can use a mp3 player in an old 70's Blaupunkt....There is a guy who makes the DIN calble in the USA......All you need to tell him is if it is mono or stereo....Mine workd great.
Millerwelds
First and foremost forgive the dirt! This is a daily driver and I have a gravel driveway.

So i used an ipod dock from Denson (ICE Link) that I modified. I run it through RCA outs directly into two amps. For volume control I modified the cigerette lighter with a rheostat (sp?). Stock head unit (not used - but could be) and everything looks old school till you crank it up.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

aktion035.gif

patssle
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 24 2010, 07:03 AM) *

I just put in 2 speakers into the stock locations, then placed a small cheap amplifier in the front trunk - then ran a cable to the cabin - right into an mp3 player. No dashboard receiver needed.

It has an old style sound to it with no bass due to crappy 4x6 speakers biggrin.gif

Well, after using it once or twice - I removed my $100 stereo system. I rather listen to the noise of my car and the wind. (plus my whole 2nd gear problems thing).

Now just need to figure out what to do with an amp and 2 speakers.
jim_hoyland
One cool thing about the Becker radio from the Boxster is they have the capability to raise the volume as you go faster. On the Boxster, a wire from the #1 slot on the big connector at the back of the radio runs to the speed sensor at the #18 position of the dual relay for the top. The volume starts to increase at about 40 mph and seems to stop raising at about 75mph

I always wondered whether there is anything in the 914 that might be able to produce a signal to control the radio volume with the Becker ??
JJ914GT
Never seen anyone else do it, but I have 3 gauges in a panel in the stock stereo location and the stereo itself is in the glovebox, made a face for it out of aluminium behind the glovebox door. I don't want a modern radio in sight, but i do want a modern radio. Next to it there's room for a 12v plug and above it is room for a few CD's.

The 914 has a nice doorpocket on the driversdoor, so don't need the extra glovebox space.

Root_Werks
Update, I did finally get speakers installed, just some 4x6's for now. Took some time to wire things in very neatly and it sounds really good for 4x6's!

I plan on getting the center console and upgraded side speaker package from apprearnce and performance probably this month. That way I'm not modifying anything on the car, but will have the 2-6inch speakers and the one little sub-woofer in the console.

Tunes!

With the top down going 70mph, you can hear the current set-up just fine. driving.gif
EdwardBlume
How's the Boxster radio holding up? Any battery drain?
Root_Werks
Nope, even after sitting for over a week at a time, works great.

Even does what it did on the 986:

Tunes on, shut car off, sound blends out and deck turns off 5-6 seconds later.

You can turn it back on without the key in place and it will turn back off after the 5-10 minute if no power has been sent to it from the ign switch.

Pretty cool.

I still need to get some 914ap speaker pods. Stock 4x6's just make noise.
windforfun
One of these days...

popcorn[1].gif

EdwardBlume
Sounds cool... thanks for the update!

Did you wire in the CD changer too?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 21 2010, 02:00 PM) *

One of these days...

popcorn[1].gif

No radio to hear the motor is cool and all, but it kind of screams "poverty"... lol-2.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 21 2010, 02:15 PM) *

One of these days...

popcorn[1].gif

No radio to hear the motor is cool and all, but it kind of screams "poverty"... lol-2.gif

I'm poor.

sad.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 21 2010, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 21 2010, 02:15 PM) *

One of these days...

popcorn[1].gif

I'm poor.

sad.gif

See? I told you so... lol-2.gif
Nick
Personaly I think modern Radios look wrong in a 914. If money were no object I would be tempted by this:

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/Automotive-Mexico+7948.html
realred914
I got a vintage Blaupunk radio with a cassete palyer and recorder!.. Yes it records, it has a hand held micorphone on a long coiled cord so you can make recordings in your car!

AM and FM also. way cool stuff

then again my buddy had a chysler imperial with a phonograph player in it. that car was 21 feet long, big four door with 500 cu. inch motor and twin four barrels (special factory option, 1968 as i recall)
VaccaRabite
I do not have a radio in my car.
I do have an amp and speakers, and the input come from my iPod.
The spot where the radio would go is three gauges - though I don't have pics of it.

Now, that said... I don't use it, and am thinking about pulling it out of the car and putting it in the m715 when I am done with that truck. I tested the system, and it works great. But when driving, I have never once used it.

Zach
Root_Werks
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 21 2010, 02:13 PM) *

Nah, too much for my tastes, not a big stereo guy. Just like having the news on or some cool 80's music in the background.

I'll never go beyond the two speakers and single CD player. No amp etc. Too much for the car, I don't want to drill holes, have all that wiring etc.

Keeping it simple. wink.gif
Mark Henry
A buddy put one of these in his bug. Very small chassis would fit a 914 stock hole no problem.

http://www.cipretro.ca/
windforfun
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 22 2010, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 21 2010, 02:13 PM) *

Nah, too much for my tastes, not a big stereo guy. Just like having the news on or some cool 80's music in the background.

I'll never go beyond the two speakers and single CD player. No amp etc. Too much for the car, I don't want to drill holes, have all that wiring etc.

Keeping it simple. wink.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

I don't like using a hole saw on my car. But I bet you could do it without having to drill a single hole.
EdwardBlume
some cool 80's music in the background

Oh yeah! aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
some cool 80's music in the background

Oh yeah! aktion035.gif

I guess with an iPod, the need for a CD changer is very low...

Thanks for all the info..I'm close to getting a Boxster radio of some type...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.