Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black US Safety Stickers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelmoo
Gauging interest in having some no longer made black US safety stickers made (namely because I need one for my old 911. I’ve been told the dealers can get them, but the 4 I’ve called says no luck they don’t make them anymore.). These are the ones in the door jamb. I’m going to do a test run to work out the details, but they should be close to the originals. I have correctly reproduced the dot font so I can print it on there are you can punch it out or leave it. I think that several versions will be offered. Plain with no vin and date, Plain with no vin and date but with a simulated “kiss” cut, One with vin and date, One with vin and date and with a simulated “kiss” cut. I’m guessing right now that the cost will be between $15 and $20 (including shipping to the continental US). I know the pre ’74 silver ones have been done, but these are the no loner made black ones. If interested (this is not to order just if there is enough interest to proceed) email cavedesign22@gmail.com.

Mike
flipb
Would be cool if I could trim one to "complete" the damaged sticker on my '74.

IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
Might want to look up the old threads on this one, and maybe do a little legal research. In most, if not all, states, sticking one of these on your car may be considered a felony. Even if it's your own car and the correct VIN.

The Cap'n
michaelmoo
This was beaten to death on early911 boards. From the research I've done it isnt an actual vin it is a safety sticker.
jonferns
I'd be in for two, with VIN.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Mar 24 2010, 07:22 AM) *

This was beaten to death on early911 boards. From the research I've done it isnt an actual vin it is a safety sticker.

It's got a VIN on it, and it's in a prominent position. Don't use your one phone call to call me ........................

The Cap'n
montoya 73 2.0
According to the two gentlemen that came to my house (San Jose, California, back in 1996) and towed away our VW's from my front yard, If you remove anything with your VIN number that was originally assigned it is against the law! I had to pay for them towing then the storage and release of my legal vehicles before I could drive them back home. Don't know if that is still the case but it cost me and my brother $1600.00

They also said the reason they towed them was because the engine numbers didn't match the VIN numbers? So they confiscated the vehicles so they could research for possible VIN tampering and theft.

In any case it's just my experience.

So agree.gif with the Cap'n! headbang.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 24 2010, 11:02 AM) *

They also said the reason they towed them was because the engine numbers didn't match the VIN numbers? So they confiscated the vehicles...

I went through that with some CA cops once upon a time...
_Prior to 1955_ vehicles were commonly titled with the engine number as the VIN.
This was the case with my '53 and naturally, merely 30 years later, the original engine was not in the car and the body number (what we'd commonly call a VIN nowadays) was different.

Jerkwads didn't know how to open and close an early hood so to this day it has a ghastly kink in it. Gotta fix it some day when I can look at it without my blood boiling...

End of long story, You can get an 'assigned VIN' on the title, basically a change of VIN, if there is a 'prominantly and permanently affixed' numbered panel - _and_ that number is not already in use by another vehicle in the same class (trailer to trailer, motorcycle to motorcycle...). (Unsurprisingly) my body number was not already in use, I got re-titled to the body number. And left California not long after.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Mar 24 2010, 06:58 AM) *

Gauging interest in having some no longer made black US safety stickers made (namely because I need one for my old 911. I’ve been told the dealers can get them, but the 4 I’ve called says no luck they don’t make them anymore.). These are the ones in the door jamb. I’m going to do a test run to work out the details, but they should be close to the originals. I have correctly reproduced the dot font so I can print it on there are you can punch it out or leave it. I think that several versions will be offered. Plain with no vin and date, Plain with no vin and date but with a simulated “kiss” cut, One with vin and date, One with vin and date and with a simulated “kiss” cut. I’m guessing right now that the cost will be between $15 and $20 (including shipping to the continental US). I know the pre ’74 silver ones have been done, but these are the no loner made black ones. If interested (this is not to order just if there is enough interest to proceed) email cavedesign22@gmail.com.

Mike

we have several hundred on the shelf for the various years of the 914 and the 914-6 but only the silver ones for the earlier 911 models. Maybe you could get these and punch them for people as they need them. So we have the early silver the middle black and the late black here HUNDREDS of them
jonferns
George, how come you guys can't punch them?
rick 918-S
The safety sticker gets removed, painted over and damaged all the time. It's a sticker. Simple, Anyone asked to see your vin # show them the one that is "stamped" in the body and the riveted "stamped" tag in the windsheild.

If they bring up the sticker tell them it's not a vin tag but as saftey sticker. They don't make vin tag "stickers." That's why they stamp the numbers in the car. makes it alot harder to just peel off and change. duh!

I say remake the saftey sticker, figure out how to replicated the punched out number, and if someone wants to try to punch the number themselves offer instruction and a source for tooling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.