Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
street legal go-kart
driving.gif none of the user cars i have seen have the rear decklid spoiler .
is there some unspoken taboo against it ?
does any one have practical exp with using one ?
my use is in the 20-95mph range
thx
jonathan t driving.gif
Brad Roberts
I use them if the rules permit (SCCA-No, PCA-Yes)

This one is "Ok"

I cant find a pic of the one we normally use.

OH.. I have this one in black Gel coat (for sale) 60$ and 20$ goes to the Dave (Korijo) fund.

B
street legal go-kart
thanks brad
how do they attach?
do i have to drill my rear lid?
thx again
jonathan t
Brad Roberts
You have to drill your rear lid.. We normally have two lids for the cars. One with the spoiler and one without. Both painted to match the car.

B
SirAndy
i like em. especially with the flares.
here's mine:

IPB Image
seanery
Go Kart, the one that racers use is usually from Sheridan.
You can see it HERE

IPB Image
Bleyseng
Here what is looks like with big bumpers
Geoff
Kerrys914
Do you guys have anything between the spoiler and the trunk lid? The one I have has some old funky rubber gasket type piece. Ay ideas on a replacment, if it is required?

It seems like it was used to help seal out water and to help hide the uneven botom edges??????

Cheers
beer.gif
Bleyseng
Mine came from PP without any gasket. I added some double stick tape so I could position it and hold it in place while I screwed it in. I think it should be glassed in to look right.
Geoff
seanery
The white car is not my car, it's from the Sheridan web page.
www.ultimate914.com

It is a race part, not something I would use for daily use.
Most of these (that I have seen) are pop riveted in place.
aufaber
I always kinda like the adjustable nascar style one a few of the racers around here run. Not sure who makes it.

IPB Image

-Aaron G>
Kerrys914
I was going to glass mine in but decided it would see alot of open/close action and crack the paint.

I guess I can do some glass work and get a matching surface for the spoiler.

I just about sanded my arms off this weekend on only one of my flares...Ouch sad.gif
1 down 3 to go..then it's off to the paint shop boldblue.gif

Thanks
Kerry
Brad Roberts
Um .. Gokart...

You listed a wanted ad for a OEM Style .... there was no such thing.

You have 2 choices. The one I posted and the one that Roger Sheridan sells. Roger sells a 3 inch rear spolier and a 6 inch rear spoiler.

aufaber,

That is the 6 inch Sheridan spoiler. The white car above is the same spoiler but 3 inch.

Roger gives a discount to club members. He stocks nothing and makes them AFTER you send him the money.

B
Brad Roberts
Seanery,

The Sheridan spoiler does get riveted on, but the quality of the spoiler is head and shoulders above the first one I posted. It also fits the rear lid perfectly (because Roger made the moulds using a real decklid) The other doesnt fit worth a crap and rattles loose with time.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Va914 @ Apr 7 2003, 06:33 AM)
Do you guys have anything between the spoiler and the trunk lid?

all glassed in ... no cracks so far (fingers crossed)
drew365
Here's one I just installed this weekend. It's a little more radical but it's on a track car. The spoiler and rear lid are one piece and fiberglass. The whole piece sure is a lot lighter than the stock one.
drew365
Here's the view the competition will see. biggrin.gif
drew365
That's what I get for clicking those buttons too quick.
Schnell944
I have a HUGE whale-tale looking spoiler that the PO put on mine. does anyone know what Im talking about? at first i didnt care for it much, but it's growing on me
Brad Roberts
Yep. I know which one your talking about... It is BIG.

Drew,

we run that one made in carbon fiber on the rear of one of the V8 cars.

B
Mike T
QUOTE(drew365 @ Apr 7 2003, 01:15 PM)
Here's one I just installed this weekend. It's a little more radical but it's on a track car. The spoiler and rear lid are one piece and fiberglass. The whole piece sure is a lot lighter than the stock one.

Who sells that one?

Mike T
URY914
Mike,
that looks like the AIR (American International Racing) deck lid and spoiler. I had one that I bought second hand and it was very poor quality. So bad in fact if you measured from the right corner to the ground and the left corner to the ground, it was more than a inch differance. I spent hours trying to fix it and finally took the sawz-all to and cut it off and added my own back on.

Paul
drew365
I bought it from Dave at TRE in North Hollywood,CA. It may be an AIR, I don't know. Mine fits just fine except it's a little high in the curve about 2/3 the way back, but really about the same as most fg lids I've seen. Dave has the same one on his -6 and it fits fine also.
Lawrence
My tastes over the years have changed regarding the 914. More and more, I like the stock looking cars. Although a GT-replica car could hide in my driveway anytime.

I used to say I wanted a metallic-purple, V-8, flared, big honkin spoiler, carbon fiber interior, 5-lug, walnut facia inlay'd car with a bunch of rally lights and quick-release pins on the lids and targa-top. Something to offend everybody! :finger2:

But I've mellowed in my old age. -_-

My personal opinion is that I don't like the spoiler on a 914, except maybe on a flared car. On a stock bodied car, it just looks very "rice-boy" to me. My personal opinion only.

-Rusty driving.gif
street legal go-kart
lost this thread due to following up on local leads
just bought one like sir chris has
i can see that it will take some fitting
i think im going to take brads advise and buy another rear lid so i can run both.
thx again
jt
street legal go-kart
hey !
being nuvo riche i kind of like that "rich boy look "

jt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.