Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Info on the different style fog light lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
GaroldShaffer
I posted this in the garage forum also, but thought it should go here also.
I just happen to have a sets of the different style lenses Porsche used for Fog lights on our beloved 914s. By my count there was actually 4 different style lenses used. So lets start:

Style one was used on all 1970 914 & 914/6 only (maybe on 71s also, but I haven't seen any) We all know the early foglights were round, but there were three different style lenses used.

This is style was used on 1970. Notice the line dividing the lense. You will not see that on 71 - 74 cars.
Click to view attachment
Style two is the most common seen for round fog lights
Click to view attachment

Style three is Euro style. From research I have done they were available in the USA, but you had to order them. Notice how different the lenses looks.

Click to view attachment
Style four is used on all 75 & 76 cars equipped with fog lights.
Click to view attachment

here is all four side by side. I'm still resarching as I have seen cars with different color lenses, but I am not sure if it was factory option or not. SO stay tuned.
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Have you looked here yet Garold?
http://p914.com/p914_lenses_fog.htm

Good info on the series of fog/driving lights used on 914's with pix! beerchug.gif

IIRC - back in the day the dealer told me that one of the fog lights available in Europe/GB, were illegal here because they lacked DOT approval, so you couldn't even special order it. I think it was the yellow round fogs.

Now you may see those here, with parts swaps & imported Euro-land 914s.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 24 2010, 09:26 PM) *

I posted this in the garage forum also, but thought it should go here also.
I just happen to have a sets of the different style lenses Porsche used for Fog lights on our beloved 914s. By my count there was actually 4 different style lenses used. So lets start:

Style one was used on all 1970 914 & 914/6 only (maybe on 71s also, but I haven't seen any) We all know the early foglights were round, but there were three different style lenses used.

This is style was used on 1970. Notice the line dividing the lense. You will not see that on 71 - 74 cars.
Click to view attachment
Style two is the most common seen for round fog lights
Click to view attachment

Style three is Euro style. From research I have done they were available in the USA, but you had to order them. Notice how different the lenses looks.

Click to view attachment
Style four is used on all 75 & 76 cars equipped with fog lights.
Click to view attachment

here is all four side by side. I'm still resarching as I have seen cars with different color lenses, but I am not sure if it was factory option or not. SO stay tuned.
Click to view attachment

Nice job!
Well researched & accurate!
Yes, I know there were other derivations for non-US cars, but in many states those would not have passed muster with the state DOT people.
My recollection (for my state then) is that style four were considered driving lights (in 74), and not legal on Kentucky roads. Tou could modify fog lights & be OK, but Dl's made you fail inspection. Hell, I don't think Kentucky even has an inspection program today!
Today, and here in PA, all they care about is that your car is safe & passes emissions. That's good - we don't habe the dangerous rustbucket klunkers that KY has. However, if you drive less than 5K mile/year, you can waive the emissions test. Good for classics!
Good topic! Didn't mean to semi-hijack it, but it's Friday night & you know.......
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.