Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need help identifying my 911 struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickthejetman
hello gang i bought some 911 struts and i'm not real sure what year they are. i'm trying to buy the misc parts to put them on my 914 and i really need to know the year.
p/n on the strut housing is 911-041-079-04
does this ring a bell for anyone?
also whats a good cheap source for things like bearing dust caps and thrust washers and axle nuts?
Dave_Darling
I think that second group is "341", check the number again.

The Pelican catalog lists that as an OEM strut part number, but does not indicate the year.

A quick Google search comes up with this Pelican thread:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...boge-strut.html

So it sounds like it's a Boge strut from a 73 911.

--DD
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Mar 24 2010, 11:52 PM) *

i really need to know the year.
p/n on the strut housing is 911-041-079-04

Why?

I agree with DD, the 2nd group is '341'

The manufacturer name will be on the strut body.
it's probably 'Boge' especially if it's 3" caliper spacing.
(But read on, I think you have a Bilstein.)

You don't need to know the year so much as the gland nut type (which the mfg name will tell you) and the ball joint type.

What kind of ball joint does it take? Your choices are pinchbolt (early) and crosspin (later). If the retaining boss is split, it's a pinchbolt.

As it is a 911 first group, it _should_ be a '72+ pin-type ball joint.

ETKA says a 911.041.079/080 is the L/R S-caliper (3.5" spacing) Bilstein strut from a 1974 911/911S. Will definitely have pin ball joints.

My reference of course has a completely different 4th group ( .36 ) which should just be a minor difference such as valving or internal improvement. Entering the part number into the 'search by part number' calls the part 'pressure damper' which in 911-speak means Bilstein.

A .04 4th group may mean that it was a part bought through Bilstein aftermarket sources and not original to the car. I for sure can't say for sure.

Not to quibble with DD's Pelican reference, but I think you have an S-caliper 1974 Bilstein...

Get back to us after you've measured the caliper spacing and read the strut tube for mfg names again ...
rickthejetman
ok i bead blasted them at work today you are correct the second group is "341" they are boge struts and have the crosspin ball joint. calipers spacing is 3".
rickthejetman
any good sources for the misc hardware i need would be helpful as well. i checked autoatlanta they want $50 for a bearing dust cap that sounds crazy to me.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Mar 25 2010, 10:41 AM) *

any good sources for the misc hardware i need would be helpful as well. i checked autoatlanta they want $50 for a bearing dust cap that sounds crazy to me.

There's nothing magic about any of those parts.
On the left coast, I'd try PartsHeaven or EASY.
They'll both have bucketloads of them.
rickthejetman
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Mar 25 2010, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Mar 25 2010, 10:41 AM) *

There's nothing magic about any of those parts.
On the left coast, I'd try PartsHeaven or EASY.
They'll both have bucketloads of them.

thanks for the company names i have an email sent to partsheaven. i've never heard of them before, but not surprising i'm new to the posche world.
sww914
Parts Heven are good.
I'd send you some dust caps but I've already harvested pieces of them for other projects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.