Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type of engine is in this youtube 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Does anybody know what type of engine is in this 914. It looks extremely fast.

I am setting up my 914 for autoX. This looks like a good car to model after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd77YaGoVQQ
Mike Bellis
It sounds like a rotary. I had one in my 63 VW bus. It was stupid fast. A stock 13B is around 165hp without a turbo. With a turbo, porting, bigger injectors... 500hp is possible. the 13B is 1.3 liters and almost half the size of a T4 engine.
brilliantrot
Sounds and looks like just a hot carbed T4 with a Supertrap.
URY914
I was thinking a big -4 too.
Rand
Definitely not a rotary. A 4, running a little rough at times.
tomeric914
Sounds like my 2270, except that one appears to have a miss. Sounds like it's too rich, has a clogged jet or a float setting problem.
orange914
kg6dxn
agree.gif

rotary
Jake Raby
Sounds familiar...

I am pretty sure thats the same car as this video. I have a customer who runs my engine in dual AX/ DE events in that region and to me, that sounds like one of my engines.. His car is also yellow AFAIK.

He is ONE HELL of a driver and if you look close the tach can be seen mounted in the same place on the dash as the car in the video.. Note that the tach STARTS at 5,000 RPM.. The engine is good for 8,700 RPM. Powerband is between 3000-7700 RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13C3v2L788

Here is his first outing on the big track from a while back, same engine.. Dual purpose BEAST!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFRrbjy_pM

There is a chance that it isn't the same car, but I doubt it... He never sent me pics, but from the way this guy drives and the region and engine sound it damn near has to be.

That stumble you hear is the fuel spilling over the floats in the carbs as the G force impacts it, especially at lower RPM.. It makes the engine go full rich for a second, then it screams to life. That could be tuned out with float height adjustments, or by going to a pair of Dellortos from the Webers that it currently has... Just little old 44s breed that beast to 218HP. IF its the same car/engine that I believe it is.
Porcharu
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 25 2010, 05:41 PM) *

It sounds like a rotary. I had one in my 63 VW bus. It was stupid fast. A stock 13B is around 165hp without a turbo. With a turbo, porting, bigger injectors... 500hp is possible. the 13B is 1.3 liters and almost half the size of a T4 engine.

Sounds like a rotary - your kidding I hope. Hot rotary's sound like an angry swarm of hornets. That car sounds like a flat four with a header and not much muffler. I used to run with a guy that had a Triumph with street ported 12A and that thing sounded evil - fast as hell too.
sean_v8_914
a type 4 with clogged idle jets
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.