Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding my 914 engine (Pics Added)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the engine I want to rebuild but i'm not sure if its a 2.0,... it has the number in front of the engine case and no numbers to the rear and I don't believe it has 2.0 head because they have 4 studs instead of 3...what do you guys think.... I got this set up for $600.... the guy ran it for me out of the car and it sounded good but I dont know how the compression is... should I clean it up and put it in my car and see how it runs or should I rebuild it.... I believe it has an oil leak in front of the engine where the oil temp goes because their is an accumulation of oil there..... I need some help what do you guys thinks ... any feed back welcomed thanks
McMark
Post the serial number.
recko911
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 25 2010, 06:40 PM) *

Post the serial number.

I have pictures but i'm having trouble uploading them....
McMark
Pictures FAQ

Your pictures are too big. Reduce the size before uploading, or only put one per post.
Tom_T
QUOTE(recko911 @ Mar 25 2010, 06:43 PM) *

Post the serial number.

OK then, write down the serial number & type.gif it here! biggrin.gif

If it starts with a:
GA - then it's a USA 73-74 2.0 914,
GB is 73-74 (or maybe through 76) Euro/non-US &
GC is the 75-76 USA (maybe world??) 2.0 914.

welcome.png smile.gif
recko911
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 25 2010, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(recko911 @ Mar 25 2010, 06:43 PM) *

Post the serial number.

OK then, write down the serial number & type.gif it here! biggrin.gif

If it starts with a:
GA - then it's a USA 73-74 2.0 914,
GB is 73-74 (or maybe through 76) Euro/non-US &
GC is the 75-76 USA (maybe world??) 2.0 914.

welcome.png smile.gif

Finally uploaded pics..... The letter ahead of numbers are almost gone... it looks like GA but their faded... the engine case might be 2.0 but the heads are 4 stud??
McMark
What you've got there is a Who-Knows motor. Could be anything. The only way to know for sure is to take it apart and measure.
Eric_Shea
Looks like GA from the picture. Why did they do that I wonder?

Click to view attachment

Clean it up... maybe powdercoat the tin and do a compression check on it. If it ran and has good compression, put it in and have fun for a while.
jt914-6
If the intakes bolt on with three studs....2.0....four studs.....1.7/1.8....heads that is...
sean_v8_914
do a compresion test. if its even and all cylinders are over 110...run it as is. are teh plugs new or old? if compresion is good, post photos of teh plugs.
you can measure stroke with a chop stick thru teh plug hole. place piston at top of stroke, measure. place piston at bottom, measure. 66mm or 71mm?
number on case is meaningless. pop teh valve cover. whats teh number on the heads under teh rockers?
EdwardBlume
Take lots of pictures, label everything, put things in baggies!
recko911
What plugs are you talking about.... I can take some pictures.... Do you numbers on the side of the engine case mean anything?
Chris Hamilton
That's a 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 bus based on the 4-bolts per intake manifold.
recko911
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Mar 26 2010, 10:33 PM) *

That's a 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 bus based on the 4-bolts per intake manifold.

Doesn't the 914 1.7, 1.8 engine have the same 4 bolt per intake manifold as well?
McMark
Certainly looks like a GA case though. Plus the 1.7 had the serial number near the flywheel. But that's why I called it a Who-Knows motor. It's been 'rebuilt' (I use that term loosely) and who can say what was used without talking to the builder.
Dave_Darling
With the altered serial number and the "X" on the end, I'd guess it was a "factory rebuilt" engine of some stripe. The heat exchangers are 1.7 or 74 1.8, and the heads are not 2.0 heads. Don't believe it's a 2.0 motor; the heads are one of the most expensive differences and it definitely doesn't have those.

No real idea on what it's "worth"; some 1.7 cores are "get it out of here" cheap, but that has exchangers and tin and carbs. So it might be a reasonable deal at $600... But it's not a "2.0" motor.

--DD
McMark
See, I think it's probably a 2.0 because

IF it did start out life as a GA case 2.0 motor and...
IF the bottom end wasn't modified ....

then only 94mm or larger pistons will work.

Just had a thought, check the part number on the heads. For example, this 2.0 head is PN: 039.101.371A
r_towle
I vote that you check nothing (I agree with Eric)
Clean it up, new oil, points and plugs.
Stuff it in the car and run it till it dies....

Rich
recko911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2010, 09:07 AM) *

I vote that you check nothing (I agree with Eric)
Clean it up, new oil, points and plugs.
Stuff it in the car and run it till it dies....

Rich

That sounds like a great idea... i'm going to clean it up nice.. paint it.. put it in and see how it runs.... In the mean time i will rebuilt my current engine from the scratch up... I may check the compression
Eric_Shea
I may check the compression

May? That's "derpy-der" simple and it would be a must before I threw it back in my car. That would be my whole determining factor. If it has good compression, chances are it will be a good air pump.
recko911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2010, 04:56 PM) *

I may check the compression

May? That's "derpy-der" simple and it would be a must before I threw it back in my car. That would be my whole determining factor. If it has good compression, chances are it will be a good air pump.

I will check compression... you guys think those are good carbs.... their 44 IDF.. are they too big for a 1.7 or 1.8???
Elliot Cannon
Remove that picture of your serial number and don't ever post it on a public forum again. Trust me on this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.