Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corroded Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
I purchased some used fuel lines for my EFI conversion and they have a lot of corrosion on the metal connections. Is there a simple way to get this off and make them shiny?
I do not want to go to the expense of bead blasting, and a wire wheel does not do the job, what about phosphoric or muradic acid? Any suggestions? confused24.gif
BMXerror
Not speaking from experience here, but acetone? confused24.gif WD-40 may work too, but you'd definitely want to clean THAT off with alcohol or acetone.
Mark D.
Porcharu
Diluted muriatic acid in a big plastic bucket. This is pool acid and should be easy to find. Read ALL about the safety of this before you proceed. Those lines will look like new if done correctly.
bobhasissues
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 25 2010, 09:08 PM) *

they have a lot of corrosion on the metal connections

Re-using them sounds risky to me.
tat2dphreak
Re-using them sounds risky to me.

agree.gif

there's a bolt-in easy solution from CFR(Racer Chris Foley) or you can make your own cheaply with racing stainless steel or aluminum from Summit, using the guide on here(which is what I did, before Chris offered his bolt-in solution)
ellisor3
As a follow up. I did use Muratic acid to clean the connections and it cleaned the hell out of them. They came out as good as new. The metal is is great shape, it just simply had 20 years of corrosion on top of them, kind of like patina. I inspected all the lines and all but one is in great shape. Wish I had done before and after pics.

The only downside to using Muratic acid is that it takes once clean you need to put a sealer back on the parts or they will begin rusting again.

Thanks for the suggestions and cautions.

aktion035.gif
Katmanken
You realize the acid removed whatever rust protection was on them......... blink.gif

Knowing the speed at which Florida Cancer spreads, you better put a protective coating on them...
ellisor3
Hear is a little follow up on my Muratic acid for cleaning of parts. The cleaning worked great, BUT I ran a fan for ventilation while I was using the acid on my workbench because the funes are not good. The fan blew the fumes across my work bench to an open window, I looked today and every tool hanging on the wall is rusted. chair.gif

The acid never touched the tools but the fumes alone were enough to rust my tools. Would not have thought of that. If you use this method, take it outside. I will take off the protective coating on anything it touches, tools, bolts ect.
McMark
Yup. I had steel rust that was sitting on top of a sealed plastic tub of acid. Anyone wonder why he have hell holes? happy11.gif
Jeffs9146
Beleve it or not I just cleaned a set yesterday that were severly coated with the "patina"! I used gasoline and steal wool and they look new again!

Just an FYI!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.