Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New-VW Aero (Jelly Bean) car for $600 bucks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hey Guys, idea.gif

Volkswagen just announced at the VW stockholders meeting as the most economical car in the world. China will build it for VW and will cost $600 US (4000 yuan). The single seater aero car is no toy and is ready to be released in China next year. It totes VW Volkswagen branding.
G
The aero design proved essential to getting the desired result. The body is 3.47 meters long and just 1.25 meters wide and a little over a meter high. The prototype was made completely of carbon fiber and is not painted to save weight. The power is a one cylinder diesel positioned ahead of the rear axle and combined with an automatic shift controlled by a know in the interioir.

Specs.,
Will be selling for 4000 yuan, equivalent to US$600

Gas tank capacity=1.7 gallons

Speed= 62 74.6 Miles/hr

Fuel efficiency= 258 miles/gallon

Travel distance with a full tank= 404 miles

Tom, I want one!!!
JeffBowlsby
WOW! I wish that could happen here.
biosurfer1
well I would be scared to drive it on the freeway but only spending $5 to fill up would be nice!
r_towle
Do you have a link to an official press release?
This keeps popping up on the Internet and the pics are from 2002 or that timeframe when they introduced the car.

Rich
PeeGreen 914
This would be awesome. w00t.gif piratenanner.gif
sww914
Mid-engined. Does it have two trunks? smile.gif
bcaschera
they should double the size of the engine and build a car that gets 126MPG and wont explode on impact.
Elliot Cannon
The oil compaies will see that something like this never happens.
Jake Raby
That thing is dying for some HP, mods and a trip to Bonneville!
Porcharu
Imagine if that van rear ends it. I give odds to the van driver.
Elliot Cannon
Maybe a little JATO bottle in the back? lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
$600? Is that before government or after government?
zymurgist
Would it be classified as a car or as a motorcycle for licensing, insurance, etc. purposes?

Oh, it doesn't matter. I got my "M" endorsement this week! w00t.gif
bandjoey
NARVW biggrin.gif
mid engine and Chinese
lotus_65
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 26 2010, 12:01 AM) *

...and so goes what i refer to as america's unholy alliance (or one of them, at least):
the troika to american ruin - the federal government, big oil and the auto companies.
all bent on squeezing every nickle out of the pockets of americans that it can conspire to get.

thefleur
jmill
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Mar 26 2010, 05:03 AM) *

Would it be classified as a car or as a motorcycle for licensing, insurance, etc. purposes?

It would be classed as a car because it has 4 wheels. If they made a 3 wheel version it could skirt around all the crash impact laws. I also wish this could happen here. There are all kinds of cars out there that would benefit us. Unfortunately, getting hit by a soccer mom in a Surburban would kill you in all of them.

My favorite of the bunch is the Suzuki Cappuncino.
patssle
Mmm, Chinese made car. Lets see those crash tests!
Demick
By the time they get finished productizing that for America, it will be at least twice as big in every dimenison, fit 4 people, weigh 3000 lbs, get 40mpg, and cost $30K.
ME733
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 26 2010, 02:17 AM) *

Imagine if that van rear ends it. I give odds to the van driver.

.........driver is probably the chinese test driver....NOTE he,s the ONLY ONE without headlights on ---in the mist.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 25 2010, 11:01 PM) *

agree.gif

Much like all the 75mpg diesel cars most of Europe has been using for decades, the US will never see something like that over here.
johannes
This is an hoax. This (old) prototype from VW will never be built for 600$...

More here

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/09/vol...-on-trikes.html

Reminds me the VW Scooter from 1986 ...

http://www.carstyling.ru/en/cars.1986_Volk...en_Scooter.html
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Demick @ Mar 26 2010, 07:24 AM) *

By the time they get finished productizing that for America, it will be at least twice as big in every dimenison, fit 4 people, weigh 3000 lbs, get 40mpg, and cost $30K.

agree.gif Darn right. Don't forget the goverment pound of flesh going in and out...
johannes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LVcfl4SJ-o
Katmanken
Here's a spy shot of the new convertible version undergoing testing in an urban environment .......

Note that the new U.S. Vehicle EPA regulations have mandated the "skyhook" power supply mast.....
ahdoman
OK, I can't believe nobody has pointed this out yet but; is it just me or does it look like a coffin on wheels?
racerbvd
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 26 2010, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Demick @ Mar 26 2010, 07:24 AM) *

agree.gif Darn right. Don't forget the goverment pound of flesh going in and out...

And cup holders, it would have to have cup holders beer.gif

Put a Bussa engine in it would be fun driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.