Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: it's almost over
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Queenie
At least, I'm pretty sure it is.

My car won't pass smog.

It appears to have a blown head gasket.

Not to mention it still needs a shitload of engine work that I really don't feel like paying for or dealing with.

I have not made a final decision, but I've already started looking for a bug. I'm about 98% sure that cutting my losses and getting out now is the right thing to do. I can't afford to keep fixing the 914. As much as I love driving it, it's killing me to try to keep it on the road.

*sigh*

I so wanted this car to be a good thing.
Bleyseng
Blown head gasket! Who puts those stupid things back in. VW/Porsche had a tech note in the 70's not to install 'em even though they still include them in the gasket sets. Metal to metal is a better seal.

Sorry you are at the end of the rope, maybe someone in SoCal can help?

Geoff
SLITS
Don't give up totally - what engine size? What year? Maybe we can help.

AND, from experience, bugs aren't all that reliable either.
Queenie
Geoff - if someone in SoCal wants to help me total the car so I can cash out my insurance, then yeah - that'd be great.

blink.gif

Oh, you meant like with parts and stuff, huh?

Slits - it's a '76 2.0. And I've been driving air coolers for 15+ years - I know more than enough about bugs to make the decision whether to buy another one or not. They're perfectly reliable as long as they're well maintained, and unlike the 914 they don't need a couple of fucking grand in repairs every goddamn year.

Do I sound irritated?

Good. Because I am.

mad.gif

I can't keep pumping money into this car. It's just not an option for me at this point.
SLITS
Hey - was gonna offer up a head if ya needed it to pass, but if you're a Type 1 person - go for it.
Bleyseng
the only money I keep pumping into my 76 is for the mods I keep doing.
Car runs great with about 15k on the rebuilt motor and less than 1k on the tranny I fixed last summer.
When you can't do it yourself and have to trust a mechanic to do the work that makes it hard but that is the price of owning any car. I still have several friends who come over to repair their cars in my garage cuz they get burnt everytime they got to a mechanic. They use my tools but then take me out to dinner after. I have to answer questions sometimes too.

I remember you had a friend who fixed your engine last year too. Popping the heads off and fixing a leaky head isn't too hard. Is it running really rich?

Geoff
lapuwali
It pretty much has to be a '76, as no earlier 914 has to be smogged in California.

Bugs may or may not be more reliable, but engine rebuilds are lots cheaper. From what I've seen, however, a decent Bug costs more than a 914 in the same condition. And don't even think about getting a Ghia for much less than 2x what a similar condition 914 would run.
Queenie
I'm not a "Type 1 person" - I'm a person who is trying to get out of debt and can't afford to keep driving a car that needs as much expensive work as this car has needed.

Even if it passed smog, it would still need a top end rebuild - and who knows what else? It's a mess. It runs (pretty damn well, actually) and I can drive it but it's pretty much all fucked up and it needs a major overhaul. Passing smog is the least of my worries, really.

I'm just really frustrated - don't take my ranting personally.
Queenie
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Mar 29 2004, 05:36 PM)
From what I've seen, however, a decent Bug costs more than a 914 in the same condition.

That's exactly why I ended up with a 914 in the first place. I figured for the money, I might as well get back into a sports car.

And I do love a lot of things about the 914. If I could find a way to get the engine into good shape for a price that I could afford, I'd probably keep it even though it makes more sense to get something that uses cheaper parts - just like you said, the cost of maintenance is much, much less for a bug engine.

Gah.
Queenie
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 29 2004, 05:34 PM)

I remember you had a friend who fixed your engine last year too. Popping the heads off and fixing a leaky head isn't too hard. Is it running really rich?

Yeah, it's running very rich. Doesn't popping the heads off involve pulling the engine? I don't have a garage, and I don't have access to one. Yes, Pancho (the ex) can do the work, but he has a more than full time job right now and I can't just ask him to pull my engine on his day off - if and when he gets one - especially when we don't have a good space in which to do it.

I've already got new pistons and cylinders sitting here; I knew this was coming. I've known for a long time that the heads need work and that it was just a matter of time until it would get to the point of no return. But now that I'm there, I just don't know if it's worth it to do the work. Because I know that as soon as it's done, I'll get a few months of quiet and then something else will need attention - that's the nature of driving a vintage sports car, and I knew that when I bought it. I thought I could pull it off, but at this point I just don't know if I even want to keep trying.

I really, really, really, really need to get out of debt and spending thousands of dollars on my car is not going to help me do that.

I don't know what to do, but my instinct tells me to get out.
Bleyseng
Still djet? Does the MPS hold a vacuum? This could be the problem ....
I could donate a good used MPS for your car to help out. I do rebuild them in my spare time which I have none, but Monique is out of town sooo....
Geoff
lapuwali
IMHO, it sounds like you need to bite the bullet and get out of old cars period. Driving ANY 30+ year old car is going to cost money to keep up, particularly if you can't do the work yourself. A Toyota will tolerate going 100K miles with little more than oil changes, but a Bug won't any more than a 914 would. In my experience, people who manage to run old cars as daily drivers either spend a fortune on mechanics bills or they have a well-equipped garage and know how to do most of the work themselves (i.e., they spend the fortune on a house and tools). My newest car is 33 years old, and I can do the bulk of what it will need myself, and can afford to pay someone else to do the rest.
Queenie
Yeah, still djet.

MPS? What is this?

I know I should know, but I'm trying to study for a history test that I have tonight and my brain isn't coming up with anything that doesn't directly relate to the drafting of the constitution.

It's not doing super great as far as the vacuum goes. It's functional as far as running, but it obviously needs something because it won't pass smog.
Bleyseng
No, I disagree that these are money pits. They are soo simple just like a bug that once you fix them they run and run. Its just if you get one that has been f'd by a PO then you are forever chasing down stuff they wrecked. There are sooo few parts in a 914 compared to a newer car, that is the beauty of them, smart German engineering built to last and run cheaply. European cars in the 60's and 70's had too! Even now with the price of gas in Europe a car is expensive !! I was just there in Holland and Germany and not too many people can afford to have a car unless its very small and is cheap to own and run. Gas is $4.50 a gallon.
Find a take out motor then that is known good and install it. That is the cheapest fix if the motor needs to be rebuilt.

Geoff
Bleyseng
Mps
Queenie
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Mar 29 2004, 06:06 PM)
IMHO, it sounds like you need to bite the bullet and get out of old cars period.

I would rather not drive a car at all than drive a Toyota. Buying a car like that is not, and never will be, an option for me.

I have plenty of experience driving old German cars and I'm willing to deal with what they need. I can easily afford to maintain a VW, but I'm pushing my luck with a Porsche. The smart thing to do is drive a VW until I get out of school and then find myself another 356.

I have someone to help me with the routine maintenance and I have a shop I trust to take care of everything else.

All cars cost money to run. I'd rather drive one that I love.
Queenie
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 29 2004, 06:11 PM)

Find a take out motor then that is known good and install it. That is the cheapest fix if the motor needs to be rebuilt.

Pancho and I have discussed that as an option, but I can't do that unless I can get it to pass smog this one last time - at least, I don't think I can. I don't see how I could, unless I non-op it until next year.

But that doesn't leave me with anything to get back and forth to school in in the meantime, and that's a big problem.

I think the 914 is a great platform, and I agree with you that they don't have to be money pits. I just think I'm not in the best position to own one right now.
lapuwali
Don't count on it being "this one last time". There's a bill winding through the Assembly now that would kill the 30 year rolling exemption and fix it at 1975 as the last year. Your '76 would have to be smogged forever.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Queenie @ Mar 29 2004, 05:43 PM)
If I could find a way to get the engine into good shape for a price that I could afford, I'd probably keep it even though it makes more sense to get something that uses cheaper parts - just like you said, the cost of maintenance is much, much less for a bug engine.

ok, then let's start there ...

what can you afford? realisticly?

exactly where in SoCal are you? how far to the bay area?

cheer up, i'm sure we can work something out!
that's what you have us (the club) for ...
driving-girl.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Queenie @ Mar 29 2004, 05:53 PM)
I've already got new pistons and cylinders sitting here; I knew this was coming. I've known for a long time that the heads need work and that it was just a matter of time until it would get to the point of no return.

even better!
hmmm, if you could get the car up here, i could talk brad into going through the topend of yer engine ...

wink.gif Andy
drew365
Qeenie, Don't take my comments as not caring, but there is no answer to your problem, short of riding a bike, that won't require a monetary commitment. Repairing and maintaining the 914 will take money. Buying and maintaining another old car will take money. Deferred maintenance will always come back to bite you, and you saw it coming. I think to successfully drive any 30 year old car you have to subscribe to preventive maintenance. Fix it before it breaks. I think getting a used engine for the 914 will buy you some time and probably be the cheapest alternative at this point. Sorry I'm not more positive.
markb
Queenie, bring the thing down to the shop in Santa Maria. We have loaner cars & you're more than welcome to one of them. Hell, I'll even let you use one of my personal vehicles if you want. Can you tell I've got too damn many cars? We can put the new parts in, get it to pass smog (the shop right next to us does smog, so we can pre-check without charge) and let you pay what you can when you can. John & I both are suckers for 914 owners, and we'll do right by you. I've got a boxes and boxes of used parts I've been stashing for the Dad's Car rebuild, and have so many duplicates you won't believe. Don't give up on it quite yet, you haven't exhausted all your resources. I know they're a love/hate relationship kinda car, but when they run right, there's just nothing better. Give us a try.
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 29 2004, 08:41 PM)
Give us a try.

smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif
GWN7
Mark, that's the best offer I have heard all day smilie_pokal.gif

Queenie, all cars will give you grief. I just spent $500 on the stepson's car. (Chev) Best was a air valve motor about the size of a quarter and 1/2 a roll of quarters long. $126 Dam thing won't run worth shit without it.

Call Mark and get some stress relief.

beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 29 2004, 08:41 PM)
John & I both are suckers for 914 owners, and we'll do right by you.... Give us a try.

markb is too cool aktion035.gif cool.gif
sanglee007
QUOTE(Queenie @ Mar 29 2004, 05:26 PM)
Do I sound irritated?

No. You sound like someone who has to smog their 76...like me. smile.gif

Sang
Queenie
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 29 2004, 08:12 PM)

what can you afford? realisticly?

I can afford a bug.

I don't live in Southern California, by the way. I live in San Luis Obispo, not Los Angeles.

I can't afford to drive a Porsche right now. That's the bottom line.
rick 918-S
Way to step up Markb! smilie_pokal.gif Listen, we know a business can't always do things like that. But we have less than a hand full of the fairer sex on the board. It's the manly thing to do clap56.gif You go Queenie! driving-girl.gif
Queenie
Mark is a prince among men, but I already knew that.

If you really want to look at it and give me an estimate, I'll bring it in. But I just don't think it's at all realistic for me to keep this car. I'm not down on 914s, I'm down on this car - I bought a bad year, and that's my tough luck to deal with now. I don't think it's going to smog without a major overhaul, and I just can't ask you & John to take that on as a charity case. I can pay, it just means going further into debt. And I don't think that this is the right car for me to be going into debt over. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. All I know is that I'm tired, and contemplating another couple grand in engine work makes me want to cry.

Drew - I know that all cars require maintenance and that maintenance takes money. And I am willing to make a commitment to that in order to drive the kind of cars that I love. It's not that I'm not willing to step up to the plate; the problem is that this car is not the right car for me to step up to the plate for. I've spent as much on repairs in two years as it cost me to buy the damn thing. At other times in my life that was ok, but right now it's not. I have to scale back, and driving a VW instead of a Porsche is the sensible thing to do. Trying to make this one be the one is probably not going to work. It needs more than I can give it, and it should belong to someone who can do right by it. They should be preserved, not driven into the ground.

I don't know, you guys. I just don't know.

But I really appreciate the support and the feedback.
Queenie
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Mar 29 2004, 08:09 PM)
Don't count on it being "this one last time". There's a bill winding through the Assembly now that would kill the 30 year rolling exemption and fix it at 1975 as the last year. Your '76 would have to be smogged forever.

That's just horrible.

And one more good reason to buy a nice little '65 bug.

wink.gif
markb
I'll talk to John in the morning and see what we can do. I'm sure he's got your phone #, but if you don't think he does, pm me with it. I didn't get to look very closely at your car when you had it in last time, so John will know more about the condition & what he thinks might be the problem. I'd hate to see you have to lose the car, but what's meant to be is what will be. Maybe we can help you find a bug if you want.
bernbomb914
If you can afford a Bug just put a bug engine in your car untell you can fix the old one. that is cheaper than buying a Bug and you still can enjoy the driver.

Bernie
Rusty
That's just horrible.

Relax. The bill gets sponsored every year. Ever year it gets defeated. California car people just can't be lazy... write your state representative every time it comes up.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Hawktel
Queenie, I don't have a damned thing I can do for your situation, so this post is just moral support.

huh.gif
tat2dphreak
I don't know if this helps, I don't know Cali at all...

but in TX a friend of mine's brother just had a similar problem with a car that didn't pass inspection, since he's a college student(broke as hell) the state actually paid to have the car fixed to pass emissions. there are little emissions shops that the state foots the bill, so that the car passes emissions inspection for people who can't afford the emissions on the cars they drive(and can't afford to get rid of)!

I don't know if Ca. has something similar, but it's worth looking into..

keep your chin up! beer.gif
shoguneagle
Queenie, let the boys and the board go to work for you. I believe they can eliminate your "bad luck car" problems and make it dependable. Give them a chance, you can always buy a "bug" . I know about only car situations where you depend on and need reliable transportation. I think the boys can make your car and you a winner.

I wish I could send a dependable engine to you but I think your best chance is finding out about the one you have.

We pulling for you and your 914, gal.

Steve Hurt
reverie
You might talk with a financial-aid counselor at your school. The financial aid office can increase your "budget" (cost of attendance) to cover car repairs up to a certain amount... and until the loan or grant money comes in, the school may give you a short-term emergency loan to pay for the repairs.

The amount that your budget can be increased for car repairs actually varies from school to school,
so you'll have to ask your school.

Good luck on the exam! smile.gif
jones
What great offers and suggestions from you guys! Queenie keep the faith and nose to the grind-stone.
Queenie
I don't get financial aid. I pay for school myself. It's a junior college - even if I were in the financial aid system, I don't think they'd give me two thousand bucks to fix my car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Queenie @ Mar 31 2004, 12:23 PM)
I don't get financial aid. I pay for school myself. It's a junior college - even if I were in the financial aid system, I don't think they'd give me two thousand bucks to fix my car.

you already got the pistons and cylinders.
you said earlier the car runs great, except you have a blown head gasket.

so, what you need for a minimum is someone to drop the engine,
take the heads off, and put the heads back on WITHOUT the crappy gaskets.

now i might be jaded with all these 914 guys around here,
but i can't see any reason why that would have to cost you $2k.

even if you have that someone put in the new pistons and cylinders at the same time, i still don't see a $2k bill ...

confused24.gif Andy
SirAndy
this might be a stupid question, but, how are you planning on paying for a 65ish beetle that runs and is otherwise in a daily driver condition?

if you sell your '76 914 that doesn't pass smog because you have a blown head gasket, you won't be getting enough $$$ to buy a decent bug.

just my $0.02 cents. i'd hate to see you leaving the 914 world behind you.
sad.gif Andy
Queenie
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2004, 12:37 PM)
this might be a stupid question, but, how are you planning on paying for a 65ish beetle that runs and is otherwise in a daily driver condition?

if you sell your '76 914 that doesn't pass smog because you have a blown head gasket, you won't be getting enough $$$ to buy a decent bug.

just my $0.02 cents. i'd hate to see you leaving the 914 world behind you.
sad.gif Andy

It doesn't matter, Andy. The point is that I cannot afford to maintain a Porsche right now. Yes, it's going to cost me money to buy another car and I won't get enough from selling th 914 to cover that cost. That's life. It has to be done. I have to move forward.
Kevin@ojai.net
For some reason I think Captn' Crusty will re-install the gaskets, its just his style...

-Kevin
Queenie
QUOTE(Kevin@ojai.net @ Apr 12 2004, 11:47 AM)
For some reason I think Captn' Crusty will re-install the gaskets, its just his style...

-Kevin

The car needs valve guides and who knows what else?

I'm not pulling the engine. I'm not fixing it. I'm selling it.

End of story.
Joe Bob
Sorry to hear about the smog issue and the repair bill....

How much?

I have another engine and I'm always on the lookout for another ride....
markb
I'd be interested too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.