Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Seat Belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dank
Quoting from this post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...;showentry=2077

"Early cars had the bolt holes for a center third seat belt and shipped with large black plastic screw in plugs."

Does anyone know what year they stopped putting the bolt holes in? Anyone actually have the the third belt in?
Steve
i bought a kit from Auto Atlanta years ago. I think it was a lap belt from a 944. It came in handy in case one of my kids wanted to ride in the middle.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dank @ Mar 25 2010, 10:07 PM) *

Quoting from this post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...;showentry=2077

"Early cars had the bolt holes for a center third seat belt and shipped with large black plastic screw in plugs."

Does anyone know what year they stopped putting the bolt holes in? Anyone actually have the the third belt in?

'72, i believe.

I've seen the belt, but i don't have one. It's just a short lap-belt.
bye1.gif Andy
dank
Steve, did your AA kit not use the bolt holes? Assuming you're talking about your '75 of course
Steve
No, it used the existing seat belt holes. Its been awhile but I think the kit came with longer bolts to support both the passenger side and the drivers side belts with the lap belt in the same holes. It was on my 75 when I sold it, but when I bought it back it was all ripped out in favor of racing belts for the track. I am curious if AA still sells the kit. I would like to put one back in. Its better than nothing when putting someone in the middle.
dank
Dang, doesn't look like AA carries it anymore.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dank @ Mar 25 2010, 10:56 PM) *

welcome.png

I saw an NOS one on either evil-bay or TheSamba awhile back, maybe a watch will net you one sometime? confused24.gif

You might also try emailing GPR to see if they still have the stash of used early seatbelts, as they may have a set of the middle one in there?
http://www.gprparts.com/shop/index.php

Back in the day before I was married & seatbelts were required (and Fred Flintstone "ran" his car around), I'd have my girlfriends sit on the middle seat, and grab their thigh if they needed held back! biggrin.gif
... ahhhh, the memories of 1st, 3rd & 5th gear! driving.gif biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
I don't know anyone whos ass is narrow enough to sit there. bootyshake.gif
dank
Thanks Tom for the lead. I don't actually have my 914 yet (next month!) but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

So to summarize: even if GPR has it, I need to make a distinction to make sure it's one that bolts on with the existing seat belts (since I have a '73), as opposed to one that bolts directly into the bottom of the frame.
tradisrad
I've got a 70 and the plugged holes, but no belt. I remember my first 71 had a belt. Too bad that I did not keep the belt when the car went away.
I recently asked Rich at HPH and he discouraged me from putting one in. I am not sure why as he stood to make some $$$.
bradtho
my '72 has the center belt.
Steve
QUOTE(dank @ Mar 25 2010, 10:56 PM) *

Did you call them? Just curious.
Scott S
I had a very very hard time locating two sets of them. I needed the buckle hardware (the bayonett/male end) to build a set of GT "Repa" harnesses. Took me almost a year to find two decent ones. End result was worth it though.
McMark
No, it used the existing seat belt holes. Its been awhile but I think the kit came with longer bolts to support both the passenger side and the drivers side belts with the lap belt in the same holes.

Technically, this is not quite the same thing. The early cars have a secondary set of seat belt mounting threads in the floor pan. All cars have the location stamping, but only the early cars had the threaded boss and support welded in. You can see the black plug in this picture.
SirAndy
Some more info here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56634

popcorn[1].gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.