Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Looking for a bus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
My son and his wife (both graduate students at Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo) have decided to look for a decent pre-1975 VW Bus. Their goal is to rebuild it inside and out, and use it to drive cross country.

So he's looking for a rust-free bus in decent shape. I can help him with engine, transmission, suspension and electrical work. And his father-in-law can help him rebuild the passenger area.

So if anybody knows of such a vehicle available for a modest sum in central California, please let me know.

My thanks.

Eric Read
ClayPerrine
If you are looking for a bus... just get a bus schedule and wait at a bus stop. poke.gif

Randal

Go to: http://www.zimkiv.com/

Type in: VW Bus

Select: Cars and Trucks

Select: So Cal

Lots of stuff to look at.
McMark
TheSamba.com
Cap'n Krusty
Rust free busses are nearly impossible to find, even here in CA. Since we're near the beach here in the SB/SLO area, they're even more difficult to find. Busses tend to be beat to death anyway. If it were my choice, I'd look for a nice 1.9 waterboxer Vanagon. They're cheap, they're really reliable once they've been gone through, and they drive like a car. Better seating, suspension from the '80s instead of the '30s, they are FAR easier to drive in the wind, and they're quiet.

That having been said, I would be more than happy to evaluate anything they find.

The Cap'n

Oh, BTW, there's an all VW boneyard in Nipomo. It's at the end of Sheridan Road, south of Highway 1. The owner, Randy, has a phone, but I don't know why, he never answers it .....................
ConeDodger
I was going to suggest the Cap'n but it seems he has suggested himself... I agree completely with what he said too... Lots of crap VW buses around... er, wait, not a lot - but mostly crap or muy expensivo!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 26 2010, 12:50 PM) *

I was going to suggest the Cap'n but it seems he has suggested himself... I agree completely with what he said too... Lots of crap VW buses around... er, wait, not a lot - but mostly crap or muy expensivo!

My Dad and I are available in SoCal if you find anything. He's quite familiar with Buses.

I seem to remember I sold 2 engines about a year ago to a guy that 'flips' buses, let me see if I can find his email.
Tom_T
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 26 2010, 12:02 PM) *

TheSamba.com

agree.gif with McMark!

Also check with GoWesty in Los Osos up by them in SLO.

BTW - in addition to the 50's, 60's & 70's Buses - the early Vanagons were also aircooled for the first 4 years or so.

I also just saw one on a dealer lot on Beach Bl. between the 22 & Talbert on our way to pick up our 88 Westy at Hans Imports in HB. You could also call Hans Imports 714-960-9000 & ask for Hans or Carl (say Tom Trischler recco'd) to see if any of their customers have one to sell.

If his shop worked on it, then he'll know if it's in good shape etc., & he'll still work on the older VWs etc. for his old customers, & may do so for a customer car sold to another (he's not taking on any new 914s etc.). Hans had checked out a slew of 914s back in 1975 & gave his blessing to the one I got in 12/75 & still have, & I've been going to him for all of our cars ever since - even after I moved from HB to Orange in 85! biggrin.gif

IMHO - they'd be best for their planned travels to get a Westfalia & resto that up - to best fit their XC touring desires. biggrin.gif We got our 88 Westy new & did a bunch of XC trips with our kids when young - up to about 2002 in it (both are grown now too), so most of the 200,000+ on it are XC, since my wife's use as her DD is only 2 mi to St. Jo Hosp. & local.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 26 2010, 12:44 PM) *

Rust free busses are nearly impossible to find, even here in CA. Since we're near the beach here in the SB/SLO area, they're even more difficult to find. Busses tend to be beat to death anyway. If it were my choice, I'd look for a nice 1.9 waterboxer Vanagon. They're cheap, they're really reliable once they've been gone through, and they drive like a car. Better seating, suspension from the '80s instead of the '30s, they are FAR easier to drive in the wind, and they're quiet.

That having been said, I would be more than happy to evaluate anything they find.

The Cap'n

Oh, BTW, there's an all VW boneyard in Nipomo. It's at the end of Sheridan Road, south of Highway 1. The owner, Randy, has a phone, but I don't know why, he never answers it .....................

IMHO - the later 88-91 2.1L is better - esp the Westy's! biggrin.gif

Of course be the original & only owner of our 88 - I'm prejudiced! biggrin.gif

GoWesty offers a series of up-built waterboxers up to 2.5L & 145 hp which are warranteed for 48/48 that the wife is pushing me hard for in "her car" - after seeing me pour cash into "my 914"! dry.gif

I told her we look at them whenever the Van needs a new engine, since we just did a top end in `07 +/- 10-15,000 miles ago. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.