Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Shift Rod Bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I'm replacing the 2 rear bushings in my attempts to fix my shifting problems (4th gear goes into 2nd). I bought the bushings from Pelican Parts for my '76 side shifter.

When I slip the shift rod bushing over the rod, the rod is pretty loose. It's about 1/16ths smaller than the bushing.

Any thoughts to why it's so loose?
Tom
Shift rod worn down. Found the same thing on my 76. I have a small lathe, so I made some that better fit the rod and the console where the bushing goes. Shifting greatly improved. I did get some pics posted in a thread about 4 years ago. Try the search function for shift and bushings.
Tom
patssle
Funny. I was reading your very thread as you replied.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=72473&hl=

I also read Rick's "make your own bronze bushing" thread. Any suggestions to places I can get something like what he used? Or are they pretty available any hardware store?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=bushing
Tom
I didn't even try the hardware store, but I think they would have bushings or something. I made mine out of trash pieces from work. I decided to go with the delrin because it is much softer than bronze. If plastic wears the shift rod, what would metal do to it?
Tom
914Sixer
GPR has the bronze bushing for under $20.
Krieger
Patrick Motorsport has the one to buy. It is a very tight fight and has no slop. My shifting is very good now. I had bought a polybronze before I can't remember where but it was junk. PMS was about $35. you need to open up the hole in the tranny a little bit with a file. The shift rod was hard to install, but oh it shifts so nice I'd do it again.
ellisor3
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 26 2010, 08:22 PM) *

I'm replacing the 2 rear bushings in my attempts to fix my shifting problems (4th gear goes into 2nd). I bought the bushings from Pelican Parts for my '76 side shifter.

When I slip the shift rod bushing over the rod, the rod is pretty loose. It's about 1/16ths smaller than the bushing.

Any thoughts to why it's so loose?

You might also consider replacing all of the bushings, not just the back ones. There is one in the firewall and the ones in the universal joint. I had problem shifting as well, a tiny bit of slop in the front can add up as you get to the back.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Mar 27 2010, 07:11 AM) *

you need to open up the hole in the tranny a little bit with a file

The brass one from GPR fits perfectly with no alterations to the transmission.
hwgunner
I make the brass one (it's actually Oilite). Sold Hundreds. Call me at 800-321-5432 and I can get one out on Monday. Normally $18.95, club discount brings it to $16.95 and $485 shipping in US.

jonathan
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Mar 27 2010, 08:59 AM) *

I make the brass one (it's actually Oilite). Sold Hundreds. Call me at 800-321-5432 and I can get one out on Monday. Normally $18.95, club discount brings it to $16.95 and $485 shipping in US.

jonathan

At $485 shipping, one would think you'd cover any losses from the discount .................

The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Mar 27 2010, 08:59 AM) *

jonathan

Decimal point. Ring finger, right hand, Lowest row of keys. type.gif lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
I have the GPR brass one (it's actually oilite) lol-2.gif on my car. Works fine, lasts a long time.
markb
Yes, that's supposed to be $4.85 shipping. biggrin.gif Call us, we've got what you need.

Mark, posting from Vegas & still shilling parts. smile.gif You payin' attention there, Bossman? av-943.gif
john rogers
The brass bushing work very well as long as the small bellows cover is there to keep the oil and grit out otherwise the parts will wear pretty badly. A trick we used on mine and other race cars is to get several of the very small nylon wire ties and put several through the ID of the bushing in the same direction the shift rod goes. Loop them and tighten them so they are snug and then snip off the ends. The nylon wire ties will act as a natural slippery surface that will not cause any abrasion to the shift rod.

I usually replaced all the bushings every winter as part of down time maintenance and put in new ones. You can slide a couple of the very small ones through the firewall bushing but you have to tie off the ends around the forward shift rod so they do not work out.
patssle
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 27 2010, 07:17 AM) *

You might also consider replacing all of the bushings, not just the back ones. There is one in the firewall and the ones in the universal joint. I had problem shifting as well, a tiny bit of slop in the front can add up as you get to the back.

My firewall bushing is pretty solid, and is brass. Not sure about the front one, need to check it out. My "Shift lever with selector rod" has its splines rubbed down, so may need a new one of those too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.