Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: documenting my elelectric defrost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
I bought one of these to start with from HF for 8.99
underthetire
Stripped the junk off it
underthetire
Cut all the lights and switches out of it to make it a little more manageable.
underthetire
Did a little fitting, cleaned up the wires some. The goal is to get one on each side behind the speaker covers. I need to go to ace and get some PVC fittings so I can attach them to the air ducts in there. The wires will go back to the engine Cpt, and add a relay. Gonna use the defrost/heat lever to switch them on and off.
underthetire
Thats it for today. Been to ace three times for other stuff and don't feel like going a fourth.
FourBlades

That is very nice.

What is the HF thing that you started with supposed to be for?

John

Rand
Make sure you test and verify they will actually meet your needs before putting too much effort into this. Those little things don't put out enough heat and air volume to do much, and they and their wiring get hot because of the current draw.
underthetire
It was a hand held defrost unit. I tested it during our cold snap last month, and it actually defrosted pretty well. It does draw about 12 amps from what i've seen so far. Keep in mind, we really don't get snow or sub freezing temps here.
Rand
Cool. My experience with them is the wiring gets hot if you run it more than a few minutes. It sounded to me like you were putting them behind the speaker covers quite a distance from the windshield, which just made me wonder how effective they would be trying to push hot air that distance.

Not trying to be negative... Just raising the questions hoping for your success! beerchug.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 26 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Cool. My experience with them is the wiring gets hot if you run it more than a few minutes. It sounded to me like you were putting them behind the speaker covers quite a distance from the windshield, which just made me wonder how effective they would be trying to push hot air that distance.

Not trying to be negative... Just raising the questions hoping for your success! beerchug.gif

I here ya. Guess to test is in the putting. It's actually small enough I think i could get them right in the defrost duct under the windshield. idea.gif
messix
run some BIG wire to them! and 30 amp fuse or breaker.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 26 2010, 08:28 PM) *

run some BIG wire to them! and 30 amp fuse or breaker.

agree.gif

You also risk the alternator not being able to keep up with demand. Alternators don't make good current below 2000rpm. Run BIG wire and a relay to power them up directly from the battery.
Rand
I wish I could spell Eberspächer
But alas, I cannot. Perhaps Andy can correct me spellin. Ooh, do I be soundin' Irelind like eh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.