Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: subwoofers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GreatPumpkin
where should you put subs in the 914 i was thinking a small one on the passenger floor? what do you think? i dont have a center console.
MikeSpraggi
I voted 'other' as in no where. I like the sound of the engine and in good weather (East Coasters), the wind as well. I don't want to drown out the sound of that /6 driving.gif
ellisor3
This is the option I will use when I get there, you can only put in a small sub but you don't need a big one on such a small compartment. It is from 914 Appearance and Performance.

Ian Stott
I'm modifying my center console slightly to accomodate a small sub, feel I need just a bit of bass to balance out the stereo, not trying to shake the mirrors off the car stopped beside me at a light!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
iamchappy
Flame me, but i put two 8"subs in behind the seats.
Ian Stott
I bet that sounds great and doesn't look bad in the picture. I see some vehicles (cause I have teenagers) where the vehicle is basically a support system for an obnoxiously loud and shitty sounding stereo. I prefer clean and clear, and a good quality sub, which doesn't have to be huge, will add that extra punch for the bass notes without cranking the volume, it justs sounds "fuller".

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
tat2dphreak
I plan to build a hidden "deck" under the dash with 2 free air subs pointing down, completely stealth, under the dash on the passenger side. if you look under that portion of the dash, under the glove box and stereo, and imagine a flat deck going from the bottom of the dash, straight back, but slightly down, with 2 8" or a single(dual coil) 12"... best place I can see, and it would be completely hidden. one could also put the amp on this same deck, on either side smile.gif
Mike Bellis
I used to build a lot of custom fiberglass boxes. It would be easy to fit a 10 inch woofer box in place of the passenger toe board.

Make a card board template of the box. You can also cover the factory toe board in plastic wrap and use it for the bottom template. once the glass dries, pull it off the foam toe board form. Then reinforce the inside of your form before building the top. Glass is messy but very easy!

A modern 10 inch only needs about 1 cubic foot of air to sound good. My wife is 5"-2", her feeet don't even touch the toe board. I can build mine much deeper if needed. Too many other projects right now to get started...
Cevan
Don't the console-mounted subs rattle the hell out of the gauges?
McMark
I had this one built for me, but it needs some tweaking... version 2.0, so to speak.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The stealth sub when hidden under the front passenger bulkhead carpet works great and with the carpet reinstalled cannot be detected. A plate replaces the foam block and works perfectly
underthetire
center console
ghuff
The headrests.

I saw a pontiac grand am, all homied out that had them there.

Wish I had taken pictures. The guy and some other guy with a 96 nissan maxima on nitrous came to a car meet and wanted to race 500whp cars blasting their systems acting all fast and furious.
Jeffs9146
Here is where I put mine!
JRust
I have a 10" sub in a fiberglass made to replace the passenger footrest. It does stick out a little more than a stock footrest would. I did one a while back & bought this one from another member. Here is a picture of mine
johannes
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 27 2010, 08:20 AM) *

The stealth sub when hidden under the front passenger bulkhead carpet works great and with the carpet reinstalled cannot be detected. A plate replaces the foam block and works perfectly

Do you have pictures ?
messix
looky here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=subwoofer
i have one morph's early box's and it works great! i'm sure the one he's building now is a great improvement.

messix
here is moph's vendor thread. he has very good quality products and is a respected member of the 914 community.
http://www.appearanceandperformance.com/products.php
914coop
I love what Chappy did, Seen it and heard it in person, very clean and out of the way. Hope to do the same when I remove the engine next winter.
Elliot Cannon
Subwoofers should be put in your house. lol-2.gif
orange914
these where just set in and never hooked up, but tthey CAN use up the whole trunk biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
RJMII
subs go behind the back seat. =o)
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 27 2010, 08:10 AM) *

I'd love to see more pics of this installation if possible?
iamchappy
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 28 2010, 06:57 PM) *

There is plenty of room behind the seats and engine compartment, you could easily go with 10" Subs,
I went with sealed enclosure 8" Quart Subs.
The enclosures i used are Stainless steel mixing bowls. no interference with
anything even with a big turbo flat six.

I have one amp under the dash under the head unit and the other amp in the center gauge console, the head unit drives the 5 1/4 door speakers, the two amps drive the 6 1/2 kick panels and the Subs. I agree not for everyone, but my cars not for everyone either. I'm happy with the way the Turbo engine sounds and the stereo. shades.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 27 2010, 08:06 AM) *

This is the option I will use when I get there, you can only put in a small sub but you don't need a big one on such a small compartment. It is from 914 Appearance and Performance.

agree.gif

As soon as I square up on a couple other things, I'll be ordering this very kit.
montoya 73 2.0
Stainless mixing bowls!!! That is cool! Your my kind of guy. Good job Chappy!

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 28 2010, 06:29 PM) *

There is plenty of room behind the seats and engine compartment, you could easily go with 10" Subs,

I have one amp under the dash under the head unit and the other amp in the center gauge console, the head unit drives the 5 1/4 door speakers, the two amps drive the 6 1/2 kick panels and the Subs. I agree not for everyone, but my cars not for everyone either. I'm happy with the way the Turbo engine sounds and the stereo. shades.gif

kfish914
Not sure where i originally found these pictures but I have them saved in the "ideas for my car file". I like the idea of it being hidden also. Just my two cents.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
I also have a wire diagram to go with this to show different speaker set ups but I can't get it to load up.
Sleepin
Shoot a PM to Rod (at least I think it is Rod...in the UK). He has built an awesome sub enclosure for under the dash. I have it saved here somewhere......
Sleepin
IPB Image

I knew it was Rod! biggrin.gif I love this setup! I found it here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...99270&st=20
Millerwelds
Front trunk:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

With the custom cover I can put groceries on top with no worries and there is enough room around the sub box underneath to keep tools, jack, etc.
aktion035.gif
recko911

do you have other pics of your subwoofer installation

oz371
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 29 2010, 03:56 PM) *

IPB Image

I knew it was Rod! biggrin.gif I love this setup! I found it here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...99270&st=20

blink.gif Whoa!! blink.gif
pillay2k
Re: Rod's car
Have a look at the amp install in the rear trunk too, awesome!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=89113&hl=
zymurgist
I voted "other" as in, in a Honda. wink.gif
scotty b
Other...as in tow vehicle or garage. Thats where we all spend most of our time anyway stirthepot.gif
RJMII
this one can double as a jackstand...

http://www.earthquakesound.com/holees.htm
IPB Image
It's as deep/tall as it is round (diameter).
very very expensive jackstand.

•15,000 Watts MAX
•Xmax: 4" Peak to Peak
•Dual (2x1ohms) 4" x 8" High Temp military grade flat wire voice coil.
•(4)Quad Nomax / Romax spiders
•8 gauge speaker connections
•112lbs.
•Patented PSP terminal
•MSRP: $2,499.00
dflesburg
GreatPumpkin needs to post a pic of what he created. It works great! (Wonder who helps him with those projects?)

windforfun
As far away from your kidneys as possible.
bigkensteele
I think it depends on whether you want a nice sounding stereo or if your goal is to annoy everyone within 30 yards of your car in stopped traffic.

I plan on putting an 8 or 10 in the passenger foot rest.

My backup plan is eight 12s in the front and rear trunks, powered by crappy amps for as much distortion as possible. I would also loosen a few bolts here and there to make sure that the car rattles like a can full of marbles. You would be surprised how cool you appear to others when sporting such a "system"...
hot_shoe914
I voted other, as in a gay assed Miata!
AndyB
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 10 2010, 10:03 PM) *

I think it depends on whether you want a nice sounding stereo or if your goal is to annoy everyone within 30 yards of your car in stopped traffic.

I plan on putting an 8 or 10 in the passenger foot rest.

My backup plan is eight 12s in the front and rear trunks, powered by crappy amps for as much distortion as possible. I would also loosen a few bolts here and there to make sure that the car rattles like a can full of marbles. You would be surprised how cool you appear to others when sporting such a "system"...

agree.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 10 2010, 07:14 PM) *

I voted other, as in a gay assed Miata!

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
RickS
Or the el cheapo way... may look bad but sounds good.

Click to view attachment
sawtooth
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 28 2010, 06:29 PM) *

chappy that's cool and is way better than pounding your feet or knocking gauges around in the console. I may go that route too, if I can steal your idea. I've got a ButtKicker transducer that I'll be trying first. I figure if I mount in on the tunnel behind the console it should work well too, or at least keep the underside of my car real clean.
bandi
Used to have a customer with a small (but decent quality) "bass cannon" mounted upright behind the passenger seat of his 914. Seemed to sound decent. Personally I'd rather just hear the engine but to each their own!
SchwarzHorse
Thru-bolt 'em to the roof and play em for the hood or your highschool buddies
westtexass2k
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Mar 28 2010, 05:29 PM) *

I like this install subs behind the seat. I have a couple of 8" Kicker Solo Baric that Id like to install behind the seats if I can make the box big enough with the pad removed. Also very good angles for mids and tweets for good imaging. Nothing like a crisp clear sound system with a little punch to really make your ride a pleasure to spend some time in. You can always turn it down and listen to the motor if you want. Only problem with a good sound system is weight gain. It can easly add up to 60-80lbs with all those goodies.

Passenger foot well would be my second choice. But then you just get one sub so I would have to bump up to a 10" to provide the bump I prefer.

I would think the console and under the dash would cause a bunch of rattles and that drives me bonkers. It might can be pulled off. It just seems harder way to do it.
MoveQik
QUOTE(RJMII @ Mar 27 2010, 08:03 PM) *

subs go behind the back seat. =o)

Truth be told.....bass is non-directional giving you much more flexibility. smile.gif
PancakePorsche
I put a small powered sub made by Retrosound on the pass side floor. I made a perlon felt cover for it. Passengers don't seem to mind it. Sounds great.
Mikey914
I have the black and charcoal both in stock, I will be putting the black in mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.