Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rdr
Hi all,

Finally getting back to the 74 that I purchased 18 months ago. Still in the strip-down stage. I actually started to weld a bit. Typical floor pans, trunk, etc but then realized it would be better to finish the strip-down. Engine and interior already out. Rear suspension also out as of today. Now working on the front. Took the disks off. I realize that I need a pickle fork for the steering ball joint. Will pick one up tomorrow. Here are my 2 questions.

1. Without taking a BFH to the drift pin that is at the bottom of the strut above the ball joint, how else do I remove it? Really wedged in there. Do I raise the suspension a bit to take the weight off and then try to drive it out? Do they sell replacements just in case?

2. How do I get the top shock bolt off without the special tool that grabs the notched ring to prevent it from turning? Or do I just buy the tool? And from where?

Thanks as always. Pictures will follow I promise! aktion035.gif
Eric_Shea
How do I get the drift pin out?

With a drift. biggrin.gif

MAPP torch if needed, otherwise; loosen the nut a tad and begin the beating process with a BFH. Once you get it started, remove the nut and tap it out all the way. Seriously, a 3/8 drift would probably help.

Do they sell replacements just in case?

No, not just in case... they sell replacements because you're supposed to replace them. They're a one use item.

How do I get the top shock bolt off without the special tool that grabs the notched ring to prevent it from turning?

I've never needed a tool, other than a 24mm and a high speed air wrench. Wonderful thing, velocity (starting to sound like Wilford Brimley as James Wells - Absence of Malice). biggrin.gif
turnaround89
we used the biggest set of channel locks we could find to get the top shock nut off, if you don't have the air wrench, this worked really well
rdr
HA! Ok, so I wasn't that far off. I will heat it and then beat it. I have a new set of front struts / shocks so I am just getting the old set off. And, yes I have an air compressor with a glut of tools. I usually find that a quick burst with my impact wrench for lug nuts usually does the trick.

Thanks to all. I am stripping down all hardware, then welding, sanding and re-painting all, then rebuilding the 4 corners and working my way to the interior. Then engine rebuild and I'm finished! Hmmmm.... sounds too easy!
Eric_Shea
heat it and then beat it

I like that. That should be our site motto.

914World.com
"Heat it and Beat it"

lol3.gif
Elliot Cannon
Tag it "n" bag it. or

Bag em "n" tag em.

Grip it "n" rip it.

nipp it "n" tuck it.

Or as Redd foxx used to say, Fugg it "n" sugg it".

Any more?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.