Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch going out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dan10101
So its been 5 years or so since I've actually taken one out, but my ignition switch is going out (odd to, The key will turn to the ON position, and it will turn to the starter position, but there is a dead spot in between making the ON position really small, and making it almost impossible to start the car...) So I need to get it out to see if I can fix it my hand or If I need to use my spare. Anyone have a HOW TO on how to get this thing out of the steering column? I have the column dropped and for the life of me cant figure it out.

thanks all!
Andrew
Kirmizi
The electrical (switch) or the mechanical (tumbler) portion? Depending upon the year, the switch is held in place by a setscrew or small phillips head. IIRC the pre-75 cars tumblers will come out after turning the key to the "start" position".
Mike
Andyrew
Actually the whole assembly. Figured it out though... Those four tiny screws at the front let you get to it.. Now I'm sourcing the electrical portion as I do t think I have a working spare. Oh hey pelican has them for $9!
Andyrew
14.15 out the door. I'll have it on Tues.

Cheapest part order I have ever had!

(BTW, DAN10101 is my fathers account)

Thanks guys!
Andrew
Kirmizi
Good luck with the new switch from Pelican.
I had more problems with the "new" replacement switch, than with the old, cracked one. Wound up ordering an OEM from Jonathan at GPR.
Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Mar 27 2010, 05:05 PM) *

So its been 5 years or so since I've actually taken one out, but my ignition switch is going out (odd to, The key will turn to the ON position, and it will turn to the starter position, but there is a dead spot in between making the ON position really small, and making it almost impossible to start the car...) So I need to get it out to see if I can fix it my hand or If I need to use my spare. Anyone have a HOW TO on how to get this thing out of the steering column? I have the column dropped and for the life of me cant figure it out.

thanks all!
Andrew

"Tech Tips 700" has an easy procedure. Please beware of inferior ignition switches! Cheap ones have too much play and will now allow the key to turn far enough to start the car!!!!!!!!!!!
Andyrew
Hmm Odd, I guess i'll have to keep that in mind. George how much are your "Expensive" switches?

I'll let you know if I have any trouble. Pelican has always been my go to guys, the fact that its 1 day shipping to me is helpful as well or else I would buy from you guys.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.