Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable tube welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Back when I got my car, My tube was loose as (fill in the blank, in your head <_< ), So I used a couple of U clamps to clamp it down, I did not have access to a weilder back then so it seemed the right thing to do. Now, I think that the position I put it in is cutting back on the efficiency of the clutch.. So I want to move it farther to the left, and weld it there (so I can finally put my short shifter in, and work on a cable shift conversion). Currently I have the car on the ground and drivable, so therefore I have the cable inside the tube.. My question.. Is it ok if I weld the tube in the center tunnel if I still have the cable in? Or do I need to take the cable out of it?

Thanks
Andrew
Brad Roberts
Cable out.

I also stick something down inside the tube that I CANT weld too. You need to use a clamp to hold the tube against the center tunnel wall.

B
Andyrew
Alrighty. Thats what I thought.. Oh well, not that hard. Gives me an exuse to get tired and work on the fenders and body while the car us up. Maybe I'll park the car for a week, and actually get some decent work done, I just got done installing a harness bar,

BTW Does a harness bar go in with the black panels, stock piece on the targa bar, In? Because the harness I got didnt let me keep them on, I tried for all I was worth and I couldnt get it right. So I just took them off and made sure it was spaced correctly. Anyone have a comment on their harness bar (got for 40 bucks shipped, couldnt resist..) installation?

Ya, my thread.. I can change it.

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 29 2004, 08:37 PM)
Anyone have a comment on their harness bar (got for 40 bucks shipped, couldnt resist..) installation?

they suck ... icon8.gif
Andyrew
Ya, ya, I know that.

But installation..

I have the harness bar as like a pivot point.. The harness's are bolted to the firewall. I have a Y harness on the drivers side, and the way I had it, the harness was putting the strain on the seat, and not the firewall.. Ie NOT good. So I considered this as an option. This is till I can fork over the 1k to get a decent cage (give me 2 years..)

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 29 2004, 09:02 PM)
I have the harness bar as like a pivot point..

that sounds better wink.gif

the ones i have seen did fit with the padding still installed.
just bolted down with the seatbelt bolts.

however, they *will* move back/forward under heavy load.
Andy
Andyrew
The one I have seems too long.. The guy I bought it from said it fit fine on his car.. But it doesnt fit on my car? I must be doing it wrong or something.. Lets see.. I'll go take some pics.

Andrew
seanery
Andrew,
have you tried flipping it over. The one I have won't fit one way, but flipped over fits fine.
Andyrew
I fliped it.. Ya..

Heres a pic
Andyrew
Oh, dont mind the cracked seals.. lol

For those of you that didnt see the NEX seat..

Oh, Andy, this may easy your stomach..
Mueller
Andrew, you could have at least painted the bar before putting it in !!!!

laugh.gif
Andyrew
I will when I paint my car.. I want it to match.. (ya, ya..)

I'll use the good sprayer for that.. The color I have (chevy engine red) for rattlecan is almost.. but not quite.

Andrew
Andyrew
I hate bringing back dead topics.. but dads doubting me..

Ok, I have everything nice and preped for me to weld the tube directly to the fire wall. Any no no's to this? I think thats how I understand you do it Brad.. What do you use to stick down the clutch tube so that it A: wont warp the tube, and B: something that wont melt, burn or do something else bad while its down there, Brad..

Anyone else can respond wink.gif , Brads just the one that suggested sticking something in the tube..

Thanks

Andrew
dmenche914
My clutch tube busted off in the tunnel near the front of the seats I welded it with cable installed, used a MIG welder. I drilled two 1/4 inch dia holes along tunnel driver side and removed the gear shifter to gain access. Thru gear shifter hole, i pushed the tube aginst the side of tunnel wall, and aginst the two drilled holes, I then spot tacked welded the tube thru the two holes (fillng in the holes) I immediatly cooled the tube with water, to prevent damage to the cable. Repair worked great.

use great caution however, as the plastic fuel lines run thru there, a weeping fuel line, or one that is too close could spell DOOM. gas and welding do not mix, so be very very carefull, Any fuel fumes, do not attempt this, use bolts, hose clamps, or what ever instead. And as always when welding, keep a BIG fire extingusher handy, and have a freind be with you as a fire spotter. (you won't see a fire starting too well thru a darkend welders helment!)

i also have welded the tube were it exits the fire wall, much easier, but same caution
witht he fuel lines near by. I used a metal plate(s) to cover the fuel lines so that no welding slag could hit the plastic lines (and melt thru them) again have a helper, and an extingusher, aslo recommend doing these jobs outside, not in your garage, just in case a fire gets away from you, at least you won't loose the garage / house, etc....

good luck, play it safe.

dave
Andyrew
Drilling holes, hmm I dont think I need to do that, but then again, maybe your right. I have steel fuel lines in the car, so I dont need to worry about that.

Thanks
Andrew
EdwardBlume
My clutch cable tube broke on Fri. Luckily, only 8 miles from HPH.
Andyrew
Fin cheep ars welder.

welded a hole in the tube, on the inside, so I cant use the tube anymore. Stupid welder was on low, but it still went through like it was butter. Now I have to try and figure out my options, I have to get the car out of the garage in 2 weeks or less. I will have a week to work on it. I have another tube, but I dont have the slightest how the heck I'll be able to get it in. I could saw out a square portion of the hole so I have a clean cut on my current tube, and put a patch over it. But Im still pissed.

Anyone have any idea's? I'll post a pic of my cheep welding if you guys want, I had a huge gap to work with, and couldnt get to anything.

Andrew
John
welded a hole in the tube, on the inside, so I cant use the tube anymore.

Bummer. You can't get your cable through it? Or are you worried about the cable rubbing on the hole.

What I did was cut two 1/4" holes in the side of the tunnel 1" apart, then I cut out between the holes leaving a 1/4" X 1" slot. I pushed the clutch tube over to my slot (slightly) and "plug welded" the tube to the tunnel.

It takes the same skill to weld this as it does to weld rust pinholes shut. It can take a lot of practice to weld to the side of a steel thinwalled tube without blowing through so use caution!!!! I did mine but others may want to seek help when welding the tube. I would suggest that those not skilled at welding, to attempt to clamp the tube temporarily (small conduit clamps work and only require one hole each) and find someone to weld the tube in professionally. I believe the factory never actually welded the tube in, but rather brazed the tube in place. (I'm not that knowledgeable about brazing, but I think it is done at much lower temperatures than MIG, TIG, or Stick welding) I do know the filler metal is brassy colored at the firewall. I'm not sure how you will get the tube out of the tunnel.

I guess a hole cut in the firewall would be a good start, but it sounds tough.

Good luck. welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.