Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad day... Again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
So last weekend, at the Autocross my 2.4L six started making a distressing noise. It came home on a trailer, and I spend some days trying to troubleshoot it.

Intermittent pinging type noise, not consistent. Compression check was good across the board at 125, good oil pressure, and nothing else wrong I could find. Had a friend listen to it, and he thinks it is coming from the #5 cylinder.

Today I drained the oil and pulled the LH lower valve cover. Nothing is out of place and everything still looks good.

So I pulled the the screen off the bottom of the engine...

Oh stromberg.gif !!!

Large bits of bearing material! headbang.gif

This really pisses me off because I just did the top end on this motor.

So my six is down and Betty's 4 is running very poorly, because it has a worn out 2.0 in it. I pulled her 1.8 down to rebuild it. I have all the parts, just need to clean, clean, clean......

Joe Bob
Oh well, now you can do that bottom end rebuild thread you've always thjought about.....
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif
Mark Henry
Sorry Clay sad.gif

pcar916
Sorry Clay. As some say in Arkansas... dang it all. Good thing you know how to fix that machine. Let the beer flow.
EdwardBlume
Sorry Clay.. maybe something good will come of it..
ClayPerrine
What I really need is a 964 core long block......
Anyone know where I can find one?
Eric_Shea
I think I have the same problem... sad.gif
Dr Evil
At least it is a 2.4 and not something bigger. smile.gif
bandjoey
hissyfit.gif sad.gif
Sorry too. If you need an extra hand put out the word.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 28 2010, 07:52 PM) *

You really want a 964? Just loosen some oil fittings on the engine you have and tell people it's a 964. Leaking POSs, as far as I'm concerned. We service a few of them, and they've ALL been apart for leaks ....................... The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Bummer, Clay. I hope you keep it MFI 2.4, I always thought that would be an amazing 914-6 conversion motor.

--DD
zymurgist
Ow. sad.gif
jt914-6
Sorry to hear about the problem Clay....You've got time to have your and Betty's car ready for MUSR 11!!!! beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 29 2010, 12:15 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 28 2010, 07:52 PM) *

You really want a 964? Just loosen some oil fittings on the engine you have and tell people it's a 964. Leaking POSs, as far as I'm concerned. We service a few of them, and they've ALL been apart for leaks ....................... The Cap'n

The reason I want that is because I have all the stuff to convert it to a 4.0L. But the crank in the core motor I have is bad.

And my six already leaks oil. :-D

I could use a 993 engine also.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 28 2010, 11:39 PM) *

Bummer, Clay. I hope you keep it MFI 2.4, I always thought that would be an amazing 914-6 conversion motor.

--DD

agree.gif

Probably my favorite engines are the MFI 2.2's and 2.4's.
ClayPerrine
Ok.. now this really sucks....

With the serious demise of my six, I was working on the new motor for Betty's 914. I took the heads to Lyle Cherry to have them rebuilt, and it turns out that BOTH of them are cracked and unusable! headbang.gif headbang.gif

Bill (bandjoey) offered me a set of heads off his old 1.8L engine a while back, so Saturday afternoon I am going with him to get them. Hopefully they are usable.

But I gotta say... Wayne (tat2dphreak)... you need to stay the hell away from me!!!! First, I lend you my borescope, and the Sunday after that my car eats a rod bearing. Second, I get the borescope back from you, and the next night I find out the 1.8L heads are bad. Your Bad luck is rubbing off on me!!!! chair.gif
tat2dphreak
well, fwiw, my car is running great now wink.gif

I actually touched the heads so I guess my bad luck really got on them good.. like I told Leto, nothing I touch is associated with 'Win'

I have a good 1.7 head you are welcome to have Lyle fix for you, too if that helps. if there's anything I can do to help you with either rebuild, just let me know, I'll be happy to do it.... if you need me to haul parts over from Wes'... no problem.

SLITS
Well Shorty ... I have a good to go 2.4L CIS engine ... all you would need to do is change the P&Cs, heads & cams ... A couple of hours and you're running again lol-2.gif

One of these days I will tear down my 2.7L to see what went wrong. Broken ring land, hole in piston ... who knows.

Sorry to hear you knocked #5 rod out ... it seems that #5 in a 6 is bad luck ... superior Deutscher design it is ... mad.gif

I think I'll go smoke.gif now.

bye1.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 2 2010, 10:05 AM) *

I actually touched the heads so I guess my bad luck really got on them good.. like I told Leto, nothing I touch is associated with 'Win'

I have a good 1.7 head you are welcome to have Lyle fix for you, too if that helps. if there's anything I can do to help you with either rebuild, just let me know, I'll be happy to do it.... if you need me to haul parts over from Wes'... no problem.

Clay -
I have a core motor that is fairly complete at my place you are welcome to have to contribute towards Betty's car -

TE
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Apr 2 2010, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Apr 2 2010, 10:05 AM) *

Clay -
I have a core motor that is fairly complete at my place you are welcome to have to contribute towards Betty's car -

TE

If I come get it will I actually see the mythical Phantom 914? poke.gif

I have Bill (bandjoey) who offered me a 74 1.8L core motor he has. I am picking it up on Sat.

Slits.. I appreciate the offer, but I have a 2.4T MFI core motor sitting in my garage. And I am not going to just switch out the pistons, cylinders, and heads. I am going to tear it down and rebuild the whole bottom end. There was a suggestion to have me do a thread on a six build. I might just do that!

jmill
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2010, 10:47 AM) *

There was a suggestion to have me do a thread on a six build. I might just do that!

Do it! I plan on tossing a 2.4 in mine.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2010, 10:47 AM) *

If I come get it will I actually see the mythical Phantom 914? poke.gif

I have Bill (bandjoey) who offered me a 74 1.8L core motor he has. I am picking it up on Sat.

Clay -

The mystical Phantom 914 is resting peacefully on her jack stands within 50ft of the core... and yes, I will let you see it.
I know Joey lives around the corner from you, but my offer stands.

Thom
ClayPerrine
Got the motor from Bill... and it is an extremely low mileage motor. Really original.

Pulled the heads and they are off to the machine shop. Motor is complete except for the heads.....

Betty is cleaning everything nicely.

It is coming along, as long as Wayne stays away from my garage... biggrin.gif poke.gif
tat2dphreak
oh, I'm staying away...
your good luck is still kicking it since I passed it off to you... my car is running great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.