Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations for new tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
I am in need of new tires and need some suggestions. I have the Michelin xzx 165sr15 right now on the Fuchs 4 lug wheels but noticed some dry rot. Looking for a good daily driver tire.

What to get?
Dave_Darling
Very few tires available in the original 165/80-15 size any more. Vredestien makes some that seem to work well (member horizontally-opposed here put some on his 914 six months or so ago and liked them). And there are a few "economy" tires for a lot cheaper that won't grip very well.

If you go up in size, there is a huge variety to choose from. My own bias is for dry-weather grip, so I like the super grippy tires like the Falken Azenis in 205/50-15. There are lots of tradeoffs with all of those type of tire, though, like noise and relatively low wet-weather grip and shorter life span and so on.

I'll let others comment on more "normal" street tires, as I don't have any real 914 experience with any that are currently available.

Oh, and sizes: 195/70-15 is close to the original overall diameter and preserves the gearing and such. 185/75-15 is likewise close. Going down in diameter will shorten your effective gearing and make your speedometer (and odometer) read higher than actual.

--DD
Tom_T
Dave & Amphi - it's actually the 185/70R15 which is available (old M471 option size) & 195/65R15 that is close to our size & was a factory recco back when the 165/155 sizes started to disappear or were mostly gone. IIRC Jeff Bowlsby has that letter on his classic 914 website somewhere under rare documents or one of the other sections. Also IIRC that letter had a recco for adding some steering bumpers to restrict the lock-to-lock turns of the front wheels to prevent rubbing contact on the fender &/or inner wells (esp. on compression in a bump or outer side on a turn). 195/60R15 is available, but I've not seen 185/70R15's for eons!

Go to the 914 Info section above then to the Tire Size Calculator on there & it will give you the speedo/odo error on any size tire from the original ones on your 914, so look at the tag on the gas tank top at the evap/filler area to see what the original tires size was on your particular 914 & matches the speedo/odo gearing in it. BTW - the old 165 & 155 tires were generally considered to be roughly an 80 cross section (80% width to height of cross section) - i.e.: 155(/80)SR15, 165(/80)HR15, etc. - which is the case to presume when no /## cross section is indicated on a tire (so 185R15 will be too big & tall for a stock 914 at a presumed /80 cross-section, etc.)

I don't know what engine/model you have, but the early 1.7L 4's had 155 or 165 SR's, then in 73 MY they all were upped to 165SR15, whereas the 914-6's & 2.0's had 165HR15, except 6's with the M471 or GT package had the 175/70VR15's. There's several posts in Originality & History on tries & current availability.

Here's a short bit of it Amphi - those Michelin XZX 165SR15's are still available through Lucas, Universal, Vintage & Coker tires - check for best prices. They also carry the less costly vintage repro style Vredestein in 165SR15 & 165HR15 ($105+/- ea.); as well as the much pricier original retro vintage Michelin XAS 165HR15 ($300+/- with tubes ea.), Pirelli 165SR15, XZX 165SR15 noted above, XWX 175/70VR15 ($400+ ea. yikes.gif ) - all are pretty pricey & are NOT really good snow tires if yours is an all weather DD (most aren't bad in wet.

If yours is a DD & you want to up size to 195/65R15 in either SR, TR, HR or VR speed rated tires - then there are a plethora of choices form $50-70 ea. up to the $100-200 range, & in M&S, 4 Season, Winter/Snow, Performance, HP & UHP flavors, from Everyone from the "unknown brands" making their own marque as well as for the majors (like Kelly-Springfield used to do for Bridgestone, etc.), up to Yokohama, Kumho, Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Dunlop & Goodyear (Dunlop is now just a US brand of G'year), etc., etc. You can get these online for godd prices from Tire Rack & shipped to you for local installation, or from your local trusted tire shop directly.

Generally for street tires on a DD or less regular driver the choice will be as much personal choice & what your needs & uses are, as well as whether you plan to compete in any PCA AX &/or concours events, etc. Several other classic/vintage Porsche owners whom I know swear by the Vredesteins, XZX & XAS, etc.; as well as the 195 sizes by Bridgestone T550's & Kumho's (perhaps the most bang for the buck in cost vs. performance), Yoko's, Falken, etc. If you're going to use your 914 in TN in the winter & want the 195s, then you may want to look at 2 sets - one P, HP or UHP for hot good weather driving, & another set of winter tires on other wheels for tougher duty in snow, slush & ice.

I don't recall if TN allows studded tires, but most states don't, so the newer winter/snow tires have a "grit" incorporated into the rubber compound at the tread for that purpose, which makes them more skittery on dry pavement - esp. in a better handling sports car. whereas, the 4 season & M+S ones don't have the grit & are better balanced performance in all weather - a little less sticky in dry & a little less traction in snow - but better all around & less cost than having 2 sets plus changing them out. I run an off-brand National M+S on my BMW 325e to good effect, with little traction difference from the OE Michelins but better in the wet (we do have some rain out here in CA shades.gif ).

The UTOG # & Traction Rating will give you an idea of how stick/soft the rubber compound is - with 200-400 made for stickiness & 400-600+ for longer wear - but that does not necessarily translate to better performance, since some Kumho's have a 400 but handle better than some Goodyear/Dunlop with 300's. Another indicator of better perfomance will be to step up in speed rating - you had SR's for up to 115 mph rated, whereas the 2.0 & -6 had HR or VR (139 & 159 mph respectively) - T rated is 125 IIRC but wasn't around "back in the day") - so they're built to withstand & handle at the higher speeds on an extended time basis, & the same tire in HR will handle better than its SR sibling, etc.

Also make sure to read the tires' sidewall - preferably before they install & you pay - to make sure they're not passing old stock off on you which will have a shorted useful life &/or warranty, than you will typically need when you next need to replace - see here:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.dos

Here's info on those ratings etc.:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoHome.do
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTreadwear.dos
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/...Speedrating.jsp

Tom_T
Oooops!! ... forgot to mention the 165TR15's - which slot between the SR & HR speed ratings, that are available at Discount Tires & other local chains stores without too much trouble (most won't have either S or H rated 165R15's locally, but may be able to special order them).

One guy with a 69 912 had the Nexen 165TR15's on & said he liked them for driving in sunny SoCal! shades.gif

But he pointed out that the "T" rating wasn't OE for the upper division PCA Parade level competition - after all it was a PCA Concours Judging & Prep School - so that was their bent anyway - which may not be your interest. But fyi you'd have no worries with them at local concours compet. since they apparently do not judge originality at the local level. It's mostly who has the cleanest & best cared for/maintained car at the local level - IMHO geez are those guys anal! blink.gif
amphiduck
Tom & Dave,

Thanks for all the info! After reading your comments and checking out that tire calculator, I just ordered some Michelin Pilot Exaltos 195/65 R15(from discounttires.com less than $400 shipped) that will hopefully work out pretty well. The tire apparently fits anything with a 5.5" to 7" rim width (and really hope I didn't screw this up but feel like I read somewhere that the Fuch 4 lug is 5.5" thick).

Again thanks for all the help, this forum is by far the best I've ever joined.

Tom_T
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 30 2010, 11:09 AM) *

Tom & Dave,

Thanks for all the info! After reading your comments and checking out that tire calculator, I just ordered some Michelin Pilot Exaltos 195/65 R15(from discounttires.com less than $400 shipped) that will hopefully work out pretty well. The tire apparently fits anything with a 5.5" to 7" rim width (and really hope I didn't screw this up but feel like I read somewhere that the Fuch 4 lug is 5.5" thick).

Again thanks for all the help, this forum is by far the best I've ever joined.

Yup - all of the OE late "Star" Mag-look Steelies & Fuchs, Mahles & Pedrinis were 15x5.5 J rims so you're okay on that end.

After they're installed on the car, then check clearance on full lock-to-lock turning of both wheels in both L&R turns at both fenders & both inner housings, etc., while compressing front shocks. If any potential contact, then you may want to find that Porsche factory letter on Jeff Bowlsby's Classic914 website & print it to figure out how to install those limiter devices so you don't tear up your tires. Otherwise, be careful with full lock-to-lock turns! blink.gif

Here's that letter, but it's in German & refers to a Porsche tech. doc. on that adjustment - so check with a German speaking mechanic about it:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=182109

Cheers & Happy driving.gif
Tom
///////

osvolant
Amphiduck,

How do you like your new tires (assuming you've mounted them yet)? Any problems with rubbing?

I've had my 76 2.0 for about a year and am planning to put on new tires; was going to go with 195-65's- maybe Goodyear Eagle GT's or Bridgestone Potenza RE960's. I want an all-season performance tire but not necessarily a uni-directional one. Rims are repro Fuchs.

Present tires are Michelin XZX 165-15's of uncertain age which still have some useful tread and are worn pretty evenly. Would any of the historically correct members have any use for these? Depth is about 4/32, inner sidewalls have light checking.

Where in TN are you?
Tom_T
I tried some 195's back in the early 1980's which did rub on mine with lock-to-lock turning, but don't recall the profile height - e.g.: /80, /75, /70, /65, etc.

Here's the Porsche 1998 tires recco letter on 195/65R15's with some references to other tech bulletins which IIRC recco'd putting in some parts on the steering rack to limit lock-to-lock travel to avoid rubbing.

Unfortunately - it's in German smilie_flagge6.gif - anyone out there to translate this for the members & maybe post the appropriate tech bulletin(s) for us 'murricuns flag.gif & other English speakers? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment blink.gif

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.