Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questionable vendor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
I placed an order last week to a vendor, who shall remain nameless, tuesday to be precise. I needed the pistons so I could get some machine work done during spring break (the only time I have as a student). I expected to have the pistons last friday because they are relativly close to me, but I held out until monday. After UPS had come and gone on monday without my pistons, I decided to email the vendor. Apparently they backordered my pistons without me knowing it and it would a "couple more weeks." Is it me or is this BAD business? You cant backorder stuff when they are expecting it. There was NO indication on their website or any follow up emails from the vendor that the part was on backorder.

I could wait a couple of weeks for him to get the pistons in, but I would have to push all my plans back and sit on my hands for the remaining week of spring brake (meaning my car probably wont run until the summer time).

Or I could cancel the order and find another vendor that might have the pistons in hope that I will get them before friday so I can drop that stuff off to the machine shop and work on it next weekend. My schedule is still screwed because I should be going to the machine shop tomorrow to bore out my cylinders and do headwork... but atleast I dont have to deal with a stupid vendor.

Any thoughts?

I really thought this was a good vendor. He has been praised on this forum and I think he's even a member. I wouldnt normally care for a 2 week setback, but the fact that he ignored telling me for a week really pisses me off, especially when time is such an issue.
McMark
My impression is that your window of opportunity has already passed. You won't make it in time if you switch. May as well just keep your order and wait it out. It'll probably be the same amount of time to cancel and re-order. As for if it's good or bad business: it's not nice, but I don't really think it's immoral. Sorry to hear the bad news.
Brad Roberts
It sucks on both ends. He got the call from his vendor (you know damn well he isnt making them) and then had to call you. It sucks being the middleman because you end up with all headache.

I try not to give people a date/time. Too many variables dealing with 20-30 vendors EVERY day.

B
Bleyseng
It is just too typical these days as few vendors actually STOCK parts.

I am just really happy when Brad actually does ship the parts to me. wub.gif

I always try to get all the parts I need way in advance for a project cuz this is what always happens. <_<

Geoff
rhodyguy
shit happens. not to minimalize your problem. other crap pops up when you dive into a project. do what you can now. is the bore so large that you can't start on the heads now? when you get the pistons, i can't imagine it taking to long just to open up the barrels. for parts in washington, if it's not on the shelve, most items come from oregon. quarterly inventory taxes. every minute the stuff sits in the store the meter is running.

kevin
Sammy
BTDT, now when I order parts that I need by a cetain time I call on the telly-phone and ask if they are in stock, when they will be shipped, etc. I push for a solid commitment.
Even then it can get screwed up but the chances are better in your favor.

Placing an order through a webste and then expecting the parts quickly is a roll of the dice.
Rusty
I totally understand your frustration, because sometimes I need to schedule time to work on my car.

A story: I returned from Egypt a couple of years ago. Parts were ordered WEEKS in advance, when I was still in Egypt. I was left high and dry with my car on jackstands. The vendor didn't ship parts when he said he would (and told me he DID ship them). When the packages arrived, the shipping label told a different story. I didn't have time to complete the job, so I left my car in another freaking STATE, and then went to work. finger.gif I've never gone back, and never will.

Lesson learned: I have learned to ALWAYS ask if something is in stock. If they can't put their hands on it, then you can't rely on it being there by day X. It sucks, but there are ebbs and flows in inventory, and it's impossible for a vendor to stock everything (they're not exactly rolling new 914s off the assembly line).

Just don't LIE to me. fighting19.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. I miss my smoking my hookah pipe. I can't seem to get any tobacco for it (waiting on mail order). The guy who used to bring shisha to our camp got blown up. sad.gif
Jake Raby
when I finally get my parts stuff up and going I will only ship once a week... It will state very distinctly that if you need something in less than one week that it won't happen.

I have found that most guys will wait for a good prduct, as long as they know that they have to wait for it in advance.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MattR @ Mar 29 2004, 11:16 PM)
Any thoughts?

frankly, if it was that urgent for you to get them within 3 days,
you should have called them and make sure they had them in stock.

you know, those guys (and i mean ALL online outlets) don't stock ALL parts in their catalog.
it is pretty common that some parts need to be backordered.

find a place that has 'em in stock (call around), then cancel your order with them.

Andy
MattR
I accept some responsibility. I totally should have called to check if they were in stock. If I did that I would have avoided some headache, no doubt.

My biggest beef is them putting the part on backorder without telling me. He had my email and phone number, and if he didnt have something in stock, he should have atleast told me. I guess its a risk you take when the vendor doesnt have an 'in stock' or 'out of stock' ticket on their website for each part.

I thought about taking the heads in and having the boring and balencing done later, but as it stands it will probably be at the machine shop for a week, so I wont be saving any time. If I take my parts to the shop on monday, I wont be able to work on my car until saturday at the earliest...

I guess I planned things too carefully for them to work... one f-up and the whole project goes wry.

Hey brad, do you have any 96mm KB pistons in stock? Or does anyone know a vendor that has these pistons?
Jake Raby
NO ONE has 96 KBs in stock right now. KB has back ordered them for everyone.

I'm waiting on my 50 sets to come in too........
garyh
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 30 2004, 08:44 AM)
I have found that most guys will wait for a good prduct, as long as they know that they have to wait for it in advance.

My $0.02 on this:

Reliable is more important than fast. If someone tells me 2 weeks, and it comes in less than 15 days, I'm happy.

I have other things in my life (don't we all?) so I wind up making (gasp!) schedules.

If I'm expecting it in 4 weeks, and I get an email the week before it's supposed to arrive with a new delivery date, I can work around that. (Translation: You won't be getting a christmas card, but I will order from you again.)

OTOH, if I'm paying extra for over-nite shipping, and the doof sits on it for a week, I'm pissed.

Gary.
Jake Raby
No engine project should have a "deadline" its the fastest way to cause a catastophe.
DuckRyder
Well, I feel your frustration. Here is my expectation.

If I order something I expect it to be shipped on the next business day or a phone call or e-mail explaining why it isn't. Another thing is that this 2 day delay "checking the order into our system" is bullshit. ALL the Porsche vendors could take a lesson from SUMMIT RACING. (Particularly since some are selling things like crane ignitions for nearly TWICE what summit does) You know before you order if it’s in stock or not, and if you order it before 5 pm that bitch will ship same day if it’s in stock.

This is not to say that I don't understand that smaller vendors can't stock everything, but that is not the customers fault, and does not relive the vendor of the burden of providing service. A customer should never have to call the find the status of an order period. The supplier should be advising the customer, either by an online inventory system, or by phone or E-mail the following day.

And Performance Products is the worst. They backorder EVERYTHING!!

Anyway that is my 2 cents.................
Jake Raby
some vendors have to make up the actual part for the customer, thats my position...

when you deal with no standards, everything is different.

I may have the part in stock, but probably don't have it set up to generically fit every application....
DuckRyder
Yeah, I understand that as well.

I'm talking about run of the mill type of stuff. I feel quite certain that you would let the customer know what is going on.

I've really got no idea who the fella ordered from, but one can assume that he either called or was able to order it on line. In either case, the burden to inform the customer in some way, be it an online inventory system, a note explaining the part is made to order and ships in "X" amount of time, or a phone call or E-mail lies with the vendor.

If he actually spoke to someone and wasn't told the parts were not in stock is inexcuseable.
Jake Raby
That why I don't and won't sel anything that can be bought anywhere else.... What we do to the parts is worthless if they have a generic comparable part..

I also prefer to sell all the parts in a system or subsystem together and not individually- no way to goof that up!
elwood-914
Yeah it happend to me about 2 months ago. I ordered parts and usually they are very prompt but I got concerned after about 1 1/2 weeks. I called and they said the Bursch exhaust was back ordered for 3 weeks! I just thought they should have called.
MattR
Im not questioning the fact that the pistons are backordered and that he can/cant help it. I just dont like the way he has delt with me. For me it is pretty bad to put someone on a backorder list without them knowing it. It involves reordering and sending duplicates sometimes...

I guess this thread is pretty much dead. It will come when it comes, and my case will sit split open until it does.

DuckRyder; I agree with summit, but remember they are a HUGE warehouse and stuff is always in stock. They are american cars! There is atleast a dozen of one part in stock at any time, be it pistons, cams, etc. You never have to rely on one maker to supply the whole chevy world with rocker arms... it just doesnt happen.
Brad Roberts
We have a boatload (big boat) of 914 related parts in stock. My problem: we have NO inventory control. We have NO idea what we have until we physically GO and look for it on a shelf. We also dont ship every day so we dont have a regular UPS pickup (this costs money) I have noticed a trend with CB Performance. They ALWAYS tell you 10-12 days out on shipping... then it arrives in 4 days and everyone is happy. I like this approach. It buys them time and lets you know up front it may not arrive or even ship out for 10-12 days.

If somebody calls us for a part they have to have overnight.... I have to physically drive to the nearest FedEx and ship it out.

When I do crank up online sales (some of you helped test it here on this site) then I will have to have regular pickups.

B
Bleyseng
Can we stop testing and start ordering? "We don't need no stinking inventory control"

Geoff
Brad Roberts
As soon as all my projects are done (except no.4)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.