Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 heads vs 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
I have a set of 1.7 heads that have been set up for 96mm pistons and have big valves.Would they have equal performance to stock 2.0 heads?
914Sixer
Maybe, if you know the valve size.
VaccaRabite
I am using 1.7 heads on my 2056. I do not feel that it is lacking for power.

Spark plugs are not in the best position, but unless you are running crazy compression with a wild cam, I don't think it is going to make that big a difference.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(914rat @ Mar 29 2010, 06:04 PM) *

I have a set of 1.7 heads that have been set up for 96mm pistons and have big valves.Would they have equal performance to stock 2.0 heads?

No
orange914
i've heard that cutting the head to fit the 96mm cyl. wall thickness can create issues. premium 2.0 spark plug placement is different as is valve size. but it's not like these engines are ultra high tech new technology smile.gif it's about what you want
Dave_Darling
There are 96es that fit in stock 1.7 heads, and those cylinders are too thin for decent durability. If the 1.7s are opened up to take the 96es that are intended for1.8 or 2.0 heads, no such problems.

Len says the 2.0 plug location is good for about 5% torque improvement on its own. You can make up for that difference with compression, porting, etc. But since the engine really is a system, it's tough to judge exactly what a given setup will really do unless someone has done it already and tested thoroughly. As Jake keeps saying, "It's all in the combo!"

A 1910cc motor, with heads based on the 1.7 ones, can be built to make more power and/or torque than the stock 2.0 does. With carbs, a good cam, head work, and a good header in a matched combo, I wouldn't be surprised to see 120 HP out of it. I also wouldn't be surprised to see 70 HP out of it, particularly if you just threw parts together. (Maybe 60 HP if you let me build it!! lol2.gif )

--DD
914rat
The build sheet on the heads has them bored to 1.8 96mm ,2.0 seats and valves.So they should work on the 96mm 2.0 pistons.
gothspeed
This is all good info smile.gif. I have a stock FI 1.7 and would like to with 1910cc and if possible keep the injection. Otherwise go with dual webers of proper size of which i do not know what that would be ..... yet.

orange914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 30 2010, 09:09 AM) *

This is all good info smile.gif. I have a stock FI 1.7 and would like to with 1910cc and if possible keep the injection. Otherwise go with dual webers of proper size of which i do not know what that would be ..... yet.

if you up the cc.'s and especially cam it, i'd think about swaping to a 2.0 d-jet set up. you'll run lean otherwise. it's really not bad if you buy a complete package. 2.0 injectors, harness, throttle body, ecm, misc... there was someone here just recently selling a complete set up, he was converting a 2.0 to carbs. the only issue that comes to mind right off would be 1.7 intake runners (smaller 4 stud) adapting to the 2.0 plenum. i'd think you could drill the 2.0 runners to 4 stud?

good operating d-jet is usually beter drivability , m.p.g. and emissions

good luck
gothspeed
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 30 2010, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 30 2010, 09:09 AM) *

if you up the cc.'s and especially cam it, i'd think about swaping to a 2.0 d-jet set up. you'll run lean otherwise. it's really not bad if you buy a complete package. 2.0 injectors, harness, throttle body, ecm, misc... there was someone here just recently selling a complete set up, he was converting a 2.0 to carbs. the only issue that comes to mind right off would be 1.7 intake runners (smaller 4 stud) adapting to the 2.0 plenum. i'd think you could drill the 2.0 runners to 4 stud?

good operating d-jet is usually beter drivability , m.p.g. and emissions

good luck

Good info I just got a 2.0 bottom end and am considering finding 2.0 heads. I am also considering welding up the spark plug holes and redrill them for 10mm spark plugs at the 2.0 angle.

Does anyone know what is the biggest cam that can be used on a 2056 and still be driveable on the street? SDS or some other kind of programmable injection may be the way I'll going on my setup so far.
orange914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 3 2010, 04:18 PM) *

Does anyone know what is the biggest cam that can be used on a 2056 and still be driveable on the street? SDS or some other kind of programmable injection may be the way I'll going on my setup so far.

depends, stock (modified) D-Jet f.i., jakes has a modified split duration cam thats supposed to be real good. i'm running it with a 2056 and have no complaints. you will have to tune your MPS to fit though.

there are quite a few guys here (chime in), that really know there stuff with aftermarket f.i. i'm sure you would give you even more hot cam choices.

mike
gothspeed
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 3 2010, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 3 2010, 04:18 PM) *

depends, stock (modified) D-Jet f.i., jakes has a modified split duration cam thats supposed to be real good. i'm running it with a 2056 and have no complaints. you will have to tune your MPS to fit though.

there are quite a few guys here (chime in), that really know there stuff with aftermarket f.i. i'm sure you would give you even more hot cam choices.

mike

So 2.0 d-jet injection will make the most of a 2056 with big valves and cam? If so that would be easier than programmable EFI and possibly cheaper. I have the 1.7 D-jet now so that will not work. I am shooting for 120-130HP though I do not know if that is possible on a 2056 with D-Jet.

I have not bought any EFI/intake parts yet, so I am asking for the benefit of combined 914world experience.

The 2.0 bottom end is now on a stand and will be getting disassembled soon.

Thanks for the info thus far. smile.gif
r_towle
djet with the right injectors can be swapped to the 2.0 liter.

RIch
gothspeed
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 5 2010, 05:19 PM) *

RIch

So you say my 1.7 d-jet can be converted to 2.0 use with injector upgrade? I heard the ECUs are similar (if not the same). What about the 'hand grenade' (MPS), will that need to be replaced or maybe recalibrated?

If this is possible with parts changes, tuning and adjustments, then it sounds like it will not be any more trouble than getting a new EFI system smile.gif. Will the D-jet limit how wild I can go on the cam?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 5 2010, 05:26 PM) *

RIch

So you say my 1.7 d-jet can be converted to 2.0 use with injector upgrade? I heard the ECUs are similar (if not the same). What about the 'hand grenade' (MPS), will that need to be replaced or maybe recalibrated?

If this is possible with parts changes, tuning and adjustments, then it sounds like it will not be any more trouble than getting a new EFI system smile.gif. Will the D-jet limit how wild I can go on the cam?

While I have zero experience with Jake's cam, I DO know there isn't another aftermarket grind that will work well with D-jet (or L-jet, for that matter). Not one. Unless you're willing to go the big bucks for Jake's setup, and he doesn't sell just the cam, you're stuck with the stock grind, assuming you want the car to have decent driveability and reasonable emissions levels.

The Cap'n
orange914

RIch

i think rich's statement may be a bit vague. there are alot of components that need to be matched. the 2.0 has alot of difference in components matching (1.7 vrs. 2.0). the best way is to buy a complete 2.0 take off, then next would be to familiarize yourself with all the components and operation. that way you can piece together the best combo. if you decide to peice it, read this:
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DjetParts.htm
AFTER geting your head around if thats the direction your interested in i'd be glad to help you with it based off my experiances building my 2056 d-jet part by part. it's not as bad as you might think. you DO have to be willing to take the time and $ to do it right though. i'm very happy with how mine came out. i knew i was into alot building the engine right so i didn't want to complicate the whole thing with aftermarket f.i. just yet... later after everything proves itself out, then maybe

mike
gothspeed
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2010, 05:57 PM) *

RIch

So you say my 1.7 d-jet can be converted to 2.0 use with injector upgrade? I heard the ECUs are similar (if not the same). What about the 'hand grenade' (MPS), will that need to be replaced or maybe re-calibrated?

While I have zero experience with Jake's cam, I DO know there isn't another aftermarket grind that will work well with D-jet (or L-jet, for that matter). Not one. Unless you're willing to go the big bucks for Jake's setup, and he doesn't sell just the cam, you're stuck with the stock grind, assuming you want the car to have decent driveability and reasonable emissions levels.

The Cap'n
I would really like to build as much of a monster as possible using the 71mm crank I just bought as a base. I mean full head porting, biggest pistons possible, bigger valves with cam lift to match maximum port flow smile.gif.

Programmable injection sounds good to me, I just need to figure out which system to choose. That may also determine which intake configuration (ITBs or Plenum) I will go with.
orange914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 5 2010, 06:09 PM) *

I would really like to build as much of a monster as possible using the 71mm crank I just bought as a base. I mean full head porting, biggest pistons possible, bigger valves with cam lift to match maximum port flow smile.gif.

Programmable injection sounds good to me, I just need to figure out which system to choose. That may also determine which intake configuration (ITBs or Plenum) I will go with.

you better be ready to spend the big bucks. IMO the 2056 modified d-jet brings it up power to weight quite nicely. done right is around 115-120 h.p.

on these type IV's, with major piston increase comes major engine life decrease

dollar for dollar if you want h.p. you may consider subaru or other transplants

heres another thread that may help
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1314260
gothspeed
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 5 2010, 06:21 PM) *

you better be ready to spend the big bucks. IMO the 2056 modified d-jet brings it up power to weight quite nicely. done right is around 115-120 h.p.

Sounds good to me smile.gif! I have no problem spending money as long as I get 'something' for it wink.gif. I would prefer to stick with 914 parts though. Otherwise my honda friends would convince me to put TSX honda motor in ohmy.gif!!

In your opinion how much HP is possible with a 2056 using fully programmable EFI ??

Would 98mm pistons be too big? Longevity is not the biggest concern, if I get 30k miles out of it, I wouldbe very happy smile.gif.
VaccaRabite
I say a dyno sheet a few years back for a 140hp 2056 out of Raby's shop. But that is a peaky combo with a shorter expected life span. I don't know of anything more then that about it though.

Zach
914werke
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 5 2010, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ May 5 2010, 06:21 PM) *

Sounds good to me smile.gif! I have no problem spending money as long as I get 'something' for it wink.gif. I would prefer to stick with 914 parts though. Otherwise my honda friends would convince me to put TSX honda motor in ohmy.gif!!

In your opinion how much HP is possible with a 2056 using fully programmable EFI ??

Would 98mm pistons be too big? Longevity is not the biggest concern, if I get 30k miles out of it, I wouldbe very happy smile.gif.

Example 2056, see Post #5 & #6
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2010, 08:43 PM) *

I say a dyno sheet a few years back for a 140hp 2056 out of Raby's shop. But that is a peaky combo with a shorter expected life span. I don't know of anything more then that about it though.

Zach

The 140HP 2056 combo is a norm now.. I just chassis dynoed one yesterday that put down 119HP at the rear wheels in a beetle, which is well over 140HP at the flywheel.. This engine made just at 140 on the engine dyno before we installed it into the car.

The 140HP combo is now well proven, its now an older offering that I have in service on 4 Continents in different applications and all with great results, including one European Rally 914.

We are now at 165Hp from a 2056 and thats being attained without any special or exotic parts, just a 9700 camshaft and a set of LE 200 heads with 9:1 CR.

If I built an engine that was only good for 30K miles, I'd consider it a waste of time. I drove 27,000 miles last year alone just making the daily commute to and from my house.. The 2056 in my 912E was built in 2002 and has 160K on the clock, hell I built it from mostly used parts that already had 100K on them to begin with. Back then that mild engine made 127HP, today it still puts down 107 RWHP on my chassis dyno and still gets north of 32 MPG.

The 2056 combo can really rock.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 5 2010, 10:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 5 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Zach

The 140HP 2056 combo is a norm now.. I just chassis dynoed one yesterday that put down 119HP at the rear wheels in a beetle, which is well over 140HP at the flywheel.. This engine made just at 140 on the engine dyno before we installed it into the car.

The 140HP combo is now well proven, its now an older offering that I have in service on 4 Continents in different applications and all with great results, including one European Rally 914.

We are now at 165Hp from a 2056 and thats being attained without any special or exotic parts, just a 9700 camshaft and a set of LE 200 heads with 9:1 CR.

If I built an engine that was only good for 30K miles, I'd consider it a waste of time. I drove 27,000 miles last year alone just making the daily commute to and from my house.. The 2056 in my 912E was built in 2002 and has 160K on the clock, hell I built it from mostly used parts that already had 100K on them to begin with. Back then that mild engine made 127HP, today it still puts down 107 RWHP on my chassis dyno and still gets north of 32 MPG.

The 2056 combo can really rock.

Well that 2056 sounds good!!! Is that carbed or programmable EFI?? Is that 9700 cam kit available?? Are those 9:1 pistons 'custom'?? I will be very happy with the 140HP number out of a 2056 ........ but more power is even better biggrin.gif!!!!

I have other fun vehicles to drive, so 30k miles out of my teener engine will last me 5-7 years. The reason I said such a low 'longevity' number, is because longevity is not my primary concern or objective. My primary 'objective' is FUN!! If the engine wears out, it can always be rebuilt but 'fun' is a fleeting commodity and cannot be replaced at any price. Its like being with a super hot babe for one year or being with an average boring girl for ten. If the choice is between passion OR practicality ...... I will take passion everytime w00t.gif ......... however if both are possible then all the better smile.gif.

Chris Hamilton

I would prefer to stick with 914 parts though. Otherwise my honda friends would convince me to put TSX honda motor in ohmy.gif!!

A TSX engine? Are you crazy? Who in the world would want a lightweight reliable and efficient engine making 200hp and 170ft-lbs of tq in their 914? lol-2.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 6 2010, 12:38 AM) *

I would prefer to stick with 914 parts though. Otherwise my honda friends would convince me to put TSX honda motor in ohmy.gif!!

A TSX engine? Are you crazy? Who in the world would want a lightweight reliable and efficient engine making 200hp and 170ft-lbs of tq in their 914? lol-2.gif

That is exactly what my 'H' friends would say lol tongue.gif! Have you seen or know of such a combo?? ......... I keep seeing the great numbers and reliability on their cars and know the teener 'old tech' motor cannot compete without major mods. I still cannot get myself to break the teener pedigree, however small that may be ............ but things can and do change ...... ohmy.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 6 2010, 12:38 AM) *

something to think about... i'll have to find the video of my oldest son dusting a vette' in the quarter. yes it was a 76' but it still lost to a stock 1.6 in a civic icon8.gif

hmmm... new cheap efficent tech vrs. ???

plan to spend at least 5k on the 2056. there have been cheaper builds here but i'll bet most if not all have had alot of the parts already.
Chris Hamilton
As far as I know, unlike the B-series ( integra, civic ) that were the wrong rotation, the new K-series ( TSX, RSX, Civic Si, Civic, MDX, CRV, Odyssey etc etc etc ) is the right rotation. So it should be possible to slap one of those suckers on a 901 with the KEP adapters, fab a few mounts, stick a nice radiator setup in the front bumper and get ready to make some serious cheap power!
gothspeed
yeah those TSX engines and performance parts are plentiful. I saw the Kennedy adapters you mentioned a while back. 200 reliable HP is very tempting for the price.

The 2056 sounds like a good motor to me. May go with a 2270 with that Raby 9700 cam kit.

Right now I am deciding which engine management to go with. Then that will determine if I should go with ITBs, Dual Tbs or custom plenum.

Right now it is between Redline, Haltech, SDS, Mega Squirt or others.
orange914
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ May 6 2010, 04:37 PM) *

As far as I know, unlike the B-series ( integra, civic ) that were the wrong rotation, the new K-series ( TSX, RSX, Civic Si, Civic, MDX, CRV, Odyssey etc etc etc ) is the right rotation. So it should be possible to slap one of those suckers on a 901 with the KEP adapters, fab a few mounts, stick a nice radiator setup in the front bumper and get ready to make some serious cheap power!

thats right, even the d series are reverse rotation........... confused24.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 6 2010, 09:07 PM) *

thats right, even the d series are reverse rotation........... confused24.gif

Yeah, I have a D16Z6 ( the 7200rpm variable timing version ) in my Del Sol and I can say for sure I wouldn't want one in my 914 biggrin.gif

The K-series on the other hand... now that's a different animal aktion035.gif
914werke
Well since this thread has already been hijacked with all this barf.gif Honda content,
Jake is that 9700 series cam a carb specific can?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.