Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the Hell is this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
Discovered something today that just pisses me off if I am correct. I purchased this car from a PO who had it converted to 3.0 by Motor Scheister. They sold it to him as a 3.0. They showed him the engine stamp and it appears to be a 3.0 stamp. The case however appears to be Magnesium and the casting appears to be for a 2.0 '69 911. Could someone verify this. WTF.gif

Case Casting 901.101.101.2R
Engine stamp 6298546
jasons
What's the 911/xx or 930/xx number?
brant
on magnesium....
I doubt its a 3.0

Brando
I've seen a 2.7 R case bumped to a 2.9 with some real potential!

If it's a MM engine I'd consider the fuse lit and you better start sourcing a good 930 case...
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 29 2010, 08:19 PM) *

on magnesium....
I doubt its a 3.0

If I had to bet.. my money is on Brant's response.

busmech
According to the Porsche Book by Lothar Boschen it is a 1968 911E 2.0 liter. At least that is what the ser. number says.
Dominic
According to the info I have from Bruce Andersons book as well as Wayne Dempsey's 911 Engine Rebuilding book it appears to be a 1969 911E 2.0L magnesium block (Serial Numbers: 629 8001) Originally a 140HP engine with mechanical Injection.
The Type number on the block should be: 901/09

That's a far cry from an 3.0L aluminum block, I can't believe Motor Miester is still in business chair.gif

Also found a guy on pelican parts selling a similar case:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ngine-case.html
Mark Henry
Are you sure it was MM and not a PO who did this?

This seems a bit far fetched even for MM, to easy to spot and to be found guilty of fraud IMHO. confused24.gif
MikeSpraggi
See if you can get the MM paperwork from the PO.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brando @ Mar 30 2010, 01:09 AM) *

I've seen a 2.7 R case bumped to a 2.9 with some real potential!
Me too but I don't think I'd try that trick with a 2R

If it's a MM engine I'd consider the fuse lit and you better start sourcing a good 930 case...
Hole in the oil return tube - that engine requires serious work before it turns again...
914Sixer
I hope you did not pay too much!
ellisor3
Thanks guys, I don't know for sure if the PO did or did not know it was a 2.0. I assume it was MM because the only paperwork let from the PO was an engine tag that had the PO's name and 3.0 and the engine stamp number on it. This apparently was done a few years ago. Still pretty shitty.

I guess this engine will make a nice paperweight. I bought the car primarily for the body and I look at the 3.0 as a bonus, so it isn't to bad but I have already purchased and EFI system to convert it, anyone have a 3.2 for sale????

. hissyfit.gif
davep
I'd really like to know the build # of the engine. The build # is just beyond the serial # as you can see in this photo up in the top right corner. The casting date can be seen in the lower left corner (one dot per month around the year digits). For example engine 6298554 is build # 25451 & type # 901/11. BTW, the aluminum cases have the serial facing the rear as seen here, while on the magnesium cases it faces the side.
scotty b
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 30 2010, 05:40 AM) *

Thanks guys, I don't know for sure if the PO did or did not know it was a 2.0. I assume it was MM because the only paperwork let from the PO was an engine tag that had the PO's name and 3.0 and the engine stamp number on it. This apparently was done a few years ago. Still pretty shitty.

I guess this engine will make a nice paperweight. I bought the car primarily for the body and I look at the 3.0 as a bonus, so it isn't to bad but I have already purchased and EFI system to convert it, anyone have a 3.2 for sale????

. hissyfit.gif

Don't toss it. If it is junk I may be interested in it. A little side project I have been wanting to do for a couple years now shades.gif
ellisor3
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 30 2010, 02:02 PM) *

I'd really like to know the build # of the engine. The build # is just beyond the serial # as you can see in this photo up in the top right corner. The casting date can be seen in the lower left corner (one dot per month around the year digits). For example engine 6298554 is build # 25451 & type # 901/11. BTW, the aluminum cases have the serial facing the rear as seen here, while on the magnesium cases it faces the side.

Here are the vertical #'s

901/11
ellisor3
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 30 2010, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 30 2010, 05:40 AM) *

. hissyfit.gif

Don't toss it. If it is junk I may be interested in it. A little side project I have been wanting to do for a couple years now shades.gif

I am either going to try to sell it or use it as a core replacement on a 3.2. Let me know if you are interested. The engine was in the car and running well before it came out
r_towle
If Scotty (sho got in line first) does not want it...PM me.

Rich
jasons
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Mar 30 2010, 02:48 PM) *

[
Here are the vertical #'s

901/11

For what its worth.... 901/11 is 69 911E Sportomatic per Bruce Andersons book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.