Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pulling out 1st gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener
Ok,

I'm this far into pulling 1st gear out. Do I need to pull the stack all the way out or can I just take off the 30mm nut and pull 1st gear off. I did take the fork out of the side which I'm not sure I needed to do that. Hopefully I can get this all back together blink.gif

Click to view attachment

pcar916
Just the nut. To get to the other gears you have to remove the entire intermediate plate and both stacks will come out with it. But first...

Put the gear selectors into two gears at once so it won't rotate on you.

A 6-pt deep-well socket will work best because you won't have to drive the pin out of the speedometer gear base. If you don't have one, a curved nail or rod of some sort will allow you to drive it out.

Good Luck!
Dr Evil
Here ya go. The white arrow shows the bolt to remove with the 30mm deep socket. The white line shows where to draw a line to orientate the rod and fork.

Remove the bolt in the fork, slide the fork off, and inspect the slider teeth. You can do this part now.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 29 2010, 11:10 PM) *

Here ya go. The white arrow shows the bolt to remove with the 30mm deep socket. The white line shows where to draw a line to orientate the rod and fork.

Remove the bolt in the fork, slide the fork off, and inspect the slider teeth. You can do this part now.

Miles would be proud of your artistic talent..

Rich
Dr Evil
To remove the bolt, place the tranz in gear: use the rod sticking out, and push it in or pull it out to select a gear. Obviously, if you select 1 or R it try again wink.gif

Then lock the tires with the parking break. This will hold it as you apply 80 ft/lb to remove the bolt. The tq needs to be 80 ft/lb when you reinstall it. smile.gif

When you remove the 1st gear (slides off after you remove the bolt and carrier) you can also see if your intermediate plate bearing is shot or not.
silverteener
I just took this off. It looks like the teeth on the front are rounded over pretty good. Could this be my problem? Do I need to dig in further and take all of 1st gear out?

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Take a good pic of the teeth on the slider, and on the gear where the slider teeth meshed. This is part of your problem, but either way you will need to pull the synchro package. How does the band look? Shiny? Shiny = done.
silverteener
I'll have to look into it further. The teeth on this part are very shiny but I need to figure out what is the slider and what is the band. I'll be able to look at it more tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.

Scott
Dr Evil
The slider is in your last pic. Looks like a star with 100 points on the outside. The band is the part on the gear itself that is likely shiny wink.gif

If you flip the slider as it is in your pic, and take a close up of the once sharp points, I can tell you how bad it is.
silverteener
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

here you go!

Dr Evil
Blurry. Like asking me to show you my teeth with a closed mouth wink.gif

You need to switch to the micro mode on the camera. Let me see if I have an example pic....
Dr Evil
Nope, I tend not to save those. I need to go take a pic as an example. Out to the garage...maybe later.
Dr Evil
Hold on, I'll be right back. (commercial)
silverteener
yeah my pics suck.. I can tell you that there is a groove about 1/4" in from the end. and from the end to that groove all of the teeth are worn.
Dr Evil
Alright. The yellow shows what you are looking for. It should be like the roof of a house. You can see when it is not in the pic.

Good 1st slider:
Click to view attachment

Bad teeth. Not like a roof:
Click to view attachment

Good teeth. Like a roof:
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I toss my bad bands as I get them. Here are some good ones I have. If there are not rough and dark, they are crap.

For the slider, the groove in the middle is necessary.
silverteener
1st gear is out. I think I may have some bad teeth but for me its hard to tell. I hope this is all of 1st gear anyway smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Your pics are worthless, sorry. sad.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 30 2010, 07:48 PM) *

Your pics are worthless, sorry. sad.gif

just squint doc ! no seriously,great info doc thanks for sharing
Dr Evil
Compare with what I posted and let us know.
silverteener

The band has a shiny ring around it. The teeth on the gear where the slider teeth mesh look like your picture of bad teeth. The teeth on the slider itself look a little rounded over to me.
tat2dphreak
put your camera in macro mode, turn off the flash, and use a little tripod or a book to set the camera on.. turn on a extra light to compensate for the flash, see if that helps smile.gif
Dr Evil
OK class, I have the silverteener's 1st gear, took pics, and then fixed it. All documented for your consumption smile.gif

So, here was the problem. There are NO teeth on 1st gear. The little teeth are the only things that connect 1st gear to the drive shaft. No teeth, no connection, no 1st gear.
Click to view attachment

Another contributor was the synchro band which was shot. The synchro band acts as tire tread to grip the gear and keep the teeth and slider inter-meshed. No roughness = no tread. No trapezoidal shape, not force to keep teeth engaged.
Click to view attachment

Nice groove and shine (not a good thing)
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Compare the previous pics to the used replacement parts I put on. I put a 2-5 set of teeth on, but they work fine if you put the innards inside (see pic).

MUCH better teeth:
Click to view attachment

The engagement package from a 2-5 set. Two bands, and two blocks.
Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
The MUCH better band. Note the trapezoidal shape and the roughness. The roughness is more pronounced on one side as it is used and that was the side originally pointed towards the slider. You just flip the synchro and save yourself $90 if it is not grooved like the old one.
Dr Evil
Now to the first gear slider.

It is a judgment call when it comes to these and they are a min of $350 for new ones so many want to stay with used. The old one from the silverteener is on the way out. This is usable, but it will need replacing soon and if not replaced will destroy all of the parts I just replaced. The way to tell is to look at the teeth from the side over the flat of the slider. If you can detect a point it is still workable, usually. If it is rounded, it is gone, if you can not see it over the flat then is it way past gone.

Old one:
Click to view attachment

Once of my used ones (not a great one, but usable):
Click to view attachment

Another thing to note is the smearing of the slider metal into the grooves. See the arrows in the pic that point out two of them. These should be filed down to alow for unimpeded engagement of the teeth.
Click to view attachment

I hope that answers a lot of questions for y'all smile.gif
silverteener

No wonder I couldn't find 1st gear anymore! Thanks again for all your help!

Ericv1
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 8 2010, 01:26 AM) *

Now to the first gear slider.

It is a judgment call when it comes to these and they are a min of $350 for new ones so many want to stay with used. The old one from the silverteener is on the way out. This is usable, but it will need replacing soon and if not replaced will destroy all of the parts I just replaced. The way to tell is to look at the teeth from the side over the flat of the slider. If you can detect a point it is still workable, usually. If it is rounded, it is gone, if you can not see it over the flat then is it way past gone.

Old one:
Click to view attachment

Once of my used ones (not a great one, but usable):
Click to view attachment

Another thing to note is the smearing of the slider metal into the grooves. See the arrows in the pic that point out two of them. These should be filed down to alow for unimpeded engagement of the teeth.
Click to view attachment

I hope that answers a lot of questions for y'all smile.gif

Thanks for taking the time to explain. This post makes me want to go pull my first gear for fun eventhough it's fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.