Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 D-Jet dieing at 3/4 to full throttle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Slider
Hey All,
I tried driving my 1.7 to work today and it is dieing at 3/4 to WOT. The car worked fine a couple weeks ago but today it would do fine til i got it at 3/4 throttle and it stumbled and cut out. Im not sure if its an injection issue or a fuel delivery? or something else? at that point i hadnt touched the motor since in a while .

Im currently at work so i was just looking for some idea's on what it could be. I searched on some threads and someone suggested a weak coil. mine looked like it went through WWII so i had a new Bosch Blue coil and changed it out and it still doing the same thing. I know this isnt much info. but anyone got any suggestions?
rebelmdot
My 911 was just doing the same thing and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. I would check your fuel filter as well. .02
sean_v8_914
fuel filter? 21 clicks on TPS?
Slider
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Mar 30 2010, 09:21 AM) *

fuel filter? 21 clicks on TPS?

Is it 21 clicks or 20? I checked and im getting 20 clicks on the TPS.
r_towle
Please describe "cuts out at 3/4 throttle"
Does it shut off? does it still idle?

I would remove the distributor cap and check the little ground strap that attaches the advance plates to confirm its ok.
Open up you points and check for pitting...replace as needed.
Verify your timing is correct.
Verify your MPS still holds a vacuum
Verify all your vacuum lines are still hooked up.
Verify your fuel pressure at idle.

If you have an Ljst FI motor...check your fuel pressure at idle and at 3500 rpm...it has a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...they can fail...

Rich
jshaddvw
it could be a number of different things but whenever i encounter a problem with my engine i always start with the basic tune up items. points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter. then move on to more complex things after i make sure all the simple items are out of the way. i had a similar problem to this once. i had just done a tune up including the fuel filter and new fuel lines and it ran fine for a little while. then it started hesitating. after some checking i hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and found that the pressure was around 95 psi. after some more looking around i found that the return fuel line was kinked under the tank. so i fixed the kink and reset the pressure to the correct pressure and voila its fixed. good luck and let us know how it works out.
sean_v8_914
ya, 20 clicks. embelish a bit on fault description
Slider
Ok a better description of the issue... up to ~3/4 throttle it runs fine but beyond that it seems like its not getting enough fuel i can hear the motor still running but it just chokes itself out and when i let off the throttle it dies. i can turn right around and start it back up and it will run fine until i hit ~3/4 throttle.

Ohh and before that the fuel tank was really low because i couldnt go forward in the car..only backwards in other words if i tried going forward it would stumble and not want to run. but if i used reverse the car ran fine. but of course i wasnt going that fast so im not sure if the current issue was there. i put in 5 gallons of fuel because i figured that was whats going on then.
TheCabinetmaker
clogged fuel filter, or mps not holding vacuum. Full rich can act just like fuel starvation
r_towle
Fuel filter first.
Check all your fuel lines for leaks also.

Rich
Slider
Well im thinking it is a clogged Fuel filter. i replaced it almost 2 years ago but i decided to go ahead and replace the fuel lines coming out of the tank and clean the tank since i never pulled it since ive had the car. the lines were weeping some the primary line was wet with gas. i took out the tank and check out the inside of the fuel lines.
New lines are gonna be ordered and new fuel filter and then i can check the fuel pressure.

IPB Image

and cleaned it up a bit

Before
IPB Image

After
IPB Image
DRPHIL914
recently began having similar problem.-75 2.0 d-jet. bought last nov. not running, would not stay running, had sat too long, turned out to be bad MPS, replace that along with all lines and vacuum new pump injectors filter etc etc. other than a little fast on idle, began cutting out at 3/4, the day after getting new gas, last week- just started missing bad, but checked points etc- all o.k. ?bad fuel?- car sat 3 weeks with 1/2 tank, maybe had some condensation? put some sea foam in it, 5miles of driving all of a sudden it just quit missing had full power and acceleration for 4-5 miles, then back to same thing, ???
Slider
After the car being on the back burner for awhile. I have resolved the issue.
piratenanner.gif

the fuel pump was putting out 27 PSI .. which of course is way low. so i sourced another fuel pump from a member on the board and got it replaced and along with all new rubber lines from the tank back. cleaned out the tank and replaced the fuel screen. and the fuel filter.

she runs great now! Thanks to everyone that helped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.